NiftyKEYZ

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: NiftyKEYZ

Post by Ben Asaro »

Arpangel wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:37 am

You’re not wasting modules with your remedial playing, they are wasted anyway, in my view, using a keyboard.

That's kinda the way I feel about it, as well -- but there's something to be said for mixing a traditional keyboard with the sound sculpting abilities of modular, which are formidable.

If I had the space, and the ability, I would probably have something like this in my arsenal because it gives you a TON of versatility: you can play it like a traditional subtractive synth, or ignore the keyboard and patch it more West coast style. It would be a doodle to take to gigs, and you could load up a semi modular for your default, something like a Mother-32 or Deckard'c Voice ...

Crap, I think I just sold myself on getting one of these! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by zenguitar »

Did someone mention Deckard's Voice?
Just plumbed in with Rachael and some friends.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by The Elf »

Nice! :thumbup::clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19940 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Martin Walker »

These wonderfully thought-provoking new synths are being released faster than I can decide whether to buy them or not :(

First the NiftyKEYZ, and now the Soma Terra.

Where will it all end?

(answers on a postcard please ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

YashN wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 pm Modular isn't restricted in any way, but helping someone who is just starting with it to get into it in a sane way is not pointless.

You totally misunderstood our points here.

Sane? Modular? in the same breath? please.
I believe you can’t help anyone get into modular, apart from telling them how to plug in modules, and what a VCA does.
Everything beyond that is like taking the red pill, and I’m not in any way misunderstanding anything here.
Everything has restrictions, modular is no exception, "unlimited" by its very nature, imposes limitations, too many options, too many sounds, operational absurdities, that no sane person would put up with, that’s why I have a wall of modular.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Arpangel wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 am
YashN wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 pm Modular isn't restricted in any way, but helping someone who is just starting with it to get into it in a sane way is not pointless.

I believe you can’t help anyone get into modular, apart from telling them how to plug in modules, and what a VCA does.
Everything beyond that is like taking the red pill, and I’m not in any way misunderstanding anything here.
Everything has restrictions, modular is no exception, "unlimited" by its very nature, imposes limitations, too many options, too many sounds, operational absurdities, that no sane person would put up with, that’s why I have a wall of modular.

Indeed I've seen it! However it's not unlimited - it's restricted by the size of your cellar wall :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Arpangel »

Folderol wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:15 am
Arpangel wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 am

Indeed I've seen it! However it's not unlimited - it's restricted by the size of your cellar wall :lol:

:D:D:D

Yes, it’s grown another cabinet, I’ve had to expand sideways, for two reasons, I can’t reach it, and it’s hitting the rafters, this is bad, really bad.
We have a very gifted young pianist staying with us at the moment, which is interesting, in a couple of ways, I’m having to give her the use of our piano to practice on, for hours every day, also, she wandered into the basement and saw the modular, and was very interested in it, even worse than that, my partner like she does, says "oh, he’ll show you how it works, won’t you?"
No "he" won’t, I’m not being held responsible for ruining the career of a future concert pianist, I can see the interview now, "I was well on the way to a promising career, and then I stayed at this mad house, full of these strange boxes full of flashing lights, and I was never the same again"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Martin Walker wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:55 pm These wonderfully thought-provoking new synths are being released faster than I can decide whether to buy them or not :(

Where will it all end?

Well my next postcard has already arrived - here's the SOS Superbooth coverage of the Silhouette Eins Optical Synthesizer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTFwYBmcGoE

That's now gone onto my want list too 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:05 pm
Martin Walker wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:55 pm These wonderfully thought-provoking new synths are being released faster than I can decide whether to buy them or not :(

Where will it all end?

Well my next postcard has already arrived - here's the SOS Superbooth coverage of the Silhouette Eins Optical Synthesizer:

That's now gone onto my want list too 8-)

Martin

I’m second in the queue Martin, it’s even got my name on it!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Martin Walker wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:05 pm Well my next postcard has already arrived - here's the SOS Superbooth coverage of the Silhouette Eins Optical Synthesizer:

Wow, that's very impressive work indeed. I also really like the way the rotary controls are positioned over the monitor and interact with the software!
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:29 pm
Martin Walker wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:05 pm Well my next postcard has already arrived - here's the SOS Superbooth coverage of the Silhouette Eins Optical Synthesizer:

Wow, that's very impressive work indeed. I also really like the way the rotary controls are positioned over the monitor and interact with the software!

I like it a lot, and I haven’t even heard it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

zenguitar wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:15 pm Did someone mention Deckard's Voice?
Just plumbed in with Rachael and some friends.

Andy :beamup:

Stunning layout! How do you like Deckard’s voice?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC