Behringer Xenyx 502usb line out to PA system query

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Behringer Xenyx 502usb line out to PA system query

Post by Adamcw891 »

Hi, sorry if this is a silly question but I am new to audio mixers.

I have been using a Behringer Xenyx 502usb audio mixer to send sound from my iPad to a PA system for live performance of apps via my Midi keyboard e.g Korg Module piano etc. The 502usb has two line outs (unbalanced, mono according to the manual).

I currently use just one 1/4 inch jack to XLR cable into the PA system, from either line out. But I was wondering if I should use two, one from each Line out, to get a stereo sound? Or will this simply send the same mono signal in twice, so would make no difference to the sound?

Many thanks for any help!
Adam
Adamcw891
New here

Re: Behringer Xenyx 502usb line out to PA system query

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Do you have a stereo PA system?

If you do, then you'll need two TRS-to-XLR(m) cables to run from the mixer line outputs (which are balanced, BTW) to each active PA speaker.

If your laptop is connected to a stereo input of the mixer you'll get a stereo output. If you're using mono input channels then you'll need to pan the two channels hard left/right.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39029 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Adamcw891 »

Hi Hugh, thanks very much for your helpful reply. The PA system has two speakers, does that presumably mean it is stereo, or could it be two mono speakers?

My set up is an iPad connected to a camera connection kit, then via usb into a usb hub (which the midi keyboard is also connected to) which then goes to the Xenyx Q502usb via a usb cable. So the input is via the usb cable, rather than a line in. I'm not sure if that would therefore be a mono or stereo input?

Many thanks, Adam
Adamcw891
New here

Post by adamburgess »

Unless you've specifically set the iPad to output mono audio, then I'd assume the iPad synths are sending stereo over USB.

If it's that, I'd send a signal out of left and right of the mixer to each PA channel/powered speakers/power amp channels.

If you do set the iPad to output mono only (in Accessibility settings), then it will send the same signal to the left and right channels, then it won't make much difference what you do after that.

Depends when you're outputting in the end with, and your expectations. Some keys players demand stereo - live, I'm not so bothered, to be honest!
adamburgess
Regular

Post by Adamcw891 »

Thanks Adam, that is very helpful. Yes I am pretty sure all the apps I use send as stereo by default. I thought to ask this question as I wondered if by using just one 1/4 inch to XLR cable from one of the line outs, rather than a separate cable for both line outs, I was perhaps losing 'half' the sound from the iPad app synth as it is sending a stereo signal.

Or alternatively, by using both line outs you simply send the same audio signal twice, so there is no need to do so.

As you can tell I am very new to this! I'm not even sure if you can tell the difference between stereo and mono when turned up loud playing live, but this is all helpful knowledge for me.

Cheers, Adam
Adamcw891
New here

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I don't know many people who run stereo PAs. In a typical gig, more people than not will be outside the sweet spot so they're not going to hear it in stereo anyway.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24654 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the rumours that I might have an idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by AlecSp »

Adamcw891 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:03 pmHi Hugh, thanks very much for your helpful reply. The PA system has two speakers, does that presumably mean it is stereo, or could it be two mono speakers?

No way of knowing if it's stereo or mono without checking/asking.

Adamcw891 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:33 pm I wondered if by using just one 1/4 inch to XLR cable from one of the line outs, rather than a separate cable for both line outs, I was perhaps losing 'half' the sound from the iPad app synth as it is sending a stereo signal.

Yes, you will be losing one side of the stereo signal if you use only one cable.

Adamcw891 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:33 pm As you can tell I am very new to this! I'm not even sure if you can tell the difference between stereo and mono when turned up loud playing live, but this is all helpful knowledge for me.

In practice, you'll frequently get away with just a single side mono feed without problems. But it depends on the source material.

You're new to this. Experiment - listen - see if it sounds OK or not. That's how you'll learn the most.

blinddrew wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:41 pm I don't know many people who run stereo PAs. In a typical gig, more people than not will be outside the sweet spot so they're not going to hear it in stereo anyway.

Not reliable advice. True that stereo is typically pointless in most live situations. But you will find plenty of stereo PAs out there, even if they're run mono.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 673 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by Adamcw891 »

Thanks Alec, that is helpful. I am mostly playing piano, Wurlitzer and Hammond organ sounds from the iPad. I'm not sure how mono vs stereo actuslly affects that - for example, does a stereo piano sound mean certain frequencies are panned left, others right? For the Hammond I guess it may affect the sound of the Leslie rotary speaker?

It seems like my options are either to set the iPad to send mono sound only, and then one 1/4 inch to XLR from one of the main outs sounds like it will work fine as that mono sound will come out of both PA speakers.

Or alternatively, to leave the iPad as sending stereo sound, and have two cables, one from each main out, into the PA. This should send relevent part of the stereo sound from each speaker. I will experiment and see what sounds best.

Thanks for all the advice,
Adam
Adamcw891
New here

Post by Mike Stranks »

OP: Please tell us the make and model of the PA system - the amplifier bit. Then we can advise you with a degree of certainty. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Adamcw891 »

Hi Mike,
Sorry for the delay, I was waiting to hear back from the studio we rent it from.

It's a Peavey XR-696F (1000w) PA system

The keyboard I use is a Novation Impulse 61 Midi keyboard into a Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB mixer.

Many thanks, Adam
Adamcw891
New here

Post by resistorman »

blinddrew wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:41 pm I don't know many people who run stereo PAs. In a typical gig, more people than not will be outside the sweet spot so they're not going to hear it in stereo anyway.

I'm one of those heathens that do run in stereo :D My major reason is that effects with synthesized stereo sound awful collapsed into mono. I also find it useful to balance out stage amps in a smallish, wide venue.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Thanks for the update on the precise details of the system.

We're still potentially unable to give a definite answer as the system can be set to operate in either Stereo or Main/Monitor modes.

I think the simplest solution is to run two lines from the 502 into the Left and Right inputs of Channel 7 or Channel 8. That way, however the system is configured you'll get an output to both speakers - either true stereo or dual mono.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Adamcw891 »

Thanks Mike and all who have taken the time to reply, I shall do as you suggest and I certainly feel more knowledgeable about this now 🙂
Best wishes, Adam
Adamcw891
New here

Post by Adamcw891 »

Hi, I finally got to try this out recently using the suggested setup and it worked very well and sounded great.

I was a bit unsure about volume levels - is it better (to reduce hiss, improve sound etc) to have the volume lower on the Xenyx 502 and higher on the PA system channel, or the other way around? Many thanks
Adamcw891
New here

Post by Wonks »

It can depend on the PA as to what’s quietest, but probably best to set up the Xenyx up playing some prerecorded material, so the peaks are about +4dB on the main meters, then set the speaker volumes as loud as you are ever going to want them, then pull the main faders down to a more normal level.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17024 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Adamcw891 »

That's very helpful, thanks!
Adamcw891
New here

Post by Mike Stranks »

Good news! :thumbup:

... and I'd have said exactly the same as Wonks... get good signal strength/meter readings on the mixer then adjust the PA to taste.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster