Closed back headphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Closed back headphones

Post by ef37a »

Suggestions please for a pair with good sound isolation and good sound quality.

Yes, I know those two parameters are at some odds with each other but I have a dim recollection of a couple of reviews of closed back cans that were really pretty good soundwise? Old brain cannot of course remember WTF they were!

Budget is around £120 but will to go a bit more if there is a significant leap in sound quality.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16447 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: Closed back headphones

Post by shufflebeat »

Shure sh840 is nice.

It's a bit heavy and loose so I add a little "Spanish Footballer" headband if I'm listening while doing a Jane Fonda workout.

They always seem to break in the same place but I think I've worked out that is down to how you store them, further info available on this.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Mike Stranks »

When I was doing a lot of 'have to be in the same room' location recording I used Sennheiser HD280 Pro closed-back headphones. I bought them in part because of their excellent attenuation figure - better than some headphones billed specifically as external noise attenuation cans.

I was always pleased with them from a quality and isolation point of view. Not in the same class as my open-back AKG K702s, but certainly 'good enough'.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

In that price range it's definitely worth looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by MarkOne »

Another vote for Shure

I use the SRH440 extensively to monitor our live stream mix and I've always been pleased with the sound. Comfortable too.

I'm sure (see what I did there?) the 840s would be a step up in quality.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2713 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Fishnish »

Another very happy Beyerdynamic DT770 user here.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by ef37a »

Thanks for all your suggestions chaps. I am torn between the Beyers and the Sennheisers, probably will go for the latter.
Got to be wary of the impedances, a deal looked good until I noticed "250 Ohms" and as these are a birthday present for son in Feb he will need 80 Ohms min' because, in addition to a mixer and an AI he will I am sure need to use them on a tablet and phone.

I can find the Sennies at £75 so might treat myself to a pair as well!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Bob Bickerton »

Beyer DT770 80 Ohm here (x4) - good isolation and comfortable for long periods. They replaced my Sennheisers FWIW.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by ef37a »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:08 pm Beyer DT770 80 Ohm here (x4) - good isolation and comfortable for long periods. They replaced my Sennheisers FWIW.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that helps a lot (not!)
Only kidding. I think I shall let this run a few more days and then have another think.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Nobody has mentioned Beyer HD-25 amongst the best in class isolation, durable and IMO they sound good. I find them pretty comfortable too but as they are on ear rather than over ear so some find them uncomfortable for extended listening.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19583 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I think Sam means Sennheiser HD-25. Yes, good isolation, a little bass heavy and some folk find them less comfortable for long periods. Very portable though if that’s a factor.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Nazard »

Sennheiser HD300 Pro, perfect (at least for me), closed back. But I did buy them when on 1/2 price offer.

Very neutral and great bass. Not an HD 600, but the best closed back I've used, (including the DT100 and variants).
Nazard
Frequent Poster