Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

Post by Sehrum »

On my Medion MD 41300 the sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit).

Is there any other way besides the manufacturer's website - MEDION Service - (drivers there doesn't do anything, if I do the right way to try installing them?!?) to solve such a problem?

Everything I was trying by searching in google (troubleshooting)
- no audio output device is installed windows 7 - Google Search -
doesn't help as well...

Missing ‘sound, video and game controllers’ in Device Manager...

Thanks a lot for potential efforts!!!
Sehrum
Poster

Re: Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

Post by OneWorld »

Sehrum wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:08 pm On my Medion MD 41300 the sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit).

Is there any other way besides the manufacturer's website - MEDION Service - (drivers there doesn't do anything, if I do the right way to try installing them?!?) to solve such a problem?

Everything I was trying by searching in google (troubleshooting)
- no audio output device is installed windows 7 - Google Search -
doesn't help as well...

Missing ‘sound, video and game controllers’ in Device Manager...

Thanks a lot for potential efforts!!!

How old is the machine? Is the driver a Win7 driver? What is the manufacture of the soundchip? If you know that can you download a driver from their website instead? is the sound device enabled in the BIOS?

In the device manager, under the properties/Sound video and games controllers, is there anything showing at all, and if there is anything (soundchip) showing does it have the exclamation mark '!' or the Red 'X' is the sound chip enabled in the Device Manager?

Has it worked before and now stopped working? or did it never work from when you got the machine.

If it is an old machine it could be the chip is a duffer. And anyway, an onboard chip isn't much use for music making (if that's what you intend to do), get a cheap USB audio interface, it'll do a much better job
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Re: Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

Post by Sehrum »

Foremost, thanks for your detailed reaction.

-"How old is the machine?"
I would assume it is from 2004 (after checking in google)

-"Is the driver a Win7 driver?"
I would assume not really: It is the only one I did get on the medion-site
https://www.nodevice.com/drivers/laptop/medion/md-41300
https://www.medion.com/de/service/produ ... l/30001752

-"What is the manufacture of the soundchip?"
"RealTek"?!? Good notice/idea! Haven't thought about that. I will try now...

-"is the sound device enabled in the BIOS?"
Not that I noticed, but I am not really an expert in this. Could you tell me where to look?!? I attached a picture of my BIOS from before I installed W7 from the pen stick...

-"In the device manager, under the properties/Sound video and games controllers, is there anything showing...?"
+As I mentioned already in my opening question: Missing ‘sound, video and game controllers’ in Device Manager....
+Under "System Devices">"System Speaker" it is mentioned under properties that "No drivers are installed for this device"
+Under "Other Devices(has a question mark)">"Multimedia Audio Controller(has a yellow exclamation mark)" it is mentioned under properties that "Drivers for this device are not installed(Code 28). To find a driver for this device, click Update driver. This I didn't see/"read" before: Will try it as well!

-"Has it worked before and now stopped working? or did it never work from when you got the machine"
Excellent, appropriate question: I am trying to prepare the machine as a giveaway for an "old" disabled woman. I had W7 installed and the sound worked. But I needed to switch the machine to a different display language and tried to change back to XP. This didn´t work! The installation process failed by not copying all the necessary files from the original cd in the middle. Took me a while to reinstall W7 Ultimate with RUFUS software preparing a penstick. Now here I am. Sound as I described..

I tried to attach 2 pictures but it doesn't work, only showing > Image ?!? No upload windows appear?!?
Sehrum
Poster

Post by zenguitar »

The forum does not host images so there is no option to upload images. You can use the image tags to display an image but it needs to be hosted on a dedicated image/photo site.

I use Flickr, but other sites are available.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Sehrum »

Thanks sir for paying attention to my words and clarifying that!
It was a bit irritating to see an Insert-Image-Functionbutton "without" a function.
Sehrum
Poster

Post by Sehrum »

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/520 ... 6e9b_m.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/520 ... 321a_m.jpg

I downloaded a seemingly appropriate driver (32bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file)) from RealTek ( https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software ) but it didn't do anything...

"...+Under "System Devices">"System Speaker" it is mentioned under properties that "No drivers are installed for this device..."

I tried that as well > The machine reaction was:
Update Driver Software - System speaker
The best driver software for your device is already installed
Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.
Sehrum
Poster

Post by Sehrum »

Sehrum
Poster

Post by Sehrum »

?!?
Sehrum
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I can only echo One World's advice. It looks like the chip is too old to be supported so a cheap USB interface is probably the best solution. For music purposes the M-Audio M-Track Duo is probably the cheapest sensible interface available (cheaper ones usually have vital features missing). If you just want to listen to something then the Behringer UCA222 would probably work.
James Perrett
Posts: 14249 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by merlyn »

Sehrum wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am ...
I had W7 installed and the sound worked.

That means that a 32 bit W7 driver does exist for this chip. It's a question of finding it.

-"Is the driver a Win7 driver?"
I would assume not really: It is the only one I did get on the medion-site
https://www.nodevice.com/drivers/laptop/medion/md-41300
https://www.medion.com/de/service/produ ... l/30001752

Those drivers are for Windows ME or W98 i.e. ancient.

The drivers from RealTek seem to be too new for the chip you have.

What you could do is find out the exact model of chip and find drivers for that. I would think they will be called 'legacy' drivers.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Sehrum »

James Perrett wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:49 pm I can only echo One World's advice. It looks like the chip is too old to be supported so a cheap USB interface is probably the best solution. For music purposes the M-Audio M-Track Duo is probably the cheapest sensible interface available (cheaper ones usually have vital features missing). If you just want to listen to something then the Behringer UCA222 would probably work.

As I mentioned somewhere in between: I am going to give the machine to an old lady, but not investing money anymore. My problem.
Sehrum
Poster

Post by Sehrum »

What you could do is find out the exact model of chip and find drivers for that. I would think they will be called 'legacy' drivers.
[/quote]

How/where can I find out the "exact chip model"?!?
Sehrum
Poster