Yoshimi V 2.2.0

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Moderator: Moderators

Yoshimi V 2.2.0

Post by Folderol »

The team is pleased to announce that this is now available.

A major feature is the revision of the PadSynth engine, giving more dynamic control.

We now support Undo/Redo for most settings.

Some controls in the main window are better placed and should be more obvious.

Full details are in /doc/Yoshimi_2.2.0_features.txt

Yoshimi source code is available from either:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/yoshimi
Or:
https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi

Full build instructions are in 'INSTALL'.

Our list archive is at:
https://www.freelists.org/archive/yoshimi
To post, email to:
yoshimi@freelists.org
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18184 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Yoshimi V 2.2.0

Post by Martin Walker »

Yay!!!!!!! :clap:8-):thumbup:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Guest »

So, I have been meaning to look at Yoshimi for a while, this may be where to start.

I have seen before you have it running on a Rasperry Pi. Will this build and work on say a PI 4 with the official screen?

Post by Folderol »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 pm So, I have been meaning to look at Yoshimi for a while, this may be where to start.

I have seen before you have it running on a Rasperry Pi. Will this build and work on say a PI 4 with the official screen?

I would say yes... provisionally!
It can work well with a small screen if it has a decent resolution - 800x600 is really pushing your luck!
However, the real deciders are the operating system and audio subsystem. The standard Pi OS, isn't really much good for real-time audio, and the inbuilt audio is pathetic.

Having said that, Plug in a USB audio device, and use a 'proper' OS install and it's a totally different story. Even the cheap audio modules from Amazon do a pretty good job. As for the OS, well that's only an SD card away... if you happen to know someone who can program it :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I've had an older version working on a 4GB Pi4 with a full HD screen. I was using the audio through the HDMI connection to the screen with a USB connected MIDI keyboard. I was using the Patchbox version of the operating system although I've also installed an older version on the standard Pi operating system.

However, we've not spent that long using it so have only scratched the surface.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Folderol »

HDMI audio is very much a curate's egg (good in parts). Potentially, it can give extremely high quality results, but often is implemented as an afterthought, such as a 24in monitor with 2 inch elliptical speakers at the bottom.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

Folderol wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:05 pm
[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 pm So, I have been meaning to look at Yoshimi for a while, this may be where to start.

It can work well with a small screen if it has a decent resolution - 800x600 is really pushing your luck!
However, the real deciders are the operating system and audio subsystem. The standard Pi OS, isn't really much good for real-time audio, and the inbuilt audio is pathetic.

Having said that, Plug in a USB audio device, and use a 'proper' OS install and it's a totally different story. Even the cheap audio modules from Amazon do a pretty good job. As for the OS, well that's only an SD card away... if you happen to know someone who can program it :tongue:

Thanks for the info, the screen is 800x480 so I'm guessing that is even more of a problem :)

What OS do you recommend to stick on it?

Post by Folderol »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:54 pm
Folderol wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info, the screen is 800x480 so I'm guessing that is even more of a problem :)

What OS do you recommend to stick on it?

Ouch!
The minimum size of just the main window is 390x500 so that would be extremely hard work to use, and some of the editing windows would be impossible :(
You would need to find a better screen to be really usable and the optimum is 1920x1080

It's going to need some flavour of Linux, but what I was hinting at is that I could supply an image that will definitely work :shh: All I'd need is a class 10 sd card of at least 16G
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

I have been meaning to get a 10 inch hdmi screen to attach bits and bobs to, maybe this is the opportunity I needed...

Post by Martin Walker »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:34 pm I have been meaning to get a 10 inch hdmi screen to attach bits and bobs to, maybe this is the opportunity I needed...

Me too, for my Yoshimi Pi ;)
Martin Walker

Post by YashN »

Was just playing a Web version of Yoshimi with the laptop's Keyboard yesterday. Cool sounds!
YashN
Poster
Posts: 62 Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:56 pm Location: North America

Post by Martin Walker »

Yep, it's most impressive, and incredibly versatile! 8-)
Martin Walker

Post by Folderol »

There is now a minor point release V 2.2.1 with some useful extensions.

A new 'reset' button in the part edit window.

More windows stay open when you change parts.

Two new instruments have been added to the default banks.

Some doc updates and bugfixes.

Full details are in /doc/Yoshimi_2.2.1_features.txt

Yoshimi source code is available from either:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/yoshimi
Or:
https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi

Full build instructions are in 'INSTALL'.

Our list archive is at:
https://www.freelists.org/archive/yoshimi
To post, email to:
yoshimi@freelists.org
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

:thumbup: