Could use advice on changing monitor placement

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Could use advice on changing monitor placement

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

I've had to recently gut my studio setup and am now trying set things up properly with new equipment (e.g. moving to a single wide monitor and incorporating a laptop).

I feel my studio monitors (Focal Shape 65's, 6.5in) are too close to my listening position, where I might as well just be wearing headphones. I am considering putting them on stands (either 36in or 48in tall) to pull them further back, keeping the equilateral triangle. However, my concern with this is the widescreen and laptop obstructing the "view."

I am guessing you don't want anything on a plane between you and the speakers? I don't want to move my widescreen back. Would it be best to get 48in stands so that the speakers sit really high and point them down to me?

Any advice is appreciated before I fork over the cash for stands. For reference, the shelf that the speakers and widescreen are sitting on is 36in high.

And apologies for the mess. Everything has been in disarray.

PoliticalBonobo
New here

Re: Could use advice on changing monitor placement

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Anything in front of and between the monitor speakers will create diffraction of the soundwaves, and that will seriously degrade the stereo imaging.

Moving the speakers up above your screens, tilting down is a good solution, but do make sure that your speakers are secure -- you really don't want your speakers sliding off when the bass gets busy!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38956 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Could use advice on changing monitor placement

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

Thanks for confirming, Hugh, and good point on them sliding off :shock:
I wish this wasn't the solution because I'll have to move some already-mounted panels to the new reflection points. Ugh. Life.
PoliticalBonobo
New here