Need mic help

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Need mic help

Post by merlyn »

John Willett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:20 pm USB-A is already dying as USB-C becomes the norm.

That's not actually a problem as it's possible to get a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Similar in principle to an 1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter.

A mic with a USB-A plug won't become obsolete as USB-C becomes more popular. In a situation where a laptop has no USB-A sockets the mic in question would simply need an adapter.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Re: Need mic help

Post by ConcertinaChap »

John Willett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:20 pmI remember reading a BBC report on the new Neumann U47 when it came out - price £100 - the s/h price of a good U47 nowadays is about £6-8,000.

The U47 came out in 1949. £100 in 1949 is equivalent to £4245 today. So the value of the mic is ahead of inflation but not by all that much and you'd have to have really taken care of it over the last 73 years to have realised that. Personally I don't buy mics for investment purposes but because I want to use them. The same goes for any other piece of kit.

I agree with merlyn. USB versions are downward compatible and adapters are cheap.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12863 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
I don't play music because I think I'm a great musician,
I play because music is great and I want to be part of it.