Recording Church service

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Recording Church service

Post by djbre58 »

Hello Everyone,
I’m a new user but would like to ask for help or advice on a sound issue.
I film via a mobile phone to zoom our Sunday Church service and have an audio lead running from the mixer desk to an iRig2 then into the phone which seems to work,
The only problem is the vicar has a wireless mic and the sound “when you watch the video back” has an echo, but when a reader goes to the lectern to read the sound is perfect “as that mic is plugged into the system” so not sure what is the problem with the vicars mic when recorded.
Just to say I have run sound test with the vicar’s mic on Facebook live, zoom and just in church with an external mic on the phone so any help would be great but we don’t have a lot of money to spend on equipment to sort this.
David
:sos:
djbre58

Re: Recording Church service

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

djbre58 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:33 amI film via a mobile phone to zoom our Sunday Church service and have an audio lead running from the mixer desk to an iRig2 then into the phone which seems to work. The only problem is the vicar has a wireless mic and the sound ...has an echo, but when a reader goes to the lectern to read the sound is perfect “as that mic is plugged into the system”.

Trying to understand exactly what's going on here. Is the vicar's wireless mic plugged into the mixing desk as well?

Is the phone also capturing sound from its own mic as well as the iRig2?

I wonder if the 'echo' is because you're getting a direct feed from the radio mic as well as an acoustic feed -- which will be delayed by the distance of camera from vicar.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38983 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mike Stranks »

Welcome! :thumbup:

What you're trying to do with an audio feed from a church sound system can certainly work with no artefacts - I do it occasionally with no problems.

As Hugh says, it sound like you have some unwanted duplication of sources/routing which is causing the problems. There's nothing inherently 'different' about a radio-mic system so that can be discounted.

But some idea of how you're connecting things both to and from the sound system may help.

A remoter possibility is that the vicar's radio mic is either inappropriately placed or the sound is being picked up by the radio mic and another mic connected to the sound system. Humans are remarkably adept at tuning out such acosutic funnies - recording systems are not! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

Is there Bluetooth involved, like possibly on the Vicar's mic?
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by MarkOne »

I think it would be helpful to know what the radio mic is, what the desk is and how it's all routed both to the main church FOH speakers and the zoom system.

As Mike says radio mics and wired mics are all pretty much the same as far as the mixer goes.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by djbre58 »

Thanks everyone for your replies.
The vicar has a Wireless Alto Professional Radius 100 H lapel mic and the receiver is plugged into the Mixer which is a Sound-craft EPM 8.
We used a Samsung Mobile the Sunday just gone for filming and the echo was there when the vicar spoke but clear as a bell when the readers used the static lectern microphone,
So Im not sure where the problem is.
David
djbre58

Post by djbre58 »

Just found this link: its the wireless mic the vicar uses
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... stem/1DNF
David
djbre58

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

djbre58 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:00 pm ... the echo was there when the vicar spoke but clear as a bell when the readers used the static lectern microphone, so Im not sure where the problem is.

Could it be that the lectern mic (or some other nearby mic) was left faded up on the mixer when the Vicar was talking over the radio mic?

The echo effect strongly suggests there are two signal paths involved here, one experiencing a delay which is probably an acoustic delay because someone is a long way from a microphone.

You'll need to figure out what those two paths are.

Is this echo sound audible at the output of the mixer (you could probably check with headphones plugged into the mixer)?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38983 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Drew Stephenson »

The vicar isn't standing in front of a speaker when not at the lectern is he/she?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24578 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Mike Stranks »

We're all (understandably) speculating and giving variations on a theme...

Until the OP comes back, and ideally gives us a clip, we're all in 'It might be this...' territory...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster