Coloured heat shrink big enough for XLR plugs

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Coloured heat shrink big enough for XLR plugs

Post by MarkOne »

I’d like to colour code my XLRs so I can dive in the bag and get out the right lengths. I really don’t want to unsolder them all to slip it on to the cable, anyone know if you can get coloured heat shrink big enough to slide on the barrel of an XLR?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Re: Coloured heat shrink big enough for XLR plugs

Post by Pippacairn »

This may be suitable from CPC;
order code CB20365
Concordia 2:1 Heatshrink Kit, Multicoloured, 25.4mm x 250mm (Pack of 12) - AHSP25.4
Pippacairn
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

An XLR barrel is 19mm and often the collar is bigger, most HS tubing has a shrink ratio of 3:1 but it is available with a 4:1 shrink ratio (but that's the most I've found with a quick google). I'd say if you are using 6mm cable then it would probably just work with 24mm HS but I doubt you'd get 20mm cable over most XLRs if your cable is 5mm or smaller.

I just use a couple of small coloured zip ties around each end of the cable close to the connector, in my case for identification rather than length but I might incorporate a length code if I ever get around to redoing them.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by ef37a »

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/adhesives-a ... jkEALw_wcB

I have used a similar product years ago and it bonds to itself and never oozes or goes sticky. I dare say they do other colours?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by DGL. »

I know the Neutrik XLR's don't need desoldering to fit their coding rings as they fit between the metal shell and the plastic "boot".
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1950 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Rene Asologuitar »

Pippacairn wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:31 pm This may be suitable from CPC;
order code CB20365
Concordia 2:1 Heatshrink Kit, Multicoloured, 25.4mm x 250mm (Pack of 12) - AHSP25.4

This is good.
Rene Asologuitar
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:43 am
order code CB20365

This is good.

That will only shrink down to ½" min so if you want it on the cable it won't work. If you intend to shrink it on the connector it'll be fine. It's nice and cheap though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Pippacairn »

Sam Spoons wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:54 am
Rene Asologuitar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:43 am
order code CB20365

This is good.

That will only shrink down to ½" min so if you want it on the cable it won't work. If you intend to shrink it on the connector it'll be fine. It's nice and cheap though.

MarkOne requested heat shrink to “go on the barrel” of an XLR not over, a play on words perhaps!
Pippacairn
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

He did indeed :thumbup: , I was just covering the bases as he had also talked about unsoldering and sliding the HS onto the cable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Actually, I didn't know those Neutrik coding rings were even a thing!, let a lone they could be retrofitted just by unscrewing the barrel!

Think that will be a perfect solution!
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by ef37a »

MarkOne wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:45 pm Actually, I didn't know those Neutrik coding rings were even a thing!, let a lone they could be retrofitted just by unscrewing the barrel!

I would still put a unique colour combination on the XLRs. Stops the TV Co crews "forgetting" they are not theirs!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by forumuser840717 »

ef37a wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:49 pm
MarkOne wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:45 pm Actually, I didn't know those Neutrik coding rings were even a thing!, let a lone they could be retrofitted just by unscrewing the barrel!

I would still put a unique colour combination on the XLRs. Stops the TV Co crews "forgetting" they are not theirs!

Making one's cable distinctive in some way is always a good idea when working with others - though I wouldn't go to the extent I saw in some pictures where someone chose lime green coloured mic cables for on-stage use!

I always find that negotiations with TV production companies over the whereabouts of missing cables go much more smoothly if one manages to "accidentally" de-rig a couple of their triax/fibre runs while they're distracted "accidentally" de-rigging not their mic cables! :tongue: Failing that, a camera, lens or tripod accidentally getting put in the wrong place always seems to work.

The Neutrik coloured marker rings are a handy invention if you need to retrofit some kind of marking. They do a version for their jack plugs too.

Oh, and another option for ownership marking, when you have metal bodies on your connectors, is to get them engraved or laser etched with some kind of ID marks. It's more expensive than the plastic marker rings but looks smart, is completely permanent (unless someone swaps the connector bodies out) and can also be done after the connectors are soldered - either by doing them in place or by removing the connector bodies and sending them off.
forumuser840717
Regular