Weller Soldering Iron

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Weller Soldering Iron

Post by ef37a »

I agree with Hugh, depends on the person and the experience they can prove.

In my case I think 45 years or so fixing TVs, radios, audio and microwaves should prove ability. Then I was working on live chassis for a guitar amp company past my retirement age. I hope they would give me a glowing reccy!

I would not however be 'qualified' to do certain works to my house wiring*, the regulations are very stringent. I HAVE of course! Fitted the odd extra 13A outlet. Some years ago I had to replace a switch unit in the meter cupboard so I was working with one live wire straight out of the company fuse. Nitrile gloves, insulated pliers and ensured that nothing 'earthed' was anywhere near me. Very stressful but in practice just getting one thick wire in a terminal block and screwing it tight. Some people do that every day!

The 'kids' will get the bungalow (or the local council? ) so they can sort out the rewire and the accumulation of 53 years of electronic junk.

*Who here has all the wiring qualifications?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Folderol »

There is this:
https://cpc.farnell.com/ideal-power/59r ... 20supplies

Depends on whether your iron can work on DC. That's down to how the thermal control is managed. If so, all you meed to do is arrange a suitably plug/socket combination. It's possible there are also slightly more beefy PSUs which would give you a bit of extra margin.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18059 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Wonks »

Folderol wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:19 pm There is this:
https://cpc.farnell.com/ideal-power/59r ... 20supplies

Depends on whether your iron can work on DC. That's down to how the thermal control is managed. If so, all you meed to do is arrange a suitably plug/socket combination. It's possible there are also slightly more beefy PSUs which would give you a bit of extra margin.

As the iron wants to draw 1.9A at 24v, that 1A supply will be overloaded! You'd need 24v with a 2A supply as a minimum.

And from the experiment with a 19v supply (giving 27W), a 24W power supply won't provide enough energy for the iron to stay hot in use.

This would be a better choice https://cpc.farnell.com/tiger-power-sup ... dp/PW04924

But by the time you add on shipping, you are au at £35 or so, and for £40 delivered, you can get a basic 60W temperature controlled soldering station from Amazon.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17001 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by GRAHAM99 »

There are 24v 2 amp adapters on eBay for about £7.
I can’t work out how to copy the links though.
I will try one of these out!
GRAHAM99
Regular

Post by Folderol »

Ah! I thought it was a 24W iron :oops:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

ef37a wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 pm I agree with Hugh, depends on the person and the experience they can prove.

In my case I think 45 years or so fixing TVs, radios, audio and microwaves should prove ability. Then I was working on live chassis for a guitar amp company past my retirement age. I hope they would give me a glowing reccy!

I would not however be 'qualified' to do certain works to my house wiring*, the regulations are very stringent. I HAVE of course! Fitted the odd extra 13A outlet. Some years ago I had to replace a switch unit in the meter cupboard so I was working with one live wire straight out of the company fuse. Nitrile gloves, insulated pliers and ensured that nothing 'earthed' was anywhere near me. Very stressful but in practice just getting one thick wire in a terminal block and screwing it tight. Some people do that every day!

The 'kids' will get the bungalow (or the local council? ) so they can sort out the rewire and the accumulation of 53 years of electronic junk.

*Who here has all the wiring qualifications?

Dave.

If I can see and correct faults that on paid work then I think I'm OK to do some work myself, Sparkies on YT like to complain about DIYers but some trained individuals are just as bad as a bad DIYer so going with a professional means nothing.

For example we are getting my Grans old house ready to sell and as a good few of the switches/sockets are probably original (1960's) I thought it would be a good idea to replace everything so it's modern and it matches, that's light switches, sockets, the cooker switch and the various fused outlets, all using the cheap but acceptable Crabtree Capitol range.
It also showed up the long defunct way the sockets were wired in which the downstairs sockets (excluding the kitchen which was rewired in the 80's) are spurs from sockets upstairs, now originally there would have been probably only 3 sockets in the living and dining rooms so it saved some effort.

Unfortunatly people who have added sockets have not realised this and have put extra sockets in where the regulations prohibit it (only one double or one single socket is allowed on a spur) and so as I have been replacing sockets I've been bypassing and blanking off sockets as necessary.

The new owner will probably get it rewired anyway as most of the wiring is probably original (though all PVC and I've seen no degraded cables behind and acessory) and it's all wire fuses with no RCD plus the wiring to the garage also really needs to go on it's own breaker, but rewiring was not something I fancied!
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1949 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by GRAHAM99 »

I have acquired a bag full of dimmable lighting transformers from our local recycling group.
They all say output 11.7vac 20-60w.
I have ordered a “proper” one off eBay now but I wonder if two of these could be ganged together to generate almost 24v??
GRAHAM99
Regular

Post by Folderol »

GRAHAM99 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:32 pm I have acquired a bag full of dimmable lighting transformers from our local recycling group.
They all say output 11.7vac 20-60w.
I have ordered a “proper” one off eBay now but I wonder if two of these could be ganged together to generate almost 24v??

Probably not. The dimmable bit suggests they are electronic thingies. These would not be happy wired together.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I'm all for a bit of DIY, but this really is in danger of becoming a bodge on top of a bodge on top of a bodge... all to save a few pennies.

It really would be so much more practical -- and safer -- to buy a half decent modern temperature controlled soldering iron as suggested earlier in the thread.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by DGL. »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:26 pm I'm all for a bit of DIY, but this really is in danger of becoming a bodge on top of a bodge on top of a bodge... all to save a few pennies.

It really would be so much more practical -- and safer -- to buy a half decent modern temperature controlled soldering iron as suggested earlier in the thread.

Or if you really want to get it working try bidding on this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324997637603 ... SwIMth4rlm
You'd need the correct bulgin plug to connect to it though.

Personally I would get one of the cheapo Chinese stations that includes a hot air gun, great for heatshrink.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by GRAHAM99 »

I have ordered an adaptor off eBay!!
GRAHAM99
Regular

Post by DGL. »

It's a bit battered but I have just found a Weller PS-2D if you want it for the price of postage.
The case has been cable tied together, part of the output socket has broken off (though the socket is still perfectly usable) and it currently has no plug, but it was working when last used.
DGL.
Frequent Poster