Best Studio Monitors

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Best Studio Monitors

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:48 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:16 am James, just wondering what Tannoys you’ve got? I used to have Cheviots, and Little Reds, I can remember the first time I heard Tannoys, it was like I couldn’t use anything else, ever again.

I've got a pair of Tannoy Berkeleys which use 15" HPD drivers. They're the bigger brothers of the Cheviots. I only found out recently that they used to belong to Tony Arnold and were used at Arny's Shack for a while.

When I first bought them I tried them with an old Leak Stereo 70 amp and found out that the amp was actually singing along to the music - there was a slight high frequency tone present that I hadn't heard with any other speakers.

OH MY GOD!
Not Arny's Shack!
That was an amazing place, I bought my Bel delay from him, many years ago, Fripp recorded there, with Andy Summers, a magical place.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:18 am
OH MY GOD!
Not Arny's Shack!
That was an amazing place, I bought my Bel delay from him, many years ago, Fripp recorded there, with Andy Summers, a magical place.

Yes, it was mentioned that my monitors had been used to mix a Fripp album. Ironically they have recently been used on some mixes of his wife's material too though I don't know if any of my mixes will see the light of day.
James Perrett
Posts: 14376 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:12 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:18 am
OH MY GOD!
Not Arny's Shack!

Yes, it was mentioned that my monitors had been used to mix a Fripp album. Ironically they have recently been used on some mixes of his wife's material too though I don't know if any of my mixes will see the light of day.

I hope they do use them James,
Toyah?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:09 am Toyah?

Yes - the reissue of Toyah Toyah Toyah has just been released and the deluxe reissue of Anthem is coming out later this year after a long wait for the vinyl to be pressed. If the reissues of her previous albums are anything to go by, the CD version will have quite a bit of bonus material.
James Perrett
Posts: 14376 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

James Perrett wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:24 pm
Arpangel wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:09 am Toyah?

Yes - the reissue of Toyah Toyah Toyah has just been released and the deluxe reissue of Anthem is coming out later this year after a long wait for the vinyl to be pressed. If the reissues of her previous albums are anything to go by, the CD version will have quite a bit of bonus material.

It’s great when you see older artists releasing new material, rather than continuing to play old hits.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster