Monitor L, Monitor R, Stage Left, Stage Right

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Monitor L, Monitor R, Stage Left, Stage Right

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

Is Monitor Left on my left as I look at the monitors, or left as the performers would see the monitors facing the audience. Is Stage Left left as the audience sees it, or left as the performers (don't) see it.

I've often wondered but never been concerned, until now. I'm re-connecting everything including various monitors in my new room and I really want to get it right finally. I'm pretending to myself that I've become more professional.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Monitor L, Monitor R, Stage Left, Stage Right

Post by djangodeadman »

Stage Left and Right are as seen FROM the stage, ie the performer’s viewpoint. I believe this convention originates in the theatre, but is applied in music venues too.

I’ve not considered Monitor Left and Right before, but now that I do, I would imagine them to be from the listener’s perspective, ie the opposite of the stage convention.
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

As said above, stage left/right is as perceived by someone standing on the stage looking out to the audience.

If the monitors are on the stage for the benefit of the artists then I'd use the same frame of reference for them.

The audience perspective is typically referred to as camera left/right, and that is obviously the reverse or mirror image of stage left/right.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Sam Spoons »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:22 am The audience perspective is typically referred to as camera left/right, and that is obviously the reverse or mirror image of stage left/right.

Or, in the theatre, "House Left/Right"

WRT stage monitors, I can't remember the last time I worked with stereo foldback but for several mono monitors I number them from my perspective (I also have my tom mic channels arranged in the same way) and from front to back.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Saxum esse et non provolvere »

Yeah - but what if an artiste wearing stereo IEMs turns his / her back to the audience ?
Saxum esse et non provolvere
Poster
Posts: 74 Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wherever my van is, UK

Post by Sam Spoons »

"Stage right is the actor’s right as the actor stands on the stage facing the audience.
Stage left is the actor’s left as the actor stands on the stage facing the audience.
If the actor is facing up stage (toward the back wall), stage right and stage left are determined as if the actor were standing on the stage facing the audience. So the left side of the stage is always the left side. It doesn’t change when the actor faces different directions. The right side of the stage is always the right side. It also doesn’t change when the actor faces different directions."
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Sam Spoons wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 am Or, in the theatre, "House Left/Right"

Quite right! Sorry -- my TV background shining through!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Sam Spoons »

Not suggesting you were wrong Hugh (heaven forfend :blush: ) just that there were other conventions... :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by djangodeadman »

For some reason I had assumed the question referred to studio monitors. In the case of stage monitors I would refer to the monitors from the performer’s viewpoint.
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by Dave Rowles »

Saxum esse et non provolvere wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:40 am Yeah - but what if an artiste wearing stereo IEMs turns his / her back to the audience ?

They deal with it being the wrong way around :P
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by forumuser840717 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:23 pm
Sam Spoons wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 am Or, in the theatre, "House Left/Right"

Quite right! Sorry -- my TV background shining through!

Or stereo/listener left/right in radio world.

And as for IEMs, they're just left and right since the wearer's persepctive of them never changes. Not without some discomfort anyway.

It can be 'fun' remembering to whom one is talking and which perspective they use when dealing with stage managers talking layouts at the same time as working on radios with a team of riggers hanging mics in a roof space where they can't see the stage properly and arm waving/pointing/hand signals aren't visible!
forumuser840717
Regular