Mini XLRs

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Mini XLRs

Post by ef37a »

Wow! Very wee aren't they?

Strangely. even having been involved with audio all my life I had never had hands on a mini XLR until CPC sent me two sets yesterday.

I am doing a power supply mod to two Berry mixers (will give C&V when finished) and standard XLRs would be too clumpy. I had imagined 'minis' to be about the size of a DIN plug? Not! They are smaller in diameter than my left little finger. These are going to be a real challenge to my significantly attenuated soldering skils!

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16534 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: Mini XLRs

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes, they are very wee indeed... not a big fan, but they have their uses in things like headphones and portable recorders.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:59 pm Yes, they are very wee indeed... not a big fan, but they have their uses in things like headphones and portable recorders.

I hope these will be reliable Hugh, they will be carrying about 650mA 50Hz per pin. I would have preferred something like a 3 pin male and female locking DIN line connector but thought they would be a bit of a pain to find?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Plenty at CPC. I like the screw threaded Lumberg DINs...

https://cpc.farnell.com/lumberg/sv30/pl ... dp/CN16845
https://cpc.farnell.com/lumberg/kv30/so ... pd-mi-acce

But there are also latching and bayonet types.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Arpangel »

Mini XLR's :(
I inherited some of Mike Skeets kit, and it’s got them all over it, including mic leads, and adaptors, I’ve spent loads of time rewiring things,I just find them irritatingly inconvenient. He liked them because they are space saving, and they improve the look of complex mic rigs, all right, I must admit they do that at least.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I always liked the Lemo circular connectors. They're not cheap so probably overkill for a Berry mixer but they are extremely reliable and available in a very wide range of sizes and configurations.

They also make a cheaper range with plastic shells which seem fine.

Just checked a couple of data sheets for the mini XLR connectors and they have no problems with 650mA as the Cannon ones are rated at 3A per contact and the Rean ones claim 5A per contact.
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by MOF »

These are going to be a real challenge to my significantly attenuated soldering skils!

You won’t want to try soldering the 4pin Lemo connector that Sound Devices use for their Timecode socket then. The pins are so close to one another that solder just bridged the very small gap no matter how careful I was. I ended up threading a strip of paper around the pins I didn’t want to solder cable to.
Sound Devices also use TA3 (mini xlr) connectors to save space on some inputs and outputs.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by ef37a »

MOF wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:58 pm
These are going to be a real challenge to my significantly attenuated soldering skils!

You won’t want to try soldering the 4pin Lemo connector that Sound Devices use for their Timecode socket then. The pins are so close to one another that solder just bridged the very small gap no matter how careful I was. I ended up threading a strip of paper around the pins I didn’t want to solder cable to.
Sound Devices also use TA3 (mini xlr) connectors to save space on some inputs and outputs.

Ah! My trick with DINs and D subs was to run silicone sleeving over each pin as I wired it. Also I did not try to solder the wire TO the pin bucket. 'Tin wire, flood bucket, heat bucket, poke in wire, sleeve.'

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

ef37a wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 am

Ah! My trick with DINs and D subs was to run silicone sleeving over each pin as I wired it. Also I did not try to solder the wire TO the pin bucket. 'Tin wire, flood bucket, heat bucket, poke in wire, sleeve.'

Dave.

Ha! Pretty much my approach to minute plugs and sockets.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by MOF »

These pins were so close that one slight false move and I’d soldered two pins, hence my strip of paper.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by ef37a »

MOF wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:45 pm These pins were so close that one slight false move and I’d soldered two pins, hence my strip of paper.

Whatever floats you boat! My technique relies on a 'dry' solder iron tip and I touch it to the side of the 'flooded' pin then poke the wire in PDQ. Still a bloody fiddle mind!

I now have to gear up for the job. No good first thing in the morning. Too bleary. No good after about 8pm, knackered. So round about 'pre lunch' is favourite.

BTW I use a mini vice but always use the opposite gender connector to hold the actual 'job'.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Kwackman »

ef37a wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:14 pmalways use the opposite gender connector to hold the actual 'job'.

When I learnt this many years ago, it changed my soldering life for ever! Especially making MIDI cables.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Folderol »

Kwackman wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:00 pm
ef37a wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:14 pmalways use the opposite gender connector to hold the actual 'job'.

When I learnt this many years ago, it changed my soldering life for ever! Especially making MIDI cables.

I used to have a block of wood with holes for just about every plug imaginable - it mysteriously disappeared from my tool box one day :cry:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Martin Walker »

Folderol wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:08 pm I used to have a block of wood with holes for just about every plug imaginable - it mysteriously disappeared from my tool box one day :cry:

I really ought to have a go at making one of those for my own use, as those seemingly clever workmates with magnifying glasses and adjustable crocodile clips have an infuriating habit of dropping the plug at the least provocation :madas:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I use one of my ART DTI boxes. There's always one kicking around the studio and it makes the perfect solution for holding a connector in place while I'm soldering.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by DGL. »

Yes the 4 pin Lemo, I have a few Trantec wireless systems that use a 4 pin Lemo, not the easiest things to wire at all. My dB units that use a custom locking 3.5mm TS are much easier, though it requires a specific model of beltpack transmitter if you don't want power present.

As for mini XLR, I was going to use one of the 5 pin Rean connectors for replacing the 5 pin unobtainum connectors on some very old TOA transmitters but haven't got around to it yet, in reality all 5 pins are not needed for most uses but I wanted to maintain the pinout.

Anyone who has had any experience with wireless systems will be experienced in a few different tiny connectors and they are all a bit of a pain!
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Funkyflash5 »

I've got a rig I built for regular xlrs and 1/4" jacks that includes a toggle clamp to hold the cable and adding additional connectors wouldn't be too hard, but I'm still tempted by https://www.austinmics.com/hot-holder-pro/
Funkyflash5
Regular
Posts: 215 Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:43 am Location: Wisconsin, USA

Post by MarkOne »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 am I use one of my ART DTI boxes. There's always one kicking around the studio and it makes the perfect solution for holding a connector in place while I'm soldering.

I've found the Behringer cable tester has all the needed sockets in a handy steel lump that makes cable making a lot easier.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Mike Stranks »

MarkOne wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 am
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 am I use one of my ART DTI boxes. There's always one kicking around the studio and it makes the perfect solution for holding a connector in place while I'm soldering.

I've found the Behringer cable tester has all the needed sockets in a handy steel lump that makes cable making a lot easier.

Good call! I use a vice whose jaws can be tilted left/right and front/back to give the best 'approach angle' for the iron, and an illuminated magnifier. The problem I have these days is a slight tremor in my 'soldering' hand... :( which is why I'm turning more to 'made-up' cables if I can find them...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:D Yep. I've used a StudioSpares cable tester as a soldering base too...
Hugh Robjohns