how to manage sounds within Roli environment

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

how to manage sounds within Roli environment

Post by barnybe »

Hi, I'm a Roli newby. Used to play "traditional" keyboards where i can switch sounds and user-banks with buttons. I had a piece of PC-software where i could search sounds of my keyboard by keywords. 1'st level, second level, etc.. This was very similar as i saw in Equator.
Now my questions:
Studio player seems to have only "favourites". I wonder if is possible to switch between favourites e.g. with loop-block?
I wonder how to organize more than 30-50 or more "favourites" if they can not be assigned to playlists.
In equator each sound has a description of the sound. Is there a Excel out there where i can more easily search throught sounds. Any help on this is highly appreciated
barnybe

Re: how to manage sounds within Roli environment

Post by The Elf »

Welcome!

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You can mark favourites and then filter to only see favourites (the heart symbol at the top of the browser).

You can additionally filter by name, engine, instrument... etc. Then you can move through this filtered list to find something you want.

This seems pretty comprehensive to me. I'm not sure what else you would need to narrow the list down. I know no way of dumping all the descriptive text externally to the browser, and I doubt the usefulness of it if it could be done - skipping through the browser list seems preferable to wading through a spreadsheet, then trying to find the references back in the browser.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20048 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by barnybe »

Thanks for the quick reply -and- sorry for reading it just now. Mail didn't inform me about an answere.
Maybe first question: how to enable push message in case of a reply?
Second: managing sounds: imagine you're on a stage, playing a song. Now i want to switch to another sound. Preferrably by a midi-switch-button. Is that possible?
Or just having several selected sound (piano, trumpet solo, strings section) to step through, one by one. Do you habe a suggestion to that?

Thanks a lot
Ps: do you know, if there is an active Roli-forum somewhere or is this the right place?
barnybe

Post by The Elf »

You can ask here by all means, but Roli Seaboard users are unlikely to be thick on the ground in any general forum. To find truly like-minded people you might be advised to try one of the subject-specific groups on Facebook.

Anyway...

When I use my Roli on stage I have it under the control of Cantabile performance software, and that handles all the patch selections, so for me it's not an issue. How others might do it I don't know.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by barnybe »

Thanks for keeping answering...
Tried ableton live lite today but it crashed 2 times already. Don't know why...
Anyway, are you using cantabile in the free version? Well, ableton live lite was for free with the blocks, so it should work somehow...
barnybe

Post by The Elf »

I don't use Ableton Live either. Sorry! FWIW I use Cantabile for stage and Cubase for studio.

I use paid-for Cantabile. That said it wouldn't be worth just copying what I use for the sake of patch selection.

Do I take it you use Roli Blocks, not Seaboard? Seaboard has a pair of patch select buttons, but I don't think that Blocks has? If this is the case then you are going to have to find some other way of switching patches, maybe from a different keyboard, or some sort of controller.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado