Which reverb ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Which reverb ?

Post by Arpangel »

YashN wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 pm Personally, I use hardware rack Effects, on Analogue Mixer AUX sends.

Me too, lots of sends, Eventide have become way too cliched, Lexicon still have it, so do Yamaha, plus my old Midiverbs.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:12 pm There was a similar reverb thread a few days ago and you will get as many suggestions as there are replies (because we’ve all got one each ;) )

Bob speaks the truth but here are my thoughts :-)

Ever since Martin reviewed it way back in 2009 I've been a steadfast fan of 2cAudio's Aether software plugin.

I've not owned that many 'high end' reverbs (I tend to favour delay over reverb) but I've heard quite a few first-hand from visiting various folks many of whom frequent this forum.

Aether has been updated a handful of times since that review and is still right up there with the best of them to my humble ear.

When it comes to hardware I've got two 'go-to' units. The first is legacy crunchy goodness in the form of the Alesis Midiverb 4. This probably isn't what you (Scouser) are looking for but it has something about it that's particularly pleasing to me and I've heard more than a few people say nice things about it.

The second is the on-board reverb in the Novation Summit. If they made that algorithm available in a rackmount they'd probably sell loads of them. Not that many parameters (3 spacial types only) but it's a wonderful sound and I'm very happy that they made it possible to use the Summit as an FX unit for external audio sources.

Scouser wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:15 pm I'm not actually looking for plugins, rather how to distinguish one from another and be able to identify the type and generally get a better understanding where to start.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with that but then again from the above I'd say that in my case it's more a case of finding the solutions that sound good in a mix. If it sounds good in a mix (granted there's a whole discussion about what 'good' means to different people) then it is good.

In my case, 'good' means 'transparent' insofar as I can hear the effect without it overwhelming or masking various other things going on in a mix. To complicate things further I'd say that a good half of that is down to the skill of the mixing engineer working with whatever unit they have available to them.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by rha »

Might be useful to look at something like the manual for the Lexicon 480L as it goes into a bit of detail about how the reverbs work and what the parameters do, with some pointers as to what might be useful in recreating certain sounds. I guess there are some general principals that may carry over to other units or plugins, original hardware not necessarily required?!
rha
Poster

Post by muzines »

rha wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:44 pmMight be useful to look at something like the manual for the Lexicon 480L as it goes into a bit of detail about how the reverbs work and what the parameters do, with some pointers as to what might be useful in recreating certain sounds.

Honestly, the Relab manuals for their reverbs (including the 480L emulation) are excellent and easy-digestible primers for general reverb principles, and are well worth a glance through - at least for the introductory stuff, you don't need to get into the nitty-gritty of the actual plugin.

Here's the LX480 Complete manual:
https://relabdevelopment.com/public/man ... Manual.pdf
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:54 pm
Ever since Martin reviewed it way back in 2009 I've been a steadfast fan of 2cAudio's Aether software plugin.

Me too. Except that I have now just transitioned from Intel to Silicon, and Aether does not seem to be silicon compatible and no longer shows up as an option in my Digital Performer 11 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 7.

Ho hum.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1108 Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:00 am Location: London

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Gone To Lunch wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:12 am... I have now just transitioned from Intel to Silicon, and Aether does not seem to be silicon compatible and no longer shows up as an option in my Digital Performer 11 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 7.

Ho hum.

I sympathise. Aether has been around for many years and I've not updated it for ages. I don't know what 2CAudio are doing but I note from their product page that they say:

2CAudio wrote:Aether is available for AU, VST, and AAX hosts under Mac OSX.7 or higher. Both 64-bit and 32-bit versions are provided for all formats. An Intel-based CPU is required for Mac OSX. WE DO NOT SUPPORT PPC.

This seems something of an outdated statement. My hope is that they would continue the tradition of an excellent plugin by supporting it on the latest Apple architecture (even though I'm not a user of same).

I've just dropped them a note asking about their plans, if any, to support the latest Apple hardware. I'll post an update with their response if/when I get it.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by RichardT »

Here are some quick thoughts on reverb plugin types. Probably this can be easily improved..

I think there are two dimensions to think about.

The first is - what is the aim of the plugin?

- to recreate real spaces
- to recreate reverbs from the past (plates, springs, early digital etc)
- to create interesting effects
- some combination of these

The second is - how does it work?

- using algorithms to calculate the reverb
- using modelling technology to simulate devices
- using impulses / convolution technology to model real spaces
- some combination of these

I’ve no idea if that helps. For modern recordings, it will be very difficult to tell by listening what’s going on. Best thing is just to try things out.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by 6120 »

I don't know if someone has mentioned it but depending on the DAW software you're using for recording, with the exception of Reaper, all modern DAWs have their own flavours of reverb that might be worth trying before buying anything else?

I love reverb and have far too many reverb plugins and have deliberatly decide to strip back all my plugins to the ones I find most useful. I've got several Eventide reverbs that are excellent but expensive if not on sale, SSL, again excellent and I got it on sale a few months ago at a great price, and Sonnox, probably my favourite and again got them in the Black Friday deals several years.

However, the best value reverb plugin, IMHO, is the range by Valhalla DSP (https://valhalladsp.com) that's well worth trying as they're $50 all year round.
Regular
Posts: 97 Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: London

Post by Scouser »

Sam Inglis wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:17 pm The Kris Kristofferson track mentioned in the OP was released in 1970, which of course rules out the use of digital reverb. The available technologies at the time were chambers, plates and springs. It was recorded at Monument Studios in Nashville which certainly had EMT plates -- I don't know whether it also had a chamber. The most noticeable thing about it is that it sits behind the vocal even though it's quite prominent, I think because it's delayed using a tape machine. If I wanted to try to reproduce that I'd start with a fairly dense chamber or plate sound and use a fairly long pre-delay, perhaps 80-100 ms or thereabouts.

Thanks for the replies

Sam, so with a little research one can rule out certain reverbs and get closer to what may have been used. Thanks for taking a listen to the track. Thanks for the giving me some idea as to what may be going on in the example.

This is the type of thing I mean, being able to find some vague starting point, even if that is being able to distinguish the difference between a plate and room.

I think there could be value in just limiting oneself to using one reverb, when learning. Whilst that may not always get you the sound you want, you will be learning the parameters and settings, which will apply to other reverbs when you come to use them ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Post by YashN »

Other hardware worth checking: Ensoniq's DP4 and DP4+, as well as Alesis Midiverb II. The latter is quite good for the price it goes for, even today.

Budget Lexicon but very cool is the one I have: LXP-15. If the hardware mods are already done, then you can also upgrade its firmware to make it an LXP-15 II. Presets are great and if at all you need to tweak them, internal parameters are easily accessible. Another cool thing about it is that it has 5 CV inputs which you can program to be map to parameters of your choice. This makes the control interaction with other gear quite interesting.

Software-side, also check out Acustica Audio's offerings (Acqua and more). Their technology really nails Virtual Analogue.
YashN
Regular
Posts: 61 Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:56 pm Location: North America

Post by resistorman »

Scouser wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:40 am I think there could be value in just limiting oneself to using one reverb, when learning. Whilst that may not always get you the sound you want, you will be learning the parameters and settings, which will apply to other reverbs when you come to use them ?

Many reverbs don't have all that many parameters, but the terms can vary, which can be confusing. The usual important ones are length (time of decay) size (the physical size of room/ device) density (amount of discrete reflections) color (balance of frequencies) pre-delay (as noted by Sam about Kristofferson's sound), modulation (an artificial effect that gives motion to the reverb) and mix. One of my favorites, Little Plate from Sound Toys, only has Decay (length), Lowcut (color), Mix, and modulation on/off.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by YashN »

I was just showing my Kurzweil KDFX manuals to a friend of mine who's also into synths and composition. They are available for download at Kurzweils website (Legacy -> K2500 or K2600) if you want to have a look at parameters and their meanings.
YashN
Regular
Posts: 61 Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:56 pm Location: North America