Windows 11. Should I Upgrade?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Windows 11. Should I Upgrade?

Post by Trevor@chords4u.com »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has been brave enough to upgrade to Windows 11 and if so what are your impressions.

Regards
Trevor@chords4u.com
Posts: 3 Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 12:00 am Location: Donaghadee. Northern Ireland
Trevor Conway

Re: Windows 11. Should I Upgrade?

Post by Aled Hughes »

I’ve done it on my Surface Pro 6 with RME Babyface Pro. No problems so far with Reaper. I’m yet to try Pyramix, ProTools and Bitwig.

We haven’t yet risked upgrading the studio PCs, and probably won’t for a while.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by resistorman »

As far as I can tell, there's no compelling reason to upgrade. Usually, I fool around right away with non critical machines, but the only one of my 4 machines eligible is my main production machine ( not happening) even though the AMD Ryzen 2700x is not old at all. I have to say 11 doesn't seem finished... It's like they rushed it out after Windows X crashed and burned. I'll sit this one out until I have to upgrade, especially since they've stopped ramming weird and unnecessary updates into10.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by The Elf »

I've upgraded all my PCs *except* for my studio PC. At some point I will do it, but not before I have an up to date OS drive image backup.

No problems to report so far.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Mike Stranks »

I've just ordered a new Dell laptop which will come with Win11 as its OS.

It won't be used as a serious music computer - I'm still going strong with my secondhand Scan bought from a fellow forumite almost 6 years ago - but I'll report back if I experience any gotchas.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Trevor@chords4u.com »

Thanks everyone, it’s seems we are all being s bit cautious. Like myself fingers have probably been burnt with previous version changes.

Thanks again and cheers.
Trevor@chords4u.com
Posts: 3 Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 12:00 am Location: Donaghadee. Northern Ireland
Trevor Conway

Post by OneWorld »

Trevor@chords4u.com wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:48 pm Thanks everyone, it’s seems we are all being s bit cautious. Like myself fingers have probably been burnt with previous version changes.

Thanks again and cheers.

I such circumstances I buy myself a cheapish HDD. Make sure all the detrius is removed from my copy of my existing Win installation. Make an image, restore that image to the replacement drive (I always have a spare C:Drive with a current'ish OS installed anyway)

Drop Win11 on your C:drive and off you go, install some basic/essential software, and give it a run out, what can go wrong :-)

Only thing that is stopping me at the moment is I have a full install of NI Komplete to install if/when I go to Win11 in the near future.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by jaminem »

Not doing it...the Z490 and 10th Gen core i9 I bought last year is 'incompatible'
probably down to some TPM nonsense

Like the sound of unnecessary changes being eradicated in 11 mind ..
jaminem
Frequent Poster