RCF M18, Zoom L20R, or something else?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Post by MarkOne »

This looks like a great value product. Anyone had any experience with it?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by MarkOne »

Or indeed the Zoom L20r..

On paper this looks like a more capable product all around. I was hoping there might be a SoS review but it seems not.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Re: RCF M18, Zoom L20R, or something else?

Post by MarkOne »

Perhaps a bit of background is in order...

I am preparing for a couple of gigs later this year (Wedding venue around 150 people and a pub warm-up gig) and as a band we can probably pull together most of the kit we need.

Between use we have some Mackie Thump 12" mains, a couple of Beheringer F1220 wedges, myself and the drummer will be going wired IEMs, I have a Samson drum mic set, a 57 for the guitar cab, we have 58s for the two singers and I'll be DI-ing the keys. not sure what the bassists amp will be yet.

Last time we played together I made do with my venerable Alesis multi mix 16 (Which really isn't a live mixer and only has one pre-fader send so we all had to share one monitor mix)

At the same time I really will need to replace my now departed Saffire 40 in the studio for the times I want to record more than 2 channels from the Scarlet 2i4, so I was sort of thinking initially the X18 might not both bills, but as I pointed out on another thread, nobody's expecting any stock of that until after the gigs, so the two units referred to in the thread title are what I've seen as possible alternatives.

Any thoughts on these or any other alternatives at that sort of price point?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by resistorman »

Since you want it for studio use too, drivers may be something to think about. Zoom's are decent in my experience. I didn't even know RCF made a mixer.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Does it have to be digital?

For the sort of money you're considering you can get something very respectable in the analogue domain. There are some analogue bargains to be had second-hand now as many are migrating to digital.

There are mixers from A&H, Soundcraft, Presonus, Yamaha f'r instance that I'd certainly be happy to consider for the sort of application you envisage...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:28 pm Does it have to be digital?

For the sort of money you're considering you can get something very respectable in the analogue domain. There are some analogue bargains to be had second-hand now as many are migrating to digital.

There are mixers from A&H, Soundcraft, Presonus, Yamaha f'r instance that I'd certainly be happy to consider for the sort of application you envisage...

But they won't cover the Saffire replacement side of the equation.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Soundcraft UI24R? Bit on the pricey side though maybe?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

resistorman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:39 pm Since you want it for studio use too, drivers may be something to think about. Zoom's are decent in my experience. I didn't even know RCF made a mixer.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rcf-m18
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19589 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Dave Rowles »

Of those 2, I'd go for the Zoom, as it's got more XLR/jack combi inputs which is likely to be more flexible and useful in the long run. Zoom make good gear as well so it'll be a solid piece of kit.

The only thing I don't like is the twisty knob gain pots. I know it keeps the cost down, but if you've got to use a controller anyway I'd be wanting to alter the gains on the controller.

That said, there isn't much choice around at the minute....stupid chip shortage.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1452 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Mike Stranks »

blinddrew wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:39 pm
Mike Stranks wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:28 pm Does it have to be digital?

But they won't cover the Saffire replacement side of the equation.

Oops! :blush:

I'd skim-read and not absorbed the full implications...

As for the RCF, I was seriously thinking of getting one in March 2020. Then something called COVID came along... live-sound for me finished permanently at that point... I was getting close to pulling stumps on what is a very physical activity anyway...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by AlecSp »

The M18 never seemed to hit it off, a bit too late to the party, and a bit overpriced, with no great differentiators.

The Zoom mixers are a bit toytown.

At the budget end, the XR18 is a screaming bargain that does a great job live, and will give you the 16 in/16 out interface you also want. I'm shocked to see current prices up in the £700 mark, given that they were around £300 a few years back, but that's the global conditions. They'd be a reasonable eBay buy, as they don't have moving parts.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 669 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by MarkOne »

Yes, the XR18 was my first thought, but due to chip shortages, the chances of anyone getting stock before the gigs is pretty much zero. Some retailers are quoting November
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify