Have I Been Conned?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Have I Been Conned?

Post by pa28 »

After many years of using a Classic Faderport it finally gave up the ghost. I am now the owner of the latest Faderport2 Studio One.

Having been assured it will work not just on Presonus;s own products but there are multiple DAWS including Cubase it will work on. NOT.

I am using Cubase 8.5 Pro on a Win 7 Pro 64bit machine quitee simply this will not work under any circumstances the device shows up everywhere ie in midi manager, device manger etc it receives all midi inputs IE all controls on device transmit and shows as midi activity. I have tried this with 3 other pc's using Cubase 5, Nuendo 4 Cubase 8.5 32 bit/64 bit and Nothing

Am writing this on a laptop that has never had a Presonus device attached so no software conflicts and still ZILCH. Raised a support ticket with Presonus a couple of days ago and as usual has been ignored so sadly will be returning as Amazon's returns policy allows as "Not performing as expected" really hacked off with this and now need to get another controller, any good recommendations for Cubase?
pa28
Regular
Posts: 167 Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:00 am Location: u.k. London
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: Have I Been Conned?

Post by Sam Spoons »

Can't help with Cubase, and I don't have one but I'd say a Behringer X-Touch One would be worth a try. https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_x_touch_one.htm
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by The Elf »

Definitely X-Touch - it works well.

If you have an iPad and MIDI Designer you could also use my layout that emulates the Mackie MCU protocol and is very 'X-Touch-alike'... ;) At the least it would give you chance to try it out before you choose something physical.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by pa28 »

The Behringer does look like it could be replacement, and as a non "Apple" person the ipad option is unfortunately not for me.

Cheers
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Post by fatbenelton »

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but the Faderport2 is set up for Studio One out of the box and you need to ‘set it up’ for other DAW’s by holding various button combo’s on startup. Can’t remember the Cubase one but it’ll be in the documentation...Once set it stays that way until you want to change it.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 700 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by fatbenelton »

Just had a look (P18 of the manual):

By default, the FaderPort is in Studio One operation mode. To switch to Cubase
/ Nuendo operation, press and hold the NEXT button while powering on your FaderPort, then press the Bypass button to enable Cubase / Nuendo (MCU) operation.
The FaderPort is a class-compliant device in both macOS® and Windows®. Simply connect your FaderPort to a free USB port on your computer. No further installation is necessary.

You then need to go into Cubase Studio set up and add a Mackie Control (which the fader port imitates)..there are some other settings but I’ll let you read the manual rather than copy it all here.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Post by pa28 »

Fully aware of the procedure to select correct DAW on power-up. And have tried all 3 MCU options on all computers that I have with both Cubases(5 & 8.5 Pro)and Nuendo, and still nothing. will give Presonus one more day to respond before the label is printed to return this doorstop back to Amazon.

Would really like to hear if anyone has got this working same as I need.
pa28
Regular

Post by gingertimmins »

Have you done the firmware update?
Your cubase versions are quite old. Could it be that the new fader port is only compatible with newer versions?
gingertimmins
Regular

Post by fatbenelton »

I’ve just dusted mine off and installed/set up without a hitch - Cubase 11 though.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Post by pa28 »

gingertimmins wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 pm Have you done the firmware update?
Your cubase versions are quite old. Could it be that the new fader port is only compatible with newer versions?

According to Presonus the firmware update is not needed for my setup. however I did do it just make sure it wouldn't work :headbang:
pa28
Regular

Post by pa28 »

fatbenelton wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:37 pm I’ve just dusted mine off and installed/set up without a hitch - Cubase 11 though.

how does it show when adding a remote device. and is there a corresponding .DLL in say components in Steinberg?
pa28
Regular

Post by fatbenelton »

I’m on Mac/have no idea. I just set it up in studio and it works.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny