Live (mostly) in the studio video

Members who have 100 or more posts under their belt can apply to the Moderator Team requesting membership of this forum. We will add you to the members and you will then be free to post here to promote your own music, recording activities, releases and gigs, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Live (mostly) in the studio video

Post by Aled Hughes »

I haven't posted this before,. It's from a few years ago, with one of my absolute favourite artists. I loved the sessions for this album - what you see in the video was live, with piano and electric guitar overdubbed later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kK7LGZGO10
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Re: Live (mostly) in the studio video

Post by James Perrett »

That sounds (and looks) great. I'm a little intrigued - which mic was actually recording the vocals?
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Aled Hughes »

James Perrett wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:19 pm That sounds (and looks) great. I'm a little intrigued - which mic was actually recording the vocals?

Guess 😉
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

It sounds like the large diaphragm condenser (U87?) due to the smoother high end and lack of proximity effect when she comes in closer to the mic but I've been surprised at just how good an SM58 can sound under the right circumstances.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Aled Hughes »

James Perrett wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:53 pm It sounds like the large diaphragm condenser (U87?) due to the smoother high end and lack of proximity effect when she comes in closer to the mic but I've been surprised at just how good an SM58 can sound under the right circumstances.

Yes, it is the U87 you’re hearing. I’d say 80% of the drum sound is also spill into the back end of the vocal mic!

The Shure was used as a “comfort mic” of sorts for her monitoring, as she had been rehearsing the songs with an SM58 through a cheap little amp with a huge overblown reverb and had gotten very used to performing that way, so that’s what she had in the headphones!

Thanks for listening, and for the kind words.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

Thanks for posting that. Very enjoyable :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by shufflebeat »

V cool. Thanks for that.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by awjoe »

Aled Hughes wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:24 pm
James Perrett wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:53 pm It sounds like the large diaphragm condenser (U87?) due to the smoother high end and lack of proximity effect when she comes in closer to the mic but I've been surprised at just how good an SM58 can sound under the right circumstances.

Yes, it is the U87 you’re hearing...

The Shure was used as a “comfort mic” of sorts for her monitoring, as she had been rehearsing the songs with an SM58 through a cheap little amp with a huge overblown reverb and had gotten very used to performing that way, so that’s what she had in the headphones!

I'm glad you reported that, because there was something about the audio/video connection that didn't convince re: the singing into the 58 - it didn't sound close enough.

So, two things. First, I wanted the fiddle louder. I'm talking 2 dB at least. Just saying. Second, I'm in love. Maybe you think I'm exaggerating or something, but now I have to follow that singer, because she moved me on that one. 72 years old and falling in love with a woman in a video. Pathetic. I wish I understood what she was singing about.

Oh, there's a third thing. I'm all about music videos for presenting music these days, and this one is five stars for me. Thanks very much for posting. This is pretty much the best I've seen so far in this forum.
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

awjoe wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:41 amI wish I understood what she was singing about.

If you still spend your time hiding, remember,
I know all the streets of your mind.
I know this city, the dust and the chaos,
I know the straight and narrow paths
And gorgeous gardens of your skin while you sleep.

Three hundred and forty six thousand
People are living in Cardiff
Yet not one knows the way
The way to you.
Three hundred and forty six thousand.

When we were spent I went as far as I could, far away,
But there was traffic on the roads and traffic on my phone.
Traffic in my mind and traffic in my veins
Driving me back to Cardiff -
One way diversion to your kingdom.

Three hundred and forty six thousand
People are living in Cardiff
Yet not one knows the way
The way to you.
Three hundred and forty six thousand.

Lovely work that Aled. :clap:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by awjoe »

Yes, I saw the translation of the Welsh into English, and it gives me the impression that the song is as good as the performance of it. But what I meant was I wish I knew which word she was leaning into with each note and inflection. I've got the macro understanding of the lyrics, but the it micro delivery that I want. This recording really landed in me with impact. It's been echoing in my mind since I heard it. Hey - maybe that's because I don't understand Welsh!
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Gotcha. Though I find that there are enough non-welsh words and / or understandable ones that I can broadly follow the translation and work out where the emphasis is generally sitting.
The finer detail remains, satisfyingly, a mystery. :)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Folderol »

Thanks a lot for that translation Drew. Definitely add an extra dimension :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!