Battery-powered Microphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Battery-powered Microphones

Post by Mike Stranks »

I have a few of the Audio-Technica capacitor mics which can be powered either by phantom power or single AA battery (ATM10, ATM 8033, MB4K).

The MB4K has an on-off switch. I'm pondering if the switch is a power-switch or merely a 'reverse-mute' - ie if the battery is in it's powering the mic irrespective of switch position.

Can anyone shed any light? I've looked for a circuit diagram online but no luck...

Thanks!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Battery-powered Microphones

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I've had a rummage around the interweb and I can't find out either!

I'd like to think it's both a mute and a battery power switch, but it's quite possible it is just a mute.

I think you'll need to contact A-T to find out for sure.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38970 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mike Stranks »

Thanks Hugh

A-T are my next stop then...

I've just realised that I have a standalone phantom-power unit in one of my many boxes of bits. As the mic is only for livestreaming/Zoom I can easily put that unit into play with no bother.

... but I will ask A-T...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Excellent detailed response from A-T.

The switch is a power-switch so the battery can be left in without it draining because it's constantly powering the circuit. (Obviously one doesn't leave the battery in if the mic's going to be stored for moths on end.)

They've also confirmed that when phantom is applied the battery is taken out of circuit.

All good to know and useful reference. However, I've now brought out my freestanding phantom supply and am thus using my Blue 'Ember' as my Zoom/livestream mic.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Excellent. Thanks for the update Mike.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38970 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...