Portable monitor screen

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Portable monitor screen

Post by Marco Mastrocola »

I know nothing about portable monitors. I currently have a 2011 MacBook Pro with a 15.4 inch display, I need a second monitor to give me more space when I am using Logic. What will be the best portable monitor I can get for my current machine? I will likely replace the Mac with a new MacBook Pro this year so I need a monitor that will work with both. What should I look for?
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Re: Portable monitor screen

Post by Rainsong »

Hey Marco! I’m not sure if this answers your question, but for portability I now to use an Ipad connected back using duet (downloadable app). Thats through a mac mini as as a single main display. Ideal for gigs. Only good if you have an ipad though (also not tested on anything other than mac mini but i don’t see why it wouldn’t work on a macbook)
Rainsong
New here

Post by Marco Mastrocola »

Wow, I didn't think of that. That could be a temporary solution for me.
Thanks
Marco Mastrocola
Regular
Marco Mastrocola Composer Musician Lecturer

Post by Rainsong »

no problem- here’s a link to duet https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/duet-display/id935754064
Rainsong
New here

Post by Guido3 »

Just as a point of note. If/when you upgrade your Mac Mini to a new model, you will be able to use sidecar which is built into MacOS. Similar to Duet but a little slicker as it is built into the OS.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210380
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by ronmac »

Guido3 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:58 am Just as a point of note. If/when you upgrade your Mac Mini to a new model, you will be able to use sidecar which is built into MacOS. Similar to Duet but a little slicker as it is built into the OS.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210380

I purchased one of the new MacMini M1 models last year (my first Mac computer) and one of my favourite features is Sidecar. Having the ability to dock my RME tools (TotalMix and DigiCheck NG) on the smaller screen frees up my main screen for the main tasks without the constant tabbing away for confidence checks. You can't discount the client wow factor of seeing those moving faders and flashing lights on a separate device!

Before entering the Mac world I used Duet for the same purpose with my WinOS computer and iPad. It worked well.
ronmac
Regular
Posts: 272 Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:00 am Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Turn the knobs 'til the music moves ya.