Modular, Maths, Madness.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Modular, Maths, Madness.

Post by Arpangel »

Had a good day yesterday with the modular, haven’t used it for awhile.
I find that if it looks like it’s going somewhere, it does it in the first few minutes, if not, I tend to give up.
Maths module is always a struggle for me, but yesterday I made great inroads, I was using it as a dual audio oscillator, with one channel modulating another, feeding outputs back to inputs, some amazing sounds started to emerge, I then added a Jupiter Storm for further modulation, with more feedback patching, the result is a dense wall of generative sounds, that are constantly changing, it goes from abstract to conventional little melodies and everything in between, I added the Behringer ARP 2500 filter, which I modulated with the ARP Sample And Hold, and put the whole lot through a Boss RSD10 delay, I’m saving this for the next album, so I’ll post a link when it’s done.
It spurred me on, I was rapidly loosing enthusiasm, and I was surprised at how easily it got going, it almost seemed to have a life of its own.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Modular, Maths, Madness.

Post by MarkOne »

Sounds like fun... Look forward to hearing the result eventually :)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Ben Asaro »

If you enjoy feedback and intense modulation patches, you should add the WORNG Vector Space to your short list.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:13 pm If you enjoy feedback and intense modulation patches, you should add the WORNG Vector Space to your short list.

Thanks Ben, just checked that out, looks really good, and not an unreasonable price.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by jaypodesta »

Always find this useful for a Maths refresher. Do you have/use it?

https://w2.mat.ucsb.edu/mat276n/resourc ... ntable.pdf
jaypodesta
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

jaypodesta wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:14 pm Always find this useful for a Maths refresher. Do you have/use it?

https://w2.mat.ucsb.edu/mat276n/resourc ... ntable.pdf

Thanks a lot for that, no, I don’t have it.
I understand the controls, patching, but how to get certain things is still a mystery.
I just turn knobs! it can get very complex, and dense, I love it when you just turn one knob a little bit, and massive changes happen, like in my current patch, I’m leaving it patched up, that’s the problem with modular, no memories! but that’s a good thing too.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by jaypodesta »

Glad it is of use. I find I just forget what stuff can do in modular. So things like that help jog the memory. And then hopefully when I’m trying to achieve something I’ll remember or remember to have a quick look at it again.
jaypodesta
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

jaypodesta wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:52 pm Glad it is of use. I find I just forget what stuff can do in modular. So things like that help jog the memory. And then hopefully when I’m trying to achieve something I’ll remember or remember to have a quick look at it again.

I just recorded another pass using that random patch, it’s amazing, how short a time, things become less interesting, and I pulled out all of the patch cords.
I’m layering up these patches, but that’s it for the modular, too much of a good thing, I’m going to add some Hammond, and piano, it keeps me grounded.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

"I feel at home here in this chaos, because chaos suggests images to me"

Francis Bacon.

Sums up modular for me, and has the same effect, images in my mind, I don’t care if anyone else can see them, I can.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster