External router for XR18?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: External router for XR18?

Post by sth »

I use the 5GHz radio on a Mikrotik wAP ac w/my Mackie (DL16S). In big rooms, I perch it on top of one of the FOH tops (to reduce impediments to line-of-sight) and thread the Ethernet cable through the speaker cab’s top handle in its way to the stagebox to hold it in place. This has been *mostly* bulletproof, but I did have to fall back to a wired connection to my laptop once, and that was only because I made a poor troubleshooting decision that couldn’t be reversed in the field. :-|
sth

Post by Ronnie Wibbley »

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

I've invested seven British pounds on an old Talk Talk dual band router, so fingers crossed. Expect another post in a few days asking for help setting it up...
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular
Posts: 135 Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:00 am Location: Stuck behind a tractor.

Post by AlecSp »

Ronnie Wibbley wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:26 pm I've invested seven British pounds on an old Talk Talk dual band router, so fingers crossed. Expect another post in a few days asking for help setting it up...

That much?

I have a handful of old TalkTalk routers which I've used with no problems for X32 and XR18 over the last 5 years. You might have to put up with a "no internet found" message on connecting to the router, which you can just ignore, and then proceed.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 556 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK