Have I Been Conned?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Have I Been Conned?

Post by The Elf »

I find the XL better for the studio, as it works in rows of 8, which is a bit of a studio 'norm'. I standardise my top row to page navigation and program launching, so the rest is available for functions. My main Cubase layout is shown below (the rainbow takes me into a screen full of colours for colouring my tracks/parts).

But I also have the smaller 5x3, which is fine for my living room laptop.

BTW I see no advantage to the SD Mk2 - it even comes with a now fixed angle stand, which kills one of the Mk1's best features!)

The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Chromeman »

Thanks for that. Very helpful re the different versions. Have gone for the 32 key in the end - as you said, having 4 banks of 8 makes a lot of sense for DAW use. Cheers.
Chromeman
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

I have the Stream Dock mini and it's very useful but I hate the wedge shape, the front panel is just not at the right angle for easy operation. I nearly bought the Stream Dock mk2 but thankfully spotted fixed front panel angle which made it a nonstarter. I have an original Stream Dock on the way from Thomann as I type.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19694 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by The Elf »

Sam Spoons wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 pm I have the Stream Dock mini and it's very useful but I hate the wedge shape, the front panel is just not at the right angle for easy operation. I nearly bought the Stream Dock mk2 but thankfully spotted fixed front panel angle which made it a nonstarter.

Here's my guess... The fixed stand is cheaper to provide.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Sam Spoons »

If the angle was about 10º it would be fine but it's far too upright :madas:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19694 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by The Elf »

On a related subject, I've just discovered the Stream Deck Pedal...
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... hp?t=81004
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by pa28 »

Having used the Behringer X Touch One for the last few weeks am very pleased with it, have asigned the function buttons as required so all good.

As this was a replacement for my failed "Faderport" I had no jog/shuffle wheel but do now. A useful function but, would suggest the manufacturer could make it more ergonomic by having the transport buttons aligned along the bottom below the relatively large jog wheel that is "in the way".

But still a good buy so far.
pa28
Regular
Posts: 167 Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:00 am Location: u.k. London
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.