Korg MS-20 is/was a "Limited Series". REALLY?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Korg MS-20 is/was a "Limited Series". REALLY?

Post by TmTmClb »

Hi, this is my first post here.

Among the few synths I own, the Behringer K-2 gets its fair share of due respect from me. (N.B. this is not a thread about how good or evil Behringer is.)

I doubt very much anybody would hear the difference between the K-2 and the various Korg iterations of the MS-20 IN A MIX. The K-2 size and Eurorack patching compatibility are bonuses. I'm not looking for the most agressive sound/filter/resonance, or the integrated keyboard. but Damn! that 2020 Full-Size reissue is attractive. Bigger controls should make it feel like a real instrument and not just a powerful toy. I'm not talking about the features or the sound, but the heft and the PRESENCE of the object. The higher plane of knob twiddling. The gorgeous "shklack" sound of inserting full-size jacks vs. the "click" of K-2 minijacks.

The thing that has prevented me so far from buying it is the "Limited Serie" label by Korg. After all, they did the MS20m and the Mini (I don't count the plugin). What prevents them of releasing the MS-20B next year? If I was sure that this would never be re-released again, I'd indulge my recurrent GAS right away.

What do you guys think?
TmTmClb

Re: Korg MS-20 is/was a "Limited Series". REALLY?

Post by Guest »

I think it's a Behringer advert.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

TmTmClb wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:23 pm The thing that has prevented me so far from buying it is the "Limited Serie" label by Korg.
What do you guys think?

Korg have made available several reissues of the MS-20 and most of them are not limited editions.

The MS-20 Mini came out in 2013, a full sized Korg MS-20 (which was limited edition) came out in 2014, the Korg MS-20M kit came out in 2015 and the full-sized Korg MS-20 FS was announced at NAMM in 2020.

Most people with the discernment and budget to do so would pick a Korg model over a Behringer model I suspect. Apart from anything else, Behringer support is painful at best.

Given that Korg have made both full-size and mini versions of the hardware available socket size shouldn't be a problem so I'd go for one with the full size sockets from Korg, avoid the cheap Behringer clones and be done with it.

That's what I think, anyway.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by BJG145 »

I hadn't really clocked this full-size Korg version; looks cool. It's a different thing compared to the Behringer module. The question of whether Korg might release another one wouldn't affect my decision either way.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by TmTmClb »

BJG145 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 pm I hadn't really clocked this full-size Korg version; looks cool. It's a different thing compared to the Behringer module. The question of whether Korg might release another one wouldn't affect my decision either way.

Thanks for your reply, especially because it reminds me I forgot something in my first post: I also hesitate because if the K-2 loses value, it's not big deal given its price. I don't have to worry about reselling it. With the price of the MS-20 FS, it's another story. If it remains a limited series, I can hope to sell it at a good price if I need or if I feel like it. If they keep selling it for another ten years or if they release a new version, chances are resale value will go down. Please note I'm no collector or investor, just a guy without a steady income...
TmTmClb

Post by BJG145 »

TmTmClb wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:07 pmIf they keep selling it for another ten years

I was a bit puzzled that a limited edition is still available over a year later. I wonder how many they made, or are going to make. It doesn't really mean much without numbers.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/korg-ms-20- ... h-in-white

https://www.andertons.co.uk/korg-ms-20- ... h-in-green

It also sounds like they might be leaving the door open with their talk of "four limited-edition colors"; nothing to stop them releasing an orange one.

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/ms_20fs/

I take your point about the rarity or collector's-item status being affected by future releases, but it's impossible to predict really. I'd have thought they would hold their value reasonably well; perhaps its appeal is more as a high-quality modern MS20 to use now than an investment for later.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by rockydennis »

I don’t know how many of the MS-20 FS Korg intends to build, but every retailer online has them in stock so they’re probably not exactly rare. If there’s a possibility that you might have to sell it, buy one used to minimize any possible loss - in the US, I see a demo unit for $300 less than a new one.
rockydennis
Regular

Post by zenguitar »

The key thing to understand about Limited Edition or Limited Series is the capitalisation.

This means that what you are looking at is a name, not a description. However, it is intended to be read as a description, albeit one that is deniable.

I have some of my late mother's possessions to dispose of still (lockdown got in the way) and that includes a number of collectable, decorative, plates. And I am reminded of something that I learned in the mid 90's when she was buying them.

Many manufacturers offered Limited Editions that were genuinely fixed production runs with no more to be made in the future. But the numbers that they produced in those ranges often substantially exceeded the numbers produced in their standard, non-limited, range.

It is all about marketing and the power of capital letters.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by N i g e l »

yeah.

Its an ambiguous term..

Hardware limited edition = manufacture N units, smash the moulds, burn the blueprints.
Software limited edition = cheaper or free, functionally restricted version.

MS20 v K20?

Its the same electronics & the different form factor has minimal production cost. It boils down to buying a Korg v buying a Behringer.

I think this might be a keystone in my viewpoint of Behringer synths4all v asperational big brand items.

I missed the Korg MS20 "limited edition" [kit?] from 2012 ish but bought the later MS20-m desktop kit.
A dream come true + both filters, FM & pwm.

That was before the Behringer synth watershed; after the watershed, I sold the MS20-m and bought a K20 [pocketing the difference, kerching, thank you].

I cant tell the difference between the MS20 & K20 other than the form factor is smaller/fiddlyer & the external processing is more stable[which could be a bad thing musically].
Thats not an A/B comparison as I didnt own both at the sane time.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Arpangel »

The MS20 in its original "form" is one of my favourite synths, but strangely, I don’t own one!
It’s something that I’ve never really "needed" so it’s at the bottom if my list.
There is something so right about the design, and the shape, a bit like a Mini Moog format, but more angular, and business like, I love it.
Just typing this now, it’s making me want one!

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

yeah, the design is iconic.
Literally !
Ive seen [non korg] webpages where the icon on the button to the synthesizer section is an MS20 symbol.
The angles, knobs & patch bay give the MS20 a kind of mad science equipment look.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:42 am yeah, the design is iconic.
Literally !
Ive seen [non korg] webpages where the icon on the button to the synthesizer section is an MS20 symbol.
The angles, knobs & patch bay give the MS20 a kind of mad science equipment look.

Typical, that reissue is out of production by Korg now, plenty of green and white ones around, but no black ones, the only colour really.
I love that mad scientist look, great description.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster