"Boxy" vocals regardless of treatment

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

"Boxy" vocals regardless of treatment

Post by prodbyogchiboi »

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some help or at least a clue as to how I can improve on my studio space. Right now I am struggling to get pretty clean sounding vocal recordings that sound open, not boxy. I have attached example recordings going into two different preamps. Forgive the horrible singing. You should be able to hear that there are some serious issues between the 400 Hz to 1200 Hz region.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/oqe4az3v ... 2gyui6ptqh

I also attached a video so you can see the treatment I have in the studio. It's in my basement. It's approximately 8 (W) ft x 21 (L) ft x 7 ft (H). All the treatments are about 4" thick. I have done my best to get the mic away from walls. Do I just have a room that is incapable of producing good vocal recordings?

I do not want to spend hours EQing vocals. I invested in all that treatment to avoid that. I have a Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387 + WA73 + RME Babyface FS Pro. All Mogami gold cables. I don't want to have to "fix" my recordings, but rather get to "mixing" them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
prodbyogchiboi
Poster

Re: "Boxy" vocals regardless of treatment

Post by resistorman »

Try the Atlantis in figure 8 pattern, rotate until you find the sweet spot. Works great for me.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2697 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by prodbyogchiboi »

resistorman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 am Try the Atlantis in figure 8 pattern, rotate until you find the sweet spot. Works great for me.

Okay thank you. I'll try this ASAP.
prodbyogchiboi
Poster

Post by prodbyogchiboi »

resistorman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 am Try the Atlantis in figure 8 pattern, rotate until you find the sweet spot. Works great for me.

Well i'll be damned.... Literally doing that sounds like I am 80% of where I am trying to get to. How in the world... like... so you can take advantage of undesired polar patterns because of the frequency response of the mic changes... interesting.

Thank you! Guess I have a lot more tinkering to do with this mic...
prodbyogchiboi
Poster

Post by resistorman »

You're welcome, I overlooked the usefulness of figure 8 for way too long ;)
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2697 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Wonks »

You could also try the standard trick of hanging up a duvet behind your singing position. And I'd try moving the mic position so that you are towards the rear singing towards a corner with a bass trap in, with a duvet behind you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17042 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.