EQ monitors to sound like NS10

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

EQ monitors to sound like NS10

Post by wearashirt »

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried equalizing their monitoring output (whether software or hardware) to make it sound like a yamaha ns10 or at least drive the mids higher. Just want to know anyone's experience with that.
wearashirt
Regular
Posts: 123 Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 am Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: EQ monitors to sound like NS10

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The value of the NS10 went beyond its midrange dominance, and that's not something that can be fully replicated with EQ.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

Personally, I find turning the monitoring level right down and/or listening form the hallway outside the studio just as effective at judging the midrange balance. (And reviewing the mix on a phone or laptop is helpful too.)
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38971 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Luke W »

I'm glad that my monitors don't sound like NS10's personally, so it's not something I've tried :D

It'd certainly be possible to insert an EQ over your DAW/interface output, or stick a hardware one in the chain before your monitors, but there's more to what makes a speaker sound like itself than its frequency response, so how helpful it would be overall is questionable.

I think it's also worth mentioning that there's nothing magical about NS10's, they just became commonplace because they were a viable option at the time. Even with lots more choice these days there's still a lot of talk of them being a "must have" for reference. To me, that sort of talk is in the same category as "having" to use an SM57 on a guitar amp...

Not saying they don't have their uses, and this is just my opinion of course. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Dennis J Wilkins »

Hugh is right that EQ won't make your speaker (especially if a ported one) sound like an NS10 and the article he cites has a fine explanation of why the NS10 is still useful. The additional paper linked in that article (THE YAMAHA NS10M: TWENTY YEARS A REFERENCE MONITOR. WHY?) shows plots for frequency response, distortion, impulse response and waterfall plots that really identify how the NS10 "out-performs" many other speakers tested. The step function response, harmonic distortion performance and lack of low end "slop" in the waterfall plot for the NS10 are all excellent. Of course the lack of low end itself and the peak in the 1-2 kHz region tend to focus on the critical midrange.

I used NS10's for years as a secondary monitor, and found an interesting alternative -- NS10 impulse response functions come much closer than EQ, and IK Multimedia's ARC system (3.0 now) includes a "white cone" speaker emulation in its virtual monitoring system that works well. I removed the NS10's from my studio a few years ago when I remodeled and added new main monitors (I recall Hugh suggested to me to remove the NS10's since they would affect the edge diffraction performance of the main speakers that were essentially stacked right nest to them). I haven't missed the NS10's, but since clean, like-new units are selling for four to five times what I paid, they look like a good investment!

As Hugh said, listen to your mixes at low levels to emphasize hearing the midrange, and if you have ARC, you can use several of its virtual monitors to evaluate how the mix translates to other systems.
Dennis J Wilkins
Poster
Posts: 38 Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 am Location: Colorado USA
Dennis - Studio 12 Below - Colorado USA

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I think Sonarworks offers a 'white cone' option in it's preset options - but again, this just mimics the EQ and doesn't give you any of the time-domain benefits.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

Please don't believe the NS10 hype. I still have some here and I can tell you they sound harsh and tiring on the ear, and always did. Can they be a useful reference? Yes. But they are not a magic wand, despite what many want to believe.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Mixedup »

There's little point IMHO. As others have indicated, the benefits were about more than.the restricted bandwidth. A big part of it was the fast time-domain response which meant no smearing of the bass (which is there albeit down in level...). You can't recreate that with an EQ or with an impulse response if listening over speakers that aren't capable of that response time. Perhaps over headphones -- the Acustica Sienna emulation is a good likeness with the right headphones. So you might as well just use a HPF if you want to focus your ears on the midrange...
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Sealed box design, tight bass, very controlled, there were a few speakers that were in the same ball park, AR Red Box was one cheaper alternative, I liked NS10’s a lot, o once you’ve got used to them, most other things sound really coloured.
I can’t see the point in trying to replicate them, as Hugh said there are other things going on, it’s very complex, not worth bothering.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

AE22s are a later, much better-sounding (IMHO - and are my main monitors), sealed design alternative, but sadly no longer made.

I keep my NS10Ms to give visitors a warm feeling. They impress clients, but are never used.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by James Perrett »

The Elf wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 amI keep my NS10Ms to give visitors a warm feeling. They impress clients, but are never used.

That's exactly why I keep them too.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by sc1460 »

My NS10s are tertiary monitors, I like them and refer to them just to see what they say about a track, they really do point out when the mid-range is too bright or when kick and bass are not working well for playback on small speakers, and I think that’s useful on some genres, eg folk, rock, guitar bands.

Interestingly when I play R&B EDM on NS10s they point how bright and harsh that genre can sometimes get, but those tracks sell millions so indicating a massive difference between the generation that heard tracks mixed through NS10s eg fleetwood Mac, U2 etc and the generation that buys Megan Thee Stallion, Guetta, Martin Garrix EDM. I can’t see the NS10s as useful for them.

May be more useful buying some 2nd hand Avantone Cubes.

Cheers
H
sc1460
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 am AE22s are a later, much better-sounding (IMHO - and are my main monitors), sealed design alternative, but sadly no longer made.

I keep my NS10Ms to give visitors a warm feeling. They impress clients, but are never used.

Damn you! I’ve been looking for a pair of AE22’s for ages.

:(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Albatross »

Here's some on eBay
Albatross
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2413 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yeah... but they are £600 more than Arpy would want to pay... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38971 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:42 pm
The Elf wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 am AE22s are a later, much better-sounding (IMHO - and are my main monitors), sealed design alternative, but sadly no longer made.

Damn you! I’ve been looking for a pair of AE22’s for ages.

Then I'd better not tell you the price I managed to pay - when they were trying to get rid of final stock after cancelling production... :oops::lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Albatross »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:29 pm Yeah... but they are £600 more than Arpy would want to pay... :lol:

Ah, then its the Argos Acoustic Solutions AV-20 or 21. Twenty quid and I mix on them and a couple of housebricks.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:29 pm Yeah... but they are £600 more than Arpy would want to pay... :lol:

That is a bit steep.

Acoustic Solutions? They aren’t actually a bad speaker, for the money.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:52 am

That is a bit steep.

Acoustic Solutions? They aren’t actually a bad speaker, for the money.

Acoustic Energy, not Solutions.

If they’re in good condition then they could be worth it. They are great speakers.

But like The Elf, I also got mine new for an outrageously cheap clearance price a few years ago!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Albatross »

Aled Hughes wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:56 am

Two different things. I know Arpy has some 'Acoustic Solutions' 'cos I got him to buy them :lol:
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

Albatross wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:23 am
Aled Hughes wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:56 am

Two different things. I know Arpy has some 'Acoustic Solutions' 'cos I got him to buy them :lol:

Sorry, I didn’t see your post! I thought he was referring to the AE22.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru