Contact mic *on* the vocalist?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Contact mic *on* the vocalist?

Post by claz »

Has anyone tried recording vocals using contact mics directly on the vocalist?

I'm curious as to what this would sound like; not looking for naturalness or fidelity, but intelligibility would be nice.

I searched YouTube, and found only this, which was run through some fx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_curTsXDjc

For those out there with experience, how would you suggest attaching the mic, and where (chest, neck)?

If you're aware of any recordings with this technique, I'd be interested in looking them up!
claz
Regular

Re: Contact mic *on* the vocalist?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Never tried it, but if I was going to, I'd be tempted to try and attach it to the side of the throat.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24547 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Best place is the vocal cords, but the singers tend to get really pissed off (as they choke).

Haven’t tried it but unlikely to be successful as contact mics rely on being attached to a resonant surface, so I doubt you’d get much from skin…….. only way to find out is to try.

Also I’d imagine intelligibility would be a huge issue if you got much at all.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5088 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Bob Bickerton »

OK I got curious!

Have a listen to this https://soundcloud.com/user-51090484/vo ... al_sharing

AKG C411 various positions levels all relative to each other, only processing a removal of LF hum.

Better than I thought.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

I knew an experimental music composer who put a mic inside his girlfriend. I never got to hear the final results.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6663 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I'm wondering if he did too...... ;)

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

AKG 411 is a condenser so I'm not surprised it's somewhat useable.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2561 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by ef37a »

https://cpc.farnell.com/sennheiser/pc3- ... 5AQAvD_BwE

I use a pair of those ^ for Skype and I have also heard myself on recordings and they are very crisp. The mic has remarkably good sensitivity for one so small but I use mine with a TEKNET USB A/D which also outputs headphone and works very well indeed.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Talking to a friend last night, apparently dual contact microphones, one each side of the larynx, were commonplace for aircraft crew in World War Two. I assume they were used to attenuate ambient noise and EQ’d to deliver intelligence.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster

Post by Wonks »

ManFromGlass wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:52 am I knew an experimental music composer who put a mic inside his girlfriend. I never got to hear the final results.

Cue the age-old joke "I really don't want to hear some xxxx* singing".

*insert applicable crude orifice term here
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:06 pm Talking to a friend last night, apparently dual contact microphones, one each side of the larynx, were commonplace for aircraft crew in World War Two. I assume they were used to attenuate ambient noise and EQ’d to deliver intelligence.

Absolutely. Known generically as 'throat mics' and still used in some noisy and hands-free comms applications.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38956 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by claz »

@Bob, thanks for posting the audio example! It sounded like perhaps you tried different locations/attachment-methods, of which the first was the most successful. Would you mind sharing what worked/didn't?

@Hugh Would there be an audio reason for the dual mics, or is it simply for redundancy?

Would the recently reviewed cortado (plus, say, an elastic collar) be suitable for this task? https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ze ... tado-mkiii Or would it make more sense to look into a purpose build throat mic?

I'm guessing, maybe incorrectly, that tactical models emphasize the speech frequencies.

Fascinating! (To me...)
claz
Regular

Post by ef37a »

claz wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:27 pm @Bob, thanks for posting the audio example! It sounded like perhaps you tried different locations/attachment-methods, of which the first was the most successful. Would you mind sharing what worked/didn't?

@Hugh Would there be an audio reason for the dual mics, or is it simply for redundancy?

Would the recently reviewed cortado (plus, say, an elastic collar) be suitable for this task? https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ze ... tado-mkiii Or would it make more sense to look into a purpose build throat mic?

I'm guessing, maybe incorrectly, that tactical models emphasize the speech frequencies.

Fascinating! (To me...)

Just a guess but I would bet the capsules are wired out of phase?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Bob Bickerton »

claz wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:27 pm @Bob, thanks for posting the audio example! It sounded like perhaps you tried different locations/attachment-methods, of which the first was the most successful. Would you mind sharing what worked/didn't?

Fascinating! (To me...)

I announce the placement at the beginning of each clip. The first one is at the side of the larynx, which is apparently where they are placed for the aircraft application. Front of the larynx less clear, chest almost inaudible, side of cheek and jaw similar to each other. Interestingly back of the neck was usable but not as clear as side of the larynx.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Some history of the laryngophone or throat mic here:

https://iasus-concepts.com/about-us/his ... hroat-mic/
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38956 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

Probably two mics to a) increase signal level as the output probably wasn’t that great given the small size of the mics but b) I’d suspect that it was mainly so that contact was maintained between the mic and the throat when the head was turned. Saved having to have a single mic that had to be held a lot more tightly against the throat.

The (RAF version) mics appear to consist of 2 x squarish magnets each with a coil of wire wrapped round them, and a thin steel strip placed over the top and it was this strip that was pressed against the throat. The coils picked up the strip’s vibration just like a guitar pickup picks up the string’s vibration.

With two coils per contact mic, they could have been configured as reverse wound reverse polarity to cancel hum, but I don’t know if that concept had been exploited at that time. It would certainly have predated the first humbucking guitar pickup patents in the later half of the 50s.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Patrick McCulley »

I don't know of any vocalists that do this, but Colin Stetson, a saxophonist, has been releasing recordings of music where he sings into his saxophone since 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMkYF2vJjzI
Patrick McCulley