Hex grub screws

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Hex grub screws

Post by ef37a »

Just had a box of the stainless buggers dropped on my doormat. They range from M1.5 (ooo that's wee!) to M8 by 8.
I shall never need them all so if anyone is stuck with a wobbly knob PM me. I won't be giving too many M4s away as they are what I ordered the box for.

And no "hdex" is not a strange engineering term, just a typo. (BLOODY eyes!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16543 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: Hex grub screws

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I've taken the liberty of assuming you meant 'hex' Dave and tweaked the subject accordingly. Let us know if that wasn't the intended term.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8845 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by ef37a »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:12 pm I've taken the liberty of assuming you meant 'hex' Dave and tweaked the subject accordingly. Let us know if that wasn't the intended term.

Thanks Eddy yes, 'hex'. Can I take this opportunity for an 'old fart' moan?
It pains me greatly (and does the planet no good) that I have to buy such box of grub screws when all I need is a few M4s. When I was 11 and up, if I or dad wanted half a dozen or so 'bits' I would be despatched to the nearest hardware store (straight out of "FourCandles") and the proprietor would count me out a quantity from a cardboard carton and I would proffer my One and Six.
Net energy expended? About four Smarties. Distance travelled? Less than 2 miles by bike. Yes, yes! I know! Different world now but a 'bstd wasteful one.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

It's true, you have to buy the whole hardware or electronic range of any particular part. On the other hand, I tend to share everything around I don't need.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by James Perrett »

ef37a wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 pm Thanks Eddy yes, 'hex'. Can I take this opportunity for an 'old fart' moan?
It pains me greatly (and does the planet no good) that I have to buy such box of grub screws when all I need is a few M4s.

A quick search brings up this listing where you can buy as many as you like in the exact size that you want.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291216846712

I know that you don't like Ebay but it is great for fasteners, O-rings and other bits and pieces if your local hardware store doesn't have them. Fortunately we still have a proper hardware store in the village here although he seems to source quite a bit of his stock from CPC.
James Perrett
Posts: 14377 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by ef37a »

How does that help James? Say a 1000 people around the country each buy 3 fekking grub screws? That's a 1000 posty vans and many klugs of CO2 being spewed out.

Fair play to 'Arkwright' in the village. I don't care where he buys his bulk stock so long as I can buy 1/2 doz loose 'widgets' and NOT in a card and plastic bubble pack.

One of the problems of 'going green' is that you can look and sound like some Luddite hankering after a lost era. Well yes, many things WERE better and greener back in the day. Kit Kats came in recyclable paper and foil. People took their OWN bags and baskets to shops. But, PLASTIC isn't all bad, it can prolong the life of foods and save waste. I am a great supporter of nuclear energy and hope to see the first fusion plant come on the grid. (and no, I would NOT mind if they built one in my back yard. Healthier than being back of a bus station!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

There is a brilliant hardware place near us... If you want 10 M4 stainless nuts and screws with torx heads, they probably have them in stock. I just always feel bad about only taking 10 because the cost is usually so low.

The trouble is, he's a main stockist for Makita, Bosch professional and Festool and there are many expensive shiny things in there too :shocked:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Drew Stephenson »

ef37a wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:44 am How does that help James? Say a 1000 people around the country each buy 3 fekking grub screws? That's a 1000 posty vans and many klugs of CO2 being spewed out.

But a) those vans were probably already out doing deliveries, and b) the alternative is all those people driving themselves (because how many people live in walking distance of a hardware shop that sells this kind of stuff?) somewhere to pick them up individually.
Actually distributing them through a logistics company might easily be the most efficient way of doing it.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by James Perrett »

blinddrew wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:57 pm
ef37a wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:44 am How does that help James? Say a 1000 people around the country each buy 3 fekking grub screws? That's a 1000 posty vans and many klugs of CO2 being spewed out.

But a) those vans were probably already out doing deliveries, and b) the alternative is all those people driving themselves...

Plus it is good to keep the posties in business because a surprising number of them have been good customers of mine. As Drew says, I don't think any extra journeys are being made to deliver my small Ebay purchases.
James Perrett
Posts: 14377 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Martin Walker »

Bravo Drew - always seeing the bigger picture ;)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by ef37a »

Martin Walker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:25 pm Bravo Drew - always seeing the bigger picture ;)

The big picture really is Martin that there has been a massive increase in online shopping and every transaction means a journey in a vehicle. Of course, the logistics dept will ensure the vans are filled and routed to best efficiency but that doe not detract from the fact that there are hell of a lot more of them a hell of a lot of the time. Even in my sleepy crescent (nn5) I see 3 or 4 a day, big white diesel jobs and that does not include the Sainsburys wagon and Morrisons and Tesco, Or indeed The Mail that should no longer be called "Royal".

I have also read that between 10 and 25% of the journeys are to pickup returns!

And! DON'T get me started on junk mail!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster