Common misconceptions of the music business

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Common misconceptions of the music business

Post by Martin Walker »

There are indeed at least TWO Chris Blackwells in the music business.

This is 'our' Chris, the extremely talented drummer, who has posted on the SOS Forums:

http://www.chrisblackwell.co.uk/Biography.html

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:52 pm There are indeed at least TWO Chris Blackwells in the music business.

This is 'our' Chris, the extremely talented drummer, who has posted on the SOS Forums:

http://www.chrisblackwell.co.uk/Biography.html

Martin

Yes, I remember SOS Chris, he’s not the one I was talking about.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Radiophonic »

Since the beatles came up. I have a question. Around the beatles there was the phenomenon of those screaming girls. I question whether this was completely organic, there might have been a certain amount of astroturfing going on to market them?
Radiophonic
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Not sure what you mean by "astroturfing" but I don't think it was contrived and the band certainly did not like it, it was a large part of the reason they quit touring and playing live.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19700 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Radiophonic »

Sam Spoons wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm Not sure what you mean by "astroturfing" but I don't think it was contrived and the band certainly did not like it, it was a large part of the reason they quit touring and playing live.

What I mean by that is that it was essentially a 'forced meme' that did not come about in an organic manner. As far as I understand the beatles were a central part in how youth culture shifted post war. I have the suspicion the images they mediaized were deliberatly created to shift things in certain directions. Dont get me wrong, the beatles might be the best rock band ever. Still I have trouble believing that this youth movement of extaticly screaming girls was completly organic. Just my impression.
Radiophonic
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

I think it was a natural progression, the Beatles got a following, the media reported on it and it snowballed. The teenage hysteria was a peripheral phenomena, related but not directly caused.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Radiophonic »

Sam Spoons wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:31 pm I think it was a natural progression, the Beatles got a following, the media reported on it and it snowballed. The teenage hysteria was a peripheral phenomena, related but not directly caused.

I see. Maybe it just that I am too far removed from the whole thing. What is undoubtably true is that they had a huge impact on culture and still have. The whole thing is quite impressive. If it was a snowballing effect, we might not have seen anything like this since.
Radiophonic
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

They were part of the process that started with the early rock and rollers and the 'invention' of teenagers...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by MOF »

Still I have trouble believing that this youth movement of extaticly screaming girls was completly organic. Just my impression.

It wasn’t the first time that it happened, Sinatra then Elvis before The Beatles.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by zenguitar »

MOF wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm It wasn’t the first time that it happened, Sinatra then Elvis before The Beatles.

And then....

The Bay City Rollers.

Where did it all go wrong?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by RichardT »

zenguitar wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:59 pm
MOF wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm It wasn’t the first time that it happened, Sinatra then Elvis before The Beatles.

And then....

The Bay City Rollers.

Where did it all go wrong?

And the Osmonds….
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4173 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by N i g e l »

The Osmonds - they were big - incredible to think that "crazy horses" is almost 50yrs old & still valid.

I dont really remember hearing about fan hysteria after the 70s - is it still a thing ? Scratching my head to remember the Robbie Williams or Spice girls era.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3688 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by MOF »

The Osmonds - they were big - incredible to think that "crazy horses" is almost 50yrs old & still valid.

They were booked to do a heavy metal concert on the back of that, the rest of their repertoire didn’t go down as well.
I bought a Living Colour album because I liked the pop single, the other tracks were heavy metal, so that went back to the shop. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Post by Radiophonic »

MOF wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm
Still I have trouble believing that this youth movement of extaticly screaming girls was completly organic. Just my impression.

It wasn’t the first time that it happened, Sinatra then Elvis before The Beatles.

To be fair, Sinatra was not completly organic but heavly pushed by the new york(?) mafia. Might be that there could be something comparable going on with Elvis and the beatles. Interestingly Sinatra was pushed at a time where men were overseas in a war. Sinatra payed off a doctor to avoid service if I remember correctly.
Radiophonic
Poster

Post by MOF »

To be fair, Sinatra was not completly organic but heavly pushed by the new york(?) mafia.

There are suggestions that he got a few film roles that way but I can’t see how the Mafia had any influence on girls screaming or his success as a crooner. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Post by MixAndMatch »

Radiophonic wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:29 pm
To be fair, Sinatra was not completly organic but heavly pushed by the new york mafia(?)

Wasn't it the new york, new york mafia?
MixAndMatch
Poster

Post by zenguitar »

:clap::clap:

zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by RichardT »

MOF wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm

To be fair, Sinatra was not completly organic but heavly pushed by the new york(?) mafia. Might be that there could be something comparable going on with Elvis and the beatles. Interestingly Sinatra was pushed at a time where men were overseas in a war. Sinatra payed off a doctor to avoid service if I remember correctly.

According to Wikipedia…

Sinatra did not serve in the military during World War II. On December 11, 1943, he was officially classified 4-F ("Registrant not acceptable for military service") by his draft board because of a perforated eardrum. However, U.S. Army files reported that Sinatra was "not acceptable material from a psychiatric viewpoint", but his emotional instability was hidden to avoid "undue unpleasantness for both the selectee and the induction service".[106] Briefly, there were rumors reported by columnist Walter Winchell that Sinatra paid $40,000 to avoid the service, but the FBI found this to be without merit

RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4173 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Radiophonic »

MixAndMatch wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 pm
To be fair, Sinatra was not completly organic but heavly pushed by the new york mafia(?)

Wasn't it the new york, new york mafia?

Yes, the mafia of number ones, vagabond shoes, the king of the hill.

https://youtu.be/4nMUr8Rt2AI

MOF wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:38 pm There are suggestions that he got a few film roles that way but I can’t see how the Mafia had any influence on girls screaming or his success as a crooner. :lol:

Thats a quite nice and subtle hint there. The italian mafia was not particularly known to have direct ties to the film industry, but I won't say no more. Haha

https://youtu.be/GR5lgHUtH54
Radiophonic
Poster