Tuned membrane traps

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tuned membrane traps

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:clap::thumbup::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Tuned membrane traps.

Post by mjfe2 »

RichardT wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:00 pm Well, they’ve arrived. I did some measurements with a sound meter and a test tone and identified some spots in an alcove where the volume was about 10dB louder than at the listening position. That was where the sound was loudest.

So I’ve put them both there. The first thing I did was to see how much acoustic energy they were picking up - it was a lot, judged by the amount they were vibrating.

Listening has been a revelation. The first impression was of something missing in the sound and of a drier sound than before, that’s normal when I get extra treatment. As I got used the new sound, I could hear a really significant difference in clarity right across the frequency spectrum. Plus instruments seem to go further down in the frequency range than they did before.

I’ve yet to redo my Sonarworks settings, but so far it’s already clear the new traps have been an a real success. I wasn’t expecting such a difference.

Highly recommended!

Thanks for the update! Do you have any more info about your room eg dimensions, materials, other acoustic treatment etc?

Are there any points in your room where 70hz nulls and is fixed by the traps?

I'm considering some of the T40 traps and am enthused to hear that as few as two are effective in your space!
mjfe2
Frequent Poster
Eastwood Records

Re: Tuned membrane traps

Post by RichardT »

I don’t have the measurements (I’m away at the mo) but it’s a very long thin room! It will never be perfect acoustically, but it’s not too bad.

In terms of other treatment, I have some monster traps and corner traps from GIK and some auralex acoustic foam on the ceiling reflection points. Generally I’ve found that more treatment is better.

I don’t know if the tuned traps have affected any nulls, sorry - I concentrated on the listening position.

Good luck!
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4076 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland