Programmable Sequential Switch

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Programmable Sequential Switch

Post by Folderol »

Currently standing at a sniff under £250, but I need go through and sort out what I bought against what I actually used, and the value of what I already had.
Slave labour, so no costs there :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18057 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by MarkOne »

I'm really interested in getting into Arduino projects.

I'm interested in what development environment people are using, loading the code in to the device etc?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2713 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by James Perrett »

MarkOne wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 pm I'm interested in what development environment people are using, loading the code in to the device etc?

There's Arduino/Genuino which is a complete development tool that you can download. You program it in C/C++ and each program has two sections - setup() where you set all the pin functions and initialise everything, and loop() where you run your actual program. To me, it seems extremely simple.

I don't see any more advanced stuff like interrupt handling so it is strictly for simple, non time critical programs.

Our lad also has a copy of UnoArduinoSim which allows him to test his programs on a simulator before loading them onto the real hardware.
James Perrett
Posts: 14249 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by BJG145 »

Folderol wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:05 pmAt the press of a button my entire music setup will be started in the correct sequence, and with the best timing for a clean start.

I use one of these.

MarkOne wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 pm I'm really interested in getting into Teensy projects.

FTFY
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Interesting. I didn't know these were sequential :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Folderol wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:14 pm Interesting. I didn't know these were sequential :lol:

I don't know about you but I can't plug six plugs in at the same time! ;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

But for £250 you could pay one of your children (or a neighbours child) £1 a time to either plug them in in sequence or unplug them in sequence. That's 125 power-up and power-downs covered.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16999 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Mike Stranks »

A lovely piece of work Will. :thumbup:

My late father-in-law - meticulous in doing the hidden things as neatly as possible - would have whole-heartedly approved.

I know it's not a direct comparison between your one-off and off-the shelf units, but yours bears cost comparison with commercially available units that aren't nearly as sophisticated.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

James Perrett wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:54 pm
MarkOne wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 pm I'm interested in what development environment people are using, loading the code in to the device etc?

There's Arduino/Genuino which is a complete development tool that you can download. You program it in C/C++ and each program has two sections - setup() where you set all the pin functions and initialise everything, and loop() where you run your actual program. To me, it seems extremely simple.

I don't see any more advanced stuff like interrupt handling so it is strictly for simple, non time critical programs.

Our lad also has a copy of UnoArduinoSim which allows him to test his programs on a simulator before loading them onto the real hardware.

There are in fact two hardware interrupts available on the UNO (I don't know about any others in the series). I've used them in the past for exactly the purpose of precision timing. The Arduino's crystal is pretty accurate and stable (the smaller resonator ones less so).
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:01 am A lovely piece of work Will. :thumbup:

My late father-in-law - meticulous in doing the hidden things as neatly as possible - would have whole-heartedly approved.

I know it's not a direct comparison between your one-off and off-the shelf units, but yours bears cost comparison with commercially available units that aren't nearly as sophisticated.

Thanks Mike. It's in service now and I'm very happy with it - no more messing about with a bunch of switches, and zero power use when off.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Folderol wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 am There are in fact two hardware interrupts available on the UNO (I don't know about any others in the series). I've used them in the past for exactly the purpose of precision timing. The Arduino's crystal is pretty accurate and stable (the smaller resonator ones less so).

Thanks Will - I had missed that in all the Arduino code that I had looked at. I'm more used to programming PIC's where just about all inputs are handled using interrupts.
James Perrett
Posts: 14249 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page