Guitar chord recognition software

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Guitar chord recognition software

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Is there anything out there that could recognise guitar chords in an audio track?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1109 Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:00 am Location: London

Re: Guitar chord recognition software

Post by Albatross »

What an audio track of guitar or an audio track with other instruments? Jam Origin reckon they are pretty handy but I'm not sure they can lift guitar out of a mix and transcribe it. https://www.jamorigin.com/
Albatross
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2413 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Albatross wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:23 pm What an audio track of guitar or an audio track with other instruments?

No, just a guitar by itself, eg as in an Ueberschall sample etc, or a personal songwriter recording etc..
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1109 Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:00 am Location: London

Post by MarkOne »

Yes, I believe this is something that Melodyne can do.

https://helpcenter.celemony.com/M5/doc/ ... standAlone
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Albatross wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:23 pm What an audio track of guitar or an audio track with other instruments? Jam Origin reckon they are pretty handy but I'm not sure they can lift guitar out of a mix and transcribe it. https://www.jamorigin.com/

Jam Origin is good at lifting the midi out of a guitar track (obviously a lot depends on the nature of the track in question) but will just give you the midi data rather than a chord map. But there are other things that can take it from there once you have the midi file.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by rockydennis »

Fender Riffstation Pro for Mac and PC - it was $35, but Fender discontinued it in 2018 and made it free at the end. The official site for it is no longer up, but various sites have it available for download - just find a reputable one.

https://www.techradar.com/news/fenders- ... ur-desktop
rockydennis
Regular

Post by Zukan »

Some DAWs can do this now I believe. I think Hornet's Songkey can also detect chords.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by Scouser »

I would say there is more benefit from figuring it out for yourself, by the time you have fiddled around with software, you would be halfway there and developing your ear at the same time..
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Post by djangodeadman »

Zukan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:27 am Some DAWs can do this now I believe. I think Hornet's Songkey can also detect chords.

Cubase 12, for example, can do this and it works pretty well.
djangodeadman
Regular
Posts: 354 Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:00 am Location: Brighton

Post by Zukan »

djangodeadman wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:04 am
Zukan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:27 am Some DAWs can do this now I believe. I think Hornet's Songkey can also detect chords.

Cubase 12, for example, can do this and it works pretty well.

I'm finding Scaler 2 also makes a good job of detecting...We are spoilt nowadays with some Jedi tools that we never had in dem days.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by ManFromGlass »

:thumbup: Scaler 2 - yes. I do a short audio clip of the chord and then drag + drop it on Scaler. I’m on a Mac.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Rowboat_1 »

Yip. Cubase/Melodyne.
Rowboat_1
New here

Post by shufflebeat »

Scouser wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:12 pm I would say there is more benefit from figuring it out for yourself...

My thoughts also.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by ManFromGlass »

Sometimes, I would agree, but I had a Ravel piano chord that totally had me confused. I think it was some kind of 13th in a most beautiful voicing. Chords are not my strong point.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Murray B »

For me, there's a cost / benefit paradox in taking the time to try and fully transcribe a song and work out all the harmony. For simple stuff it's quick, easy and I'm playing along after a few bars. for more complex stuff it's a PITA and takes ages cause I don't hear the more complex harmony as easily. For example working out a viable part for Jill Scotts Golden took longer than I would have liked and I'd have benefitted from something that would have spelt out the chord changes for me.

Sadly I don't have the fancy software, Moises is good for basic harmony but I can hear that already. So it's usually trawl of you tube keyboard tutorials and working out what's going on from them. You'd hope that sheet music would be the answer but sometimes even this is inaccurate - especially when it comes to guitar parts.

If I spent more time doing it all from ear, my ear would get better and the whole process would speed up, but in between of times I just want to get on playing and not have to spend hours working stuff out by looping small sections and working out what's going on a note by note basis. Deep down of course I know the only way to develop a skill is to keep working at it :headbang:
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire