Inspiration, revelation.

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Inspiration, revelation.

Post by Arpangel »

I watched this last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9fj88qoVs

I found what was said very interesting, I’m not a visual artist, but it applied across the board, musically.
I found especially interesting, the Bacon quote, it’s not every thing, it’s "everything"
We have to see the big picture, and not focus in on one isolated part of the world, what we do affects everything around us, and it again affects what we create, we are one, we are all part of the universe and we are all connected, we need to think like this, if we are going to reverse this tide of separation, and alienation, on a musical level, I heard one of the Bohman Brothers say recently about their music "we draw no lines" and that’s how it should be, open to everything.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Inspiration, revelation.

Post by Martin Walker »

Francis Bacon presents a very idiosyncratic view of the world (some would say distorted), and in particular of people.

The darkness is not to everyone's taste, but it's nevertheless very powerful, and his work remains a unique voice in a very 'me too' world.

I'll watch that tonight - thanks Tony!

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:44 am Francis Bacon presents a very idiosyncratic view of the world (some would say distorted), and in particular of people.

The darkness is not to everyone's taste, but it's nevertheless very powerful, and his work remains a unique voice in a very 'me too' world.

I'll watch that tonight - thanks Tony!

Martin

Yes Martin, Michael Clarke comes across as a genuine guy, I tried to get into the Colony Club and met the same fate, I was too lazy to go back and follow it up.
Bacon? yes, he was someone I’d like to have met, but like all of my influences, he’s now dead.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Albatross »

I'll have a look at that too. I get a lot of inspiration from visual art. Watching Bob Ross and listening to him talk through his method to make his paintings as he created them was a real education during lockdown. Not as sophisticated and epic as Bacon but an education in subtlety and inference that I've tried to use in my playing - a bit.

Albatross
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2413 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Post by Arpangel »

Albatross wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:49 pm I'll have a look at that too. I get a lot of inspiration from visual art. Watching Bob Ross and listening to him talk through his method to make his paintings as he created them was a real education during lockdown. Not as sophisticated and epic as Bacon but an education in subtlety and inference that I've tried to use in my playing - a bit.

Yes, I draw parallels with painting and music all the time, I went through a phase of making lots of paintings, multi-media stuff, collages, it’s funny I’ll use techniques that I wouldn’t dream of using in my music, maybe it’s because I don’t regard myself as an "artist" and I'm more willing to hit below the belt with my paintings in any way I can, whereas with my music, I can be a bit more selective.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

On BBC R4 they were discussing "Cold dark matter" an artwork which I like, as it makes me think from a different viewpoint.

Its a metaphor for the big bang creation of the universe thru deconstruction of a garden shed [with the help of the army & some semtex ].

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017ckt

one womans blowing the shed out of stuff is another mans waste of good shed !

N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3690 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Martin Walker »

It's a mighty powerful artwork though!
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:22 pm On BBC R4 they were discussing "Cold dark matter" an artwork which I like, as it makes me think from a different viewpoint.

Its a metaphor for the big bang creation of the universe thru deconstruction of a garden shed [with the help of the army & some semtex ].

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017ckt

one womans blowing the shed out of stuff is another mans waste of good shed !

Out of destruction comes creation.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

unless you stand too close during the making of!
I spent many months during lockdown experimenting with drawing and painting apps. They all have some form of AI which I found rather fascinating. I was experimenting with portraits and the only subject I had on hand was myself. They turned out very well and give an extremely false impression that I can paint and draw. I always wanted to but never found the time to make it a priority to practice. Hmmmm amusing parallel to music practicing. :headbang:
I found them inspirational and revelatory. Are they art? I don’t care, they give me pleasure like a chord progression or melody I never thought I could do.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Arpangel »

ManFromGlass wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:54 pm unless you stand too close during the making of!
I spent many months during lockdown experimenting with drawing and painting apps. They all have some form of AI which I found rather fascinating. I was experimenting with portraits and the only subject I had on hand was myself. They turned out very well and give an extremely false impression that I can paint and draw. I always wanted to but never found the time to make it a priority to practice. Hmmmm amusing parallel to music practicing. :headbang:
I found them inspirational and revelatory. Are they art? I don’t care, they give me pleasure like a chord progression or melody I never thought I could do.

My partner wants to get a painting app, these sound very interesting, I like the AI aspect, that could turn into something really cool, like autotune for painters.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

In our imagination we can be anything and everything.

We can be Paganini to Charlie Parker to Ravi Shankar to Jango Reinhardt.

We can be Saturn, Jupiter, Supernovas, the Milky Way Solar System, the Universe.
Even Black Holes that's deep inside of us.

We can be a Dinosaur, an Elephant, a Hippo, a Dragon Fly, any Bird of flight.

We can be a boat, a steam train, a space shuttle.

We can drive as Fangio, Senna, Hamilton.

We can paint as Picasso.

We can sculpt as Michelangelo.

We can make people chortle as Tommy Cooper.

We can put out oil fires as Red Adair.

We can be the finest bricklayer, metal worker on Earth.

We can invent instruments wilder than Theremin, Moog, VCS3.

Hence Einstein said "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

We start from a basis of knowing things thereafter let loose with our imagination.

Letting our imagination unfurl to wherever it takes us (that is not destructive).

Our imagination is unbounded.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by prayforrock »

Hello! This video really inspiring and remind me a times where I studied art and artists. And genre of impressionism is strange and difficult for me. For example, his work named "Pope". In both way - it's scaring me and impresses with its power of conveying emotions. As said in Francis Bacon analysis of Pope (ref: https://nerdyseal.com/francis-bacon-ana ... ay-sample/):"what the painter paints is the reflection of his mind, so it would be interesting to find out what Bacon was like as a person." But at the same time I found out that Francis Bacon is not we expectin (ref: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ers-review):"What a shame. All his life, Bacon looked at and wanted to reinvent the art of the great masters. This show opens with giant photographs of his mad nest of a studio, its paint-stained floor littered with reproductions of works by the art heroes he longed to rival."
prayforrock
New here

Post by Arpangel »

prayforrock wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:25 pm Hello! This video really inspiring and remind me a times where I studied art and artists. And genre of impressionism is strange and difficult for me. For example, his work named "Pope". In both way - it's scaring me and impresses with its power of conveying emotions. As said in Francis Bacon analysis of Pope (ref: https://nerdyseal.com/francis-bacon-ana ... ay-sample/):"what the painter paints is the reflection of his mind, so it would be interesting to find out what Bacon was like as a person." But at the same time I found out that Francis Bacon is not we expectin (ref: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ers-review):"What a shame. All his life, Bacon looked at and wanted to reinvent the art of the great masters. This show opens with giant photographs of his mad nest of a studio, its paint-stained floor littered with reproductions of works by the art heroes he longed to rival."

Bacon was Bacon, Picasso was Picasso.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

True but they were their versions of everything that shaped them and influenced them all their lives, consciously or not.

So there could have been some of Picasso’s version of Bacon expressing itself Picasso style etc.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Arpangel »

ManFromGlass wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:04 pm True but they were their versions of everything that shaped them and influenced them all their lives, consciously or not.

So there could have been some of Picasso’s version of Bacon expressing itself Picasso style etc.

I don’t know what the thrust of this Bacon article is, him and Picasso were two different people with different things to say.
Opinions of artists are reflected in the culture we live in, and the culture we live in right now isn’t sympathetic, it’s puritanical to the ninth degree.
Picasso’s view was broader than Bacons, covered a lot more topics, Bacon came out of Picasso in terms of technique, but the messages were very different, simply the pain of being alive, and the brutality and animalistic nature of human relationships.
I see Bacon no different today than when I first saw his work, if you haven’t been there, you won’t understand it, simple as that, I was in the Tate Modern looking at Three Studies For Figures At The Base Of A Crucifixion listening to this young guy and his girlfriend talking about what they thought they were about, my wife at the time looked at me in embarrassment, and said "some people, no clue at all"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster