How to do hardware gear inserts in the Cubase?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Post by AMusicPlayerPlus »

Dear Friends,

My current setup is the Cubase and a lot of VST plugins.

I need some scale able solution: I mean today it may be 1 hardware box and tomorrow I'll want to connect 5 inserts.

Please advise.

Thank you!

Screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OkyUfc ... sp=sharing
AMusicPlayerPlus
Poster

Re: How to do hardware gear inserts in the Cubase?

Post by jaminem »

jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

Note that you'll need to use the more detailed sub-sections in the column on the right of that page to set it all up.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17024 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by The Elf »

The first thing you are going to need is an audio interface with enough inputs and outputs to handle the amount of hardware you will ultimately want to have simultaneously available to you. For a stereo in/stereo out processor that will require two inputs from your interface and two outputs. For five pieces of stereo gear that will be ten inputs and ten outputs.

You could share I/O and switch hardware boxes around to use less I/O, providing you don't require simultanous use of all that hardware, but that will require some re-plugging at least, or preferably, a patchbay.

After this you can make use of Cubase's 'hardware plug-in' feature to define your hardware's I/O to Cubase, and use it as if were a plug-in. Quite obviously this means that you can only use a single piece of hardware once somewhere within your song. Hopefully you are familiar with using FX channels and sends within Cubase, rather than adding all processors as inserts, which many people have fallen into - using FX channels and sends means you can share effects across many channels.

Some audio interfaces (and I'm thinking primarily of RME and TotalMix here) makes using external hardware very simple, and doesn't need Cubase to handle sends and sub-mixes.

I use a combination of all of the above.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by jaminem »

Wonks wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:39 am

Note that you'll need to use the more detailed sub-sections in the column on the right of that page to set it all up.

Yes...sorry OP, was trying to do too many things at once, and hit the send before I'd actually written anything useful....and now Elf's beaten me to it.

However.....one thing I will add is this.

I use Cubase with Hardware effects very much as Elf has described BUT what I have found very useful is to incorporate a patch bay into the setup. This helps in the following ways:

1. I normal the inputs/outputs of the hardware with the I/O of my hardware interface so that its easy to choose a hardware plugin and use it as a simple VST plugin as described previously but this allows...
2. To still be able to use the hardware while tracking - insert that same hardware after a preamp for example and...
3. Create a hardware 'chain' via the patchbay, so you only have 1 lot of DA/AD conversion, so for example use your hardware compressor 'plugin' but then take the out of that, go into a hardware eq, then into a hardware saturator, then back the in of the interface....if that makes any sort of sense..

This way you don't have to keep crawling round the back of your rack when you want to use hardware in a different way.

It also means that if you don't have an interface with multiple I/O, say you only have a stereo pair, you can still use ALL of your hardware inserts (albeit not simultaneously unless chained), it just means that only 1 stereo HW device will be normalled to the interface I/O but you can patch any other device or chain of devices into that 1 stereo pair...

So you could then for example get the sound you want using hardware, render in place that track then re patch another hardware device, on another track, render that and so on....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by jaminem »

Oh and 1 last thing, once you start down this route, recallability becomes pretty much essential - 'Session Recall' reviewed in last months SOS is brilliant for this!
jaminem
Frequent Poster