Need mic help

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Need mic help

Post by orange »

ef37a wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:37 am
You seem to deliberately ignore my point that, whilst USB mics are convenient in many situations AND their sound quality can be as good as many XLR mics of a similar price. OPERATIONALLY for the musician they are OFTEN not the best choice.

Dave - I didn't ignore your point at all ? In fact I agreed with it, more than once.

What I am saying is that sometimes they are the perfect choice - even for musicians. It's clear you don't agree but I think your opinion is based on very little evidence, or experience or understanding that everybody's needs and requirements are different....and that's my opinion, and you've said nothing to change that.

Yes...But I suspect I won't get the last word!

you're welcome to it if you feel it's important to you ? :lol: Please continue to share your wisdom. Like many others, I hugely enjoy your posts. In 2022 we need all the laughs we can get.
orange
Poster

Post by forumuser840717 »

"Zyzzyva" is the last word.

According to the OED at least. It's apparently “a genus of tropical weevils (family Curculionidae) native to South America and typically found on or near palm trees.”

Those of a more spiritually misguided bent might prefer "Amen".

And for French film directors perhaps "Fin".

Or Chuck Jones might choose "Folks!".
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:clap::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38982 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by John Willett »

A USB mic is based on computer technology - although it can be a useful bit of kit, computer technology changes very fast and it should be treated as a "throw-away" and needs to pay for itself pretty quickly.

A proper microphone is a mature technology and will last (if treated properly) for decades. So, if you want to make good recordings get a good mic. and an interface. The interface can be a cheap one as it will be replaced every few years (computer technology) and just use the mic. with a new interface when you change.

USB-A is already dying as USB-C becomes the norm.

I remember reading a BBC report on the new Neumann U47 when it came out - price £100 - the s/h price of a good U47 nowadays is about £6-8,000.
John Willett
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7295 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by merlyn »

John Willett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:20 pm USB-A is already dying as USB-C becomes the norm.

That's not actually a problem as it's possible to get a USB-A to USB-C adapter. Similar in principle to an 1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter.

A mic with a USB-A plug won't become obsolete as USB-C becomes more popular. In a situation where a laptop has no USB-A sockets the mic in question would simply need an adapter.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by ConcertinaChap »

John Willett wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:20 pmI remember reading a BBC report on the new Neumann U47 when it came out - price £100 - the s/h price of a good U47 nowadays is about £6-8,000.

The U47 came out in 1949. £100 in 1949 is equivalent to £4245 today. So the value of the mic is ahead of inflation but not by all that much and you'd have to have really taken care of it over the last 73 years to have realised that. Personally I don't buy mics for investment purposes but because I want to use them. The same goes for any other piece of kit.

I agree with merlyn. USB versions are downward compatible and adapters are cheap.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all