Aftertouch?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Aftertouch?

Post by Arpangel »

Yes, aftertouch :crazy:
I spent a great day yesterday sorting out my mobile rig, ironing out all the bugs, and making it how "I" want it to be.
I struggled for ages with my Keystep, what an evil thing that is, anything with dip switches is, but it’s staying as I’ve worked it out, after months of trying, and I’m not buying another keyboard.
The most infuriating thing yesterday was trying to get the Mellotron app on my iPad to stop receiving aftertouch, and my Keystep from transmitting it, it really lead me up the garden path, I was wondering why the Rhodes sound was distorting occasionally, I found out that it was the aftertouch triggering a brass sound underneath the Rhodes, I then had to figure out out how to turn that off, after checking my speakers, levels etc :(
I turned it off in the app, but it was still there, turned out I had to reboot for that change to take effect.
To turn it off on the Keystep it said I had to load up some control app, I was hoping to just do it from the keyboard but no such luck, so it didn’t get done.
It’s all OK now, but I’ve had similar problems with aftertouch in the past causing all sorts of unwanted issues.
Fine, if you like that sort of thing, but it should be more accessible on some bits of kit and not on by default.
I will be replacing that Keystep at some point, but with what, I don’t know yet.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Aftertouch?

Post by Ben Asaro »

The KeyStep Pro, naturally! :headbang::D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by DGL. »

On my S2 one of the piano patches (electric grand) has some form of pitch shifting (if I remember correctly) controlled by the aftertouch which is on by default which I don't get, it's not like other patches don;t have aftertouch disabled.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:39 pm The KeyStep Pro, naturally! :headbang::D

I’m obviously not a a Pro Ben! if I were a pro I’d I’d be in big trouble trying to pay my rent from my music, I’d be changing to making pop music overnight, with the cheapest set-up I could lay my hands on.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Dunno what's available on Windows or Mac, but for troublesome apps I pass incoming MIDI through a MIDI router program where I can redirect or filter out any commands. Not needed for Yoshimi of course :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18183 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Arpangel »

Folderol wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:18 am Dunno what's available on Windows or Mac, but for troublesome apps I pass incoming MIDI through a MIDI router program where I can redirect or filter out any commands. Not needed for Yoshimi of course :tongue:

I’m OK on my Mac/PC, it’s my iPad that’s the problem, things can be a bit harder to find.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

Tony, the MidiFlow app can filter out controllers like Aftertouch. I have it but have really not got my head around it. It seems to create its own MIDI nodes, so you can connect its input to the Keystep and the Mellotron app input to MidiFlow. There are likely to be other app solutions (AUM?).

To be honest, I haven't grapsed the idea of the iPad as an environment of connected apps, I just tend to use one thing at a time. Accepting that you have fixed it this time, a filter app might help in future.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Arpangel »

BillB wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:14 pm Tony, the MidiFlow app can filter out controllers like Aftertouch. I have it but have really not got my head around it. It seems to create its own MIDI nodes, so you can connect its input to the Keystep and the Mellotron app input to MidiFlow. There are likely to be other app solutions (AUM?).

To be honest, I haven't grapsed the idea of the iPad as an environment of connected apps, I just tend to use one thing at a time. Accepting that you have fixed it this time, a filter app might help in future.

Thanks Bill, I haven’t had good experiences of connected apps on any iPad, there have always been major crashes, I tried Audio-buss, and that wasn’t good.
Yes, I’ve managed to sort this one out, hopefully, I won’t have anymore apps or keyboards like these ones!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster