Guitar chord recognition software

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Guitar chord recognition software

Post by shufflebeat »

Scouser wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:12 pm I would say there is more benefit from figuring it out for yourself...

My thoughts also.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7875 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
Hot tip:
I find keeping the good coffee in an old marmalade jar in the fridge makes it last much longer - the kids don't like marmalade.

Post by ManFromGlass »

Sometimes, I would agree, but I had a Ravel piano chord that totally had me confused. I think it was some kind of 13th in a most beautiful voicing. Chords are not my strong point.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5563 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Murray B »

For me, there's a cost / benefit paradox in taking the time to try and fully transcribe a song and work out all the harmony. For simple stuff it's quick, easy and I'm playing along after a few bars. for more complex stuff it's a PITA and takes ages cause I don't hear the more complex harmony as easily. For example working out a viable part for Jill Scotts Golden took longer than I would have liked and I'd have benefitted from something that would have spelt out the chord changes for me.

Sadly I don't have the fancy software, Moises is good for basic harmony but I can hear that already. So it's usually trawl of you tube keyboard tutorials and working out what's going on from them. You'd hope that sheet music would be the answer but sometimes even this is inaccurate - especially when it comes to guitar parts.

If I spent more time doing it all from ear, my ear would get better and the whole process would speed up, but in between of times I just want to get on playing and not have to spend hours working stuff out by looping small sections and working out what's going on a note by note basis. Deep down of course I know the only way to develop a skill is to keep working at it :headbang:
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 315 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire