Software compressors?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Software compressors?

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:12 am
Arpangel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am...I look at my rack and think "you’ve got a Behringer across your master buss, it just doesn’t feel right...

You're just weird! Why get bothered about the mix bus when you've got Behringer as your source and as your monitors... (and wasn't there a Behringer reverb plumbed in somewhere as well?)

Yes, a reverb too, there really is no hope, I’m obviously beyond redemption, all I can do is hope that the great one looks kindly on me, and I don’t burn in hell for all eternity.

:D:D:D

I could get a nice new set of £4,000 monitors, an SSL buss compressor, and a top end Lexicon, but what would that do for me, and my music?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by RichardT »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:19 am
Arpangel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am...I look at my rack and think "you’ve got a Behringer across your master buss, it just doesn’t feel right...

You're just weird! Why get bothered about the mix bus when you've got Behringer as your source and as your monitors... (and wasn't there a Behringer reverb plumbed in somewhere as well?)

Yes, a reverb too, there really is no hope, I’m obviously beyond redemption, all I can do is hope that the great one looks kindly on me, and I don’t burn in hell for all eternity.

I could get a nice new set of £4,000 monitors, an SSL buss compressor, and a top end Lexicon, but what would that do for me, and my music?

Quite seriously, if you got £4K monitors and fully treated your mixing space I’m pretty sure it would make a vast difference. Absolutely huge! Enormous! I think you get the idea.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4076 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Arpangel »

RichardT wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:00 am
Arpangel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:19 am

Quite seriously, if you got £4K monitors and fully treated your mixing space I’m pretty sure it would make a vast difference. Absolutely huge! Enormous! I think you get the idea.

My situation dictates, it’s not possible to treat the space, not up for discussion.
Buying more expensive items as I said, won’t do anything to help me make more music, or get the job done.
Besides, I like my Behringer FX, I don’t want, a Lexicon.
My monitors let me hear what I’m doing, maybe not optimally, and they aren’t the best by any means, but they are a lot better than than speakers some have used to make records a lot more famous than mine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am One thing has always bugged me, despite the fact that it does the job, I can’t hear anything bad, it’s transparent, I think, and it’s very versatile, when I look at my rack and think "you’ve got a Behringer across your master buss, it just doesn’t feel right, but it’s psychological definitly.
I have other hardware compressors, but they aren’t as easy to use, and have connectivity problems.

Just remember that it is probably a copy of a Drawmer so it should work effectively. You could always do what a friend of mine did, paint all the silver parts black so it doesn't look like a Behringer any more.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:19 pm
Arpangel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 am One thing has always bugged me, despite the fact that it does the job, I can’t hear anything bad, it’s transparent, I think, and it’s very versatile, when I look at my rack and think "you’ve got a Behringer across your master buss, it just doesn’t feel right, but it’s psychological definitly.
I have other hardware compressors, but they aren’t as easy to use, and have connectivity problems.

Just remember that it is probably a copy of a Drawmer so it should work effectively. You could always do what a friend of mine did, paint all the silver parts black so it doesn't look like a Behringer any more.

James does it again, I’ve got some black Hamerite in the garage, I’m on the case!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by forumuser936783 »

Sound sample of that signal chain below

f it sounds good to you, then use it.

After using all kinds of plugins, a friend gave me access to his pro studio one night. I plugged a 54 strat into a direct all tube hardware signal chain consisting of an Acme tube preamp, Pultec EQP1A EQ and a UA La-2A. These are the hardware versions of my go to plugins are based upon. So this was exciting to try.

It sounded great, clean and thick honey like dripping in goodness.

So using a compressor in the front of the chain can work just fine , if it sounds good to you.

Here is a sample of that guitar tube sound .

https://soundcloud.com/jwalker99/covid- ... al_sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
forumuser936783
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

forumuser936783 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:17 pm Sound sample of that signal chain below

f it sounds good to you, then use it.

After using all kinds of plugins, a friend gave me access to his pro studio one night. I plugged a 54 strat into a direct all tube hardware signal chain consisting of an Acme tube preamp, Pultec EQP1A EQ and a UA La-2A. These are the hardware versions of my go to plugins are based upon. So this was exciting to try.

So using a compressor in the front of the chain can work just fine , if it sounds good to you.

I couldn’t possibly tell, as I have no reference point.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

forumuser936783 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:17 pm

I liked the clean intro guitar sound, then when it got loud it was far too bright and brittle sounding for me.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Arpangel »

The mix leaves a lot to be desired, so much so, that any subtleties in tone are not really significant.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster