AU and VST on Mac, and changing to Logic.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

AU and VST on Mac, and changing to Logic.

Post by Arpangel »

I’ve been using VST's on my Mac for ages, without realising that I should be using AU's.
I have a had a few issues, but they are rare, also, all of the Cuckos Reaper plugs are VST's, and I’m using Reaper.
I am vaguely thinking of changing to Logic, I’ve been using Garage Band a lot, and I like that type of workflow, I’m guessing Logic is like that only more complex, with better plug-in's.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: AU and VST on Mac, and changing to Logic.

Post by Kwackman »

Arpangel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:40 pm I’ve been using VST's on my Mac for ages, without realising that I should be using AU's.

Say's who?
IFAIK the DAW determines this, not the platform.
I think Logic only uses AU, so that's why you might need to change.
I've run Cubase on a Mac for decades, and always VST as that what Cubase works with. Never had an issue.
Most Mac plug-ins are available in both AU & VST versions.

Edit to add...
It might be possible to run AU in a VST DAW (and vice versa) using a convertor, but the cowardly part of me wouldn't want to do it, as it's something else to screw everything up!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by dbfs »

I think using VSTs is the best option when on a Mac using Reaper as it may well give you more flexibility moving/sharing projects to the PC platform.

In fact in Reaper prefs you can tell it to hide AUs, which is automatic set for All waves plugins at their request. I also hide all other AUs to keep things smooth between my mac and windows computers.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks, I’ve been thinking about this because I’ve had issues with a couple of plug-ins as VST's, I changed them to AU, and the problems disappeared.
But I’ve had no issues with Reapers stock VST plug-ins.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster