DIY 16 Button midi foot switch.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

DIY 16 Button midi foot switch.

Post by Dave71 »

Just finished a breadboard version of a 16 button midi over usb foot controller, with LEDs, using a Teensy 4.0 and Max7219 IC.

I’m controlling QLC+ lighting software which is configured with 16 solo soft buttons, each full of various lighting scenes etc. The LED's are setup so each button press clears whatever was illuminated and illuminates the corresponding button LED. As QLC+ locks the buttons when you configure them to work off midi, you can't use any other method to activate said buttons so hopefully they should be in sync all the time.

A couple of the Led's are dimmer than the rest but i can't be sure they are all the same spec as I've had them laying round for years. Will be buying new for the actual build.

Can’t take much of the credit as I've read up on various similar projects and copied/tweaked the code to suit.

Happy to share details if anybody’s interested

Cheers
Dave71
Regular
Posts: 412 Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:00 am Location: Probably sat down

Re: DIY 16 Button midi foot switch.

Post by Folderol »

Dave71 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:57 am Can’t take much of the credit as I've read up on various similar projects and copied/tweaked the code to suit.

Happy to share details if anybody’s interested

Cheers

That's how the rest of us got started :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18183 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by adamburgess »

It's always satisfying building something from scratch (even with the help of libraries and a bit standard code :clap: )

Keep meaning to make something bigger after my first and only Arduino thing. Converted an old Marshall amp channel footswitch to a MIDI controller to mute FX on X32/XR18.

I would love to have a look at the code and circuitry! Very kind.
adamburgess
Regular

Post by Dave71 »

No point reinventing the wheel, especially if somebody has made a perfectly good one ;)

I'm going to see if i can get something to mute the effects on my QU16, seen somebody has done it with a Pi via ethernet but I want to look at USB, if its possible.

Code is on the PJrc forum https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/69662-16 ... s-it-right

Cheers
Dave71
Regular
Posts: 412 Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:00 am Location: Probably sat down

Post by S2 »

adamburgess wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:19 pm It's always satisfying building something from scratch (even with the help of libraries and a bit standard code :clap: )

Keep meaning to make something bigger after my first and only Arduino thing. Converted an old Marshall amp channel footswitch to a MIDI controller to mute FX on X32/XR18.

I would love to have a look at the code and circuitry! Very kind.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but can you give me some insight into how you did this? It's exactly what I'm looking for! I have an old Marshall footswitch and an Arduino and I want some way for muting the reverb on my X32, other than walking back to the mixer and switching it off which is not always convenient.
S2
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3126 Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey

Post by The Elf »

Good for you, mate. :thumbup:

I began my Arduino journey during lockdown, and never looked back. Now every time the band needs a digital solution all eyes turn to me! Some of my inventions have been overtaken by other technology, but it was good to learn this stuff. I'm now self-sufficient in MIDI/USB controllers!

It's well worth getting stuck into projects like this. It opens doors. Now I'm turning my attention to 'Smart Home' technology, and so far the results are well worth the effort.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by OneWorld »

Back in the day I used to build my own synths, ok not designed by me, but I did learn to mod them as I learned more, there were actually magazines that published designs for kits for complete synths and/or modules, but as I say that was back in the day, the days of long hot summers, the sound of leather on the willow and we used to have milkmen bring the milk to the doorstep
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

OneWorld wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:43 pm...but as I say that was back in the day, the days of long hot summers, the sound of leather on the willow and we used to have milkmen bring the milk to the doorstep

... and the average life expectancy meant that this forum would probably be a much quieter place! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Folderol »

The Elf wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:40 pm It's well worth getting stuck into projects like this. It opens doors. Now I'm turning my attention to 'Smart Home' technology, and so far the results are well worth the effort.

Absolutely agree with this. Apart from the added independence, it gives you complete control over just how 'smart' you want the devices to be!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:45 pm
OneWorld wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:43 pm...but as I say that was back in the day, the days of long hot summers, the sound of leather on the willow and we used to have milkmen bring the milk to the doorstep

... and the average life expectancy meant that this forum would probably be a much quieter place! :D

I don't know, they say you can still play an old tune on an old fiddle, or is it an old tune on a new fiddle. I just fiddle until I get a noise that brings sonic contentment. Mind you when I got a fiddle it and tried to play it, even the cat ran out the door, and it was an old cat, had seen and heard it all I would have thought
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Ah, discussions like these warm the cockels of my DIY heart ;)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Luke W »

Folderol wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:07 pm
The Elf wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:40 pm It's well worth getting stuck into projects like this. It opens doors. Now I'm turning my attention to 'Smart Home' technology, and so far the results are well worth the effort.

Absolutely agree with this. Apart from the added independence, it gives you complete control over just how 'smart' you want the devices to be!

And me. I built a little three-fader MIDI controller a while back and got exactly what I needed rather than ending up with something that was just about right. Plus I felt smug about making it work, and spent about a third of what the second best option would have cost me!
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by S2 »

The Elf wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:40 pm Good for you, mate. :thumbup:

I began my Arduino journey during lockdown, and never looked back. Now every time the band needs a digital solution all eyes turn to me! Some of my inventions have been overtaken by other technology, but it was good to learn this stuff. I'm now self-sufficient in MIDI/USB controllers!

It's well worth getting stuck into projects like this. It opens doors. Now I'm turning my attention to 'Smart Home' technology, and so far the results are well worth the effort.

I'll do some searching and see what I can find. It can't be too hard - I only need one button. So at a basic level, just a midi program change message with another one on the second press. An LED to show if it's on or off would be good too.

I'm sure there is no need to reinvent the wheel, this sort of code, or similar, must have been written before.
S2
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3126 Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:00 am Location: Surrey

Post by ajay_m »

I see eBay has a 4 button footswitch midi controller from several sellers for as little as £27. Might be worth a punt at that price....
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

ajay_m wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:56 am I see eBay has a 4 button footswitch midi controller from several sellers for as little as £27. Might be worth a punt at that price....

But... but.. Where's the fun in that? :o
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Folderol wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:08 am
ajay_m wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:56 am I see eBay has a 4 button footswitch midi controller from several sellers for as little as £27. Might be worth a punt at that price....

+1
:lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

But it might be useful for me! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by OneWorld »

Until you have soldered and laboured into the wee small hours, night after night, then finally got to the point where you are at the point of completion and you plug the thing in only to see a puff of smoke, a racket of sparks and then it goes into an end of life spasm, and you're left with just a puddle of melt, you'll never know :crazy:
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

OneWorld wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:52 pm

Until you have soldered and laboured into the wee small hours, night after night, then finally got to the point where you are at the point of completion and you plug the thing in only to see a puff of smoke, a racket of sparks and then it goes into an end of life spasm, and you're left with just a puddle of melt, you'll never know :crazy:

Microsoft paid you to write that, didn't they :?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Folderol wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:24 pm
OneWorld wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:52 pm

Microsoft paid you to write that, didn't they :?

I wish
OneWorld
Frequent Poster