Rode NT5 matched pair... gain not matched!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Rode NT5 matched pair... gain not matched!

Post by c_h_music »

Hi folks, I bought a matched pair of NT5 mics about 7 months ago, primarily for miking piano. I am finding that I always have to set the gain of one of them on my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) a little higher than the other. Is this to be expected in a matched pair? I have tried changing cables, tried swapping inputs, positioned them in exactly the same orientation side by side, even tried a different interface, etc. the same mic always needs more gain to match the other one. To be frank, once the gain is matched, I cannot detect any spectrum difference so that's not a problem.

Weirdly I have found once or twice in those months that the gain matched fine, but only for a session and then next time I took them out it was back to old tricks.

I contacted Rode tech support but never heard back from them. Is there a problem with the mic, and do you think i should return it after all this time, or do I just live with it?
c_h_music
Poster

Re: Rode NT5 matched pair... gain not matched!

Post by Wonks »

I'd try contacting Rode again. You should be able to put them up as stereo pair, set the input gain of the mic pres in your audio interface to the same value and expect a balanced result.

It sounds like the capsules may well be matched, but the body electronics aren't.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Mike Stranks »

If you bought these new then there's definitely something not right.

I presume you registered for the 10-year warranty, but even if you didn't you're still within the usual 1-year warranty. Go back to your retailer. As they've sold you something that's not as advertised (matched pair) then it's up to them to sort it.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

^^^^ Indeed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by c_h_music »

thanks folks, have put in a warranty request, hope they swap them!
c_h_music
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

c_h_music wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:45 am Hi folks, I bought a matched pair of NT5 mics about 7 months ago, primarily for miking piano. I am finding that I always have to set the gain of one of them on my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) a little higher than the other. Is this to be expected in a matched pair?

No. The clue is in the name... they are supposed to have matched on-axis sensitivity, matched frequency responses (both on- and off-axis), and matched polar patterns.

If that's not the case, return them for a pair that is properly matched.

I have tried changing cables, tried swapping inputs, positioned them in exactly the same orientation side by side, even tried a different interface, etc. the same mic always needs more gain to match the other one.

All good, sensible checks that points to a faulty mic.

Weirdly I have found once or twice in those months that the gain matched fine, but only for a session and then next time I took them out it was back to old tricks.

Thats annoying... intermittent faults are always more difficult, but as they are unmatched more than matched I'd still return them for replacements.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38978 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...