Why EQ indicates noise between ~7k and 20k after Waves "Maserati GRP Stereo" PlugIn in the "Master mode"?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Why EQ indicates noise between ~7k and 20k after Waves "Maserati GRP Stereo" PlugIn in the "Master mode"?

Post by AMusicPlayerPlus »

Hi All,

Question, why when I'm placing Waves "Maserati GRP Stereo" PlugIn in the "Master mode", and then placing FabFilter Pro-Q3, the EQ indicates some noise between ~7k and 20k?

Is this noise goes also to the final mix?

How to avoid it?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Screenshot:
why_1.jpg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LhRRZU ... sp=sharing
AMusicPlayerPlus
Poster

Re: Why EQ indicates noise between ~7k and 20k after Waves "Maserati GRP Stereo" PlugIn in the "Master mode"?

Post by Wonks »

If the plug-in is modelling hardware, then the hardware may well produce such noise, so the plug-in also produces it as it is part of that hardware's sound.

It may also be some aliasing noise due to upsampling within the plug-in and a less than perfect filter when it downsamples the output.

But look at the actual noise level. Even at 20kHz it's at less than -100dBfs. You simply won't hear it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Re: Why EQ indicates noise between ~7k and 20k after Waves "Maserati GRP Stereo" PlugIn in the "Master mode"?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

AMusicPlayerPlus wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:52 am ...why when I'm placing Waves "Maserati GRP Stereo" PlugIn in the "Master mode", and then placing FabFilter Pro-Q3, the EQ indicates some noise between ~7k and 20k?

Because the Maserati plugin adds a chunk of 'air eq', and you can see the effect of it on the system noise floor.

Is this noise goes also to the final mix?

Yes.... obviously... but (a) even at 20kHz it's still below -100dBFS so completely inaudible and (b) it will be completely masked by the music.

How to avoid it?

Take out the Maserati plugin.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39001 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...