Where am I?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Where am I?

Post by OneWorld »

Sorry, not a music question but didn't know where else to ask the question.

When I sign in to eBay, I get an email saying "A new device has signed into your account" and that email also identifies my location - ok no big deal, we know we are being watched all the time.

But about a few weeks ago, I started getting the same email, but it identifies my location as being one that is some 25 miles away.

Why would it do that? I thought location tracing was correct down to a few 100 yards at most
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Where am I?

Post by muzines »

It depends on what your ISP reports as the location of your traffic.

Sometimes it's the location of the data centre your traffic is coming onto the internet from, sometimes it's more local to you but "fuzzed" for privacy/security purposes.

Generally nothing to worry about. Your IP traffic isn't quite as location accurate as something like an iPhone, with inbuilt GPS etc.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Guest »

I get them where they are the other end of the country, the time is the only thing you can really rely on.

Post by OneWorld »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 pm I get them where they are the other end of the country, the time is the only thing you can really rely on.

I get it now, thanks
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Just to confirm other comments... I regularly get prompts telling me about bargains etc in my location - which is identified as being some 50 miles from here!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:56 am Just to confirm other comments... I regularly get prompts telling me about bargains etc in my location - which is identified as being some 50 miles from here!

Yep me too, from hither and thither and all over - I'm a Reeeeeal No Where Man, Sittin' In a NoWhere Land.......

I can't remember the rest of the tune
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by N i g e l »

Microsoft know you from your hardware details and your ip address. They are not checking up on you ;) they just want to give you appropriate updates, the most accurate weather & local CNN newsflashes on your task bar.

Your browser knows you from your MyPc details, ip and browsing history.
The very least a website knows about you is your OS, browser, screen size, location......etc

Its quite interesting to see what Google Analytics or similar can extract from your page landing.

Judging distance on time might be inacurate as the distance can vary depending on the route taken [its a web ! ]

@ 1ns/foot, 50 miles = 266 us
[citation needed] !

If your mobile with GPS, connecting thruough wifi or a cellular basestation then you location will be known more accurately.
They are not checking up on you, they just want to offer accurate weather, shopping, mapping .........

If your worried set your VPN to Scott base Antartica :lol:

Have you watched "Hunted" ? theres a series currently on the telly.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3693 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles