Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

Post by Sehrum »

On my Medion MD 41300 the sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit).

Is there any other way besides the manufacturer's website - MEDION Service - (drivers there doesn't do anything, if I do the right way to try installing them?!?) to solve such a problem?

Everything I was trying by searching in google (troubleshooting)
- no audio output device is installed windows 7 - Google Search -
doesn't help as well...

Missing ‘sound, video and game controllers’ in Device Manager...

Thanks a lot for potential efforts!!!
Sehrum
New here

Re: Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

Post by OneWorld »

Sehrum wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:08 pm On my Medion MD 41300 the sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit).

Is there any other way besides the manufacturer's website - MEDION Service - (drivers there doesn't do anything, if I do the right way to try installing them?!?) to solve such a problem?

Everything I was trying by searching in google (troubleshooting)
- no audio output device is installed windows 7 - Google Search -
doesn't help as well...

Missing ‘sound, video and game controllers’ in Device Manager...

Thanks a lot for potential efforts!!!

How old is the machine? Is the driver a Win7 driver? What is the manufacture of the soundchip? If you know that can you download a driver from their website instead? is the sound device enabled in the BIOS?

In the device manager, under the properties/Sound video and games controllers, is there anything showing at all, and if there is anything (soundchip) showing does it have the exclamation mark '!' or the Red 'X' is the sound chip enabled in the Device Manager?

Has it worked before and now stopped working? or did it never work from when you got the machine.

If it is an old machine it could be the chip is a duffer. And anyway, an onboard chip isn't much use for music making (if that's what you intend to do), get a cheap USB audio interface, it'll do a much better job
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Sound doesn't work ("No Audio Output device is installed" on W7 Ultimate (32Bit)

Post by Sehrum »

Foremost, thanks for your detailed reaction.

-"How old is the machine?"
I would assume it is from 2004 (after checking in google)

-"Is the driver a Win7 driver?"
I would assume not really: It is the only one I did get on the medion-site
https://www.nodevice.com/drivers/laptop/medion/md-41300
https://www.medion.com/de/service/produ ... l/30001752

-"What is the manufacture of the soundchip?"
"RealTek"?!? Good notice/idea! Haven't thought about that. I will try now...

-"is the sound device enabled in the BIOS?"
Not that I noticed, but I am not really an expert in this. Could you tell me where to look?!? I attached a picture of my BIOS from before I installed W7 from the pen stick...

-"In the device manager, under the properties/Sound video and games controllers, is there anything showing...?"
+As I mentioned already in my opening question: Missing ‘sound, video and game controllers’ in Device Manager....
+Under "System Devices">"System Speaker" it is mentioned under properties that "No drivers are installed for this device"
+Under "Other Devices(has a question mark)">"Multimedia Audio Controller(has a yellow exclamation mark)" it is mentioned under properties that "Drivers for this device are not installed(Code 28). To find a driver for this device, click Update driver. This I didn't see/"read" before: Will try it as well!

-"Has it worked before and now stopped working? or did it never work from when you got the machine"
Excellent, appropriate question: I am trying to prepare the machine as a giveaway for an "old" disabled woman. I had W7 installed and the sound worked. But I needed to switch the machine to a different display language and tried to change back to XP. This didn´t work! The installation process failed by not copying all the necessary files from the original cd in the middle. Took me a while to reinstall W7 Ultimate with RUFUS software preparing a penstick. Now here I am. Sound as I described..

I tried to attach 2 pictures but it doesn't work, only showing > Image ?!? No upload windows appear?!?
Sehrum
New here

Post by zenguitar »

The forum does not host images so there is no option to upload images. You can use the image tags to display an image but it needs to be hosted on a dedicated image/photo site.

I use Flickr, but other sites are available.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12562 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Sehrum »

Thanks sir for paying attention to my words and clarifying that!
It was a bit irritating to see an Insert-Image-Functionbutton "without" a function.
Sehrum
New here

Post by Sehrum »

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/520 ... 6e9b_m.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/520 ... 321a_m.jpg

I downloaded a seemingly appropriate driver (32bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file)) from RealTek ( https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software ) but it didn't do anything...

"...+Under "System Devices">"System Speaker" it is mentioned under properties that "No drivers are installed for this device..."

I tried that as well > The machine reaction was:
Update Driver Software - System speaker
The best driver software for your device is already installed
Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.
Sehrum
New here

Post by Sehrum »

Sehrum
New here

Post by Sehrum »

?!?
Sehrum
New here

Post by James Perrett »

I can only echo One World's advice. It looks like the chip is too old to be supported so a cheap USB interface is probably the best solution. For music purposes the M-Audio M-Track Duo is probably the cheapest sensible interface available (cheaper ones usually have vital features missing). If you just want to listen to something then the Behringer UCA222 would probably work.
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by merlyn »

Sehrum wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am ...
I had W7 installed and the sound worked.

That means that a 32 bit W7 driver does exist for this chip. It's a question of finding it.

-"Is the driver a Win7 driver?"
I would assume not really: It is the only one I did get on the medion-site
https://www.nodevice.com/drivers/laptop/medion/md-41300
https://www.medion.com/de/service/produ ... l/30001752

Those drivers are for Windows ME or W98 i.e. ancient.

The drivers from RealTek seem to be too new for the chip you have.

What you could do is find out the exact model of chip and find drivers for that. I would think they will be called 'legacy' drivers.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Sehrum »

James Perrett wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:49 pm I can only echo One World's advice. It looks like the chip is too old to be supported so a cheap USB interface is probably the best solution. For music purposes the M-Audio M-Track Duo is probably the cheapest sensible interface available (cheaper ones usually have vital features missing). If you just want to listen to something then the Behringer UCA222 would probably work.

As I mentioned somewhere in between: I am going to give the machine to an old lady, but not investing money anymore. My problem.
Sehrum
New here

Post by Sehrum »

What you could do is find out the exact model of chip and find drivers for that. I would think they will be called 'legacy' drivers.
[/quote]

How/where can I find out the "exact chip model"?!?
Sehrum
New here

Post by OneWorld »

There are various free softwares, I think one is called Belarc Advisor, which will tell you such things, if they don’t identify the sound chip they will identify the motherboard and from that an internet search will tell you which sound chip is installed, having said that, sorry to say it but givi; a friend such an old device might prove to be a poisoned chalice! I have been down this road myself
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by merlyn »

I would think in device manager. Realtek chips are called things like 'ALC892'. If you see 'ALCxxx' search for W7 32 bit legacy drivers for that.
merlyn
Frequent Poster

Post by Sehrum »

Thanks for answering technically and morally: I already put some efforts into it, it is a rather old and a bit disabled woman with no relatives, only uses a potential machine partly, and I don't have that much money either... Nothing appropriate that I can say related to a potential bad experience you made with such a machine... I am tired of looking for this *ing driver. As I said thanks anyway!
Sehrum
New here

Post by Sehrum »

merlyn wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:43 pm I would think in device manager. Realtek chips are called things like 'ALC892'. If you see 'ALCxxx' search for W7 32 bit legacy drivers for that.

Thanks a lot for reacting to a rather minor topic!
Sehrum
New here

Post by Sehrum »

merlyn wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:43 pm I would think in device manager...

- When you say "In device manager", do you mean with a special software as for example the other gentleman mentioned Belarc Advisor?!?
- Or just search manually in the device manager: The Sound, video and game controllers, don't appear at all in the device manager of this machine...!
Sehrum
New here

Post by Sehrum »

OneWorld wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 pm There are various free softwares, I think one is called Belarc Advisor, which will tell you such things, if they don’t identify the sound chip they will identify the motherboard and from that an internet search will tell you which sound chip is installed,

Does it make sense to search the sound chip while the Sound, video and game controllers, don't appear at all in the device manager of this machine...!
Sehrum
New here

Post by merlyn »

You could see what you get out of dxdiag. Open a command line (called 'cmd') and at the prompt type

Code: Select all

> dxdiag
then go to the sound tab.

Hardware can report what it is without there being drivers, so software like Belarc advisor can theoretically find what it is.

32 bit hardware is getting old now. One possible solution could be to use Linux. Even 32 bit Linux distributions are getting rarer, but there are still some. Make a bootable USB with 32 bit Linux using Rufus that you mentioned earlier and see if that works. It might work out the box. (Unfortunately it might not).
merlyn
Frequent Poster

Post by Sehrum »

merlyn wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:29 am You could see what you get out of dxdiag. Open command line (called 'cmd') + at the prompt type

Code: Select all

> dxdiag
then go to the sound tab.

Sound tab: "No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufactor"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware can report what it is without there being drivers, so software like Belarc advisor can theoretically find what it is.

Does "motherboard" means
Main Circuit Board b
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD V1.0 R01-A0Z 07/05/2004
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BELARC ADVISOR::

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: ANI-PC (in WORKGROUP)
Profile Date: 2003 00:11:42
Advisor Version: 11.4
Windows Logon: ANI
Try BelManage, the Enterprise version of the Belarc Advisor
Personal Home Use Only

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate (build 7600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: Hebrew (Israel)
Installed: 01/10/2003 00:32:25
Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)

System Model
Notebook WID2010 Revision A0
Enclosure Type: Other

Processor a
3.07 gigahertz Intel Mobile Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
512 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Main Circuit Board b
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD V1.0 R01-A0Z 07/05/2004

Drives
699.88 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
324.57 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N ATA Device [Optical drive]

IC25N060ATMR04-0 [Hard drive] (60.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n MRG354K3GXDNRP, rev MO3OAD4A, SMART Status: Healthy
SAMSUNG HM641JI USB Device [Hard drive] (640.13 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 801130168383

Memory Modules c,d
1024 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'J6G1' has 512 MB
Slot 'J6G2' is Empty
Slot 'J6H1' has 512 MB
Slot 'J6H2' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 59.90 GB 46.05 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 1) 639.98 GB 278.52 GB free
* Operating System is installed on c:

Network Drives
None detected

Users (mouse over user name for details)
local user accounts last logon
ANI 01/10/2003 00:01:37 (admin)
local system accounts
X Administrator 14/07/2009 06:53:58 (admin)
X Guest never
HomeGroupUser$ never
X Marks a disabled account; L Marks a locked account

Printers
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Controllers
ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB

Display
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter]
Generic Non-PnP Monitor

Bus Adapters
Texas Instruments PCI-7x20/6x20 CardBus Controller (2x)
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

Multimedia
None detected

Virus Protection
No details available

Group Policies
None detected

Communications
↓ Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Dhcp Server: none responded
Physical Address: 00:0A:E4:4D:77:1E
Connection Speed: 10 Mbps

Other Devices
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Microsoft Composite Battery
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse

USB Storage Use in past 30 Days
Device (mouse over for details) Last Used
SanDisk Cruzer Blade, s/n 4527121AF4933674, rev 8.02 01/10/2003 00:33:01*
SAMSUNG HM641JI -- drive 1, s/n 271700616FFF 01/10/2003 00:09:19
TOSHIBA External USB 3.0, s/n 20160712006815F, rev 5438 01/10/2003 00:05:50*
* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.

Hosted Virtual Machines
None detected
Personal Home Use Only
See your entire network map...

Network Map (mouse over IP address for physical address)
IP Device Type Device Details Device Roles
Find your security vulnerabilities...

Missing Security Updates – for Adobe, Apple, Java, Microsoft and more

No source configured for hotfixes.

These security updates apply to this computer but are not currently installed (using Advisor definitions version 2022.4.19.2), according to the 04/12/2022 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary and bulletins from other vendors. Note: Security benchmarks require that Critical and Important severity security updates must be installed.

Hotfix Id Severity Description (click to see security bulletin)
EOL-Microsoft End of Life Microsoft Windows 7 RTM is vulnerable and no security updates are provided by the vendor
EOL-Adobe End of Life Adobe Photoshop 16.0.0.88 is vulnerable and no security updates are provided by the vendor
Manage all your software licenses...

Software Licenses
Adobe Systems - Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 (32 Bit) 1034-1288-8625-3057-7799-5041
Adobe Systems - Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 1045-1003-5645-1928-3668-1124
Adobe Systems - Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 (32 Bit) 1045-1003-5645-1928-3668-1124
Belarc - Advisor 33717047
Microsoft - Internet Explorer 00426-292-0000007-85132 (Key: none activated)
Microsoft - PowerShell 89383-100-0001260-04309
Microsoft - Windows 7 Ultimate 00426-292-0000007-85132 (Key: none activated)
Find unused software and reduce licensing costs...

Software Versions and Usage (mouse over i for details, click i for location)
i Adobe Systems - AdobeApplicationManager(URIHandler) version 9.0.0.28
i Adobe Systems - Application Manager version 9.0.0.100
i Adobe Systems - Illustrator CC 2015 version 19.0.0
i Adobe Systems - Photoshop CC 2015 version 16.0.0
ı i Adobe Systems - Updater Startup Utility version 9.0.0.11 (BuildVersion: 1.0; BuildDate: BUILDDATETIME)
ı i Belarc - Advisor version 11.4
i Igor Pavlov - 7-Zip version 9.20 i Microsoft - .NET Framework version 2.0.50727.4927
i Microsoft - .NET Framework version 3.0.6920.4902
i Microsoft - Internet Explorer version 8.00.7600.16385
i Microsoft - Windows Installer - Unicode version 5.0.7600.16385
i Microsoft - Windows Media Player version 12.0.7600.16385
i Microsoft - Windows Script Host version 5.8.7600.16385
ı i Microsoft - Windows Search version 7.00.7600.16385

Sehrum
New here