Jupiter X ?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Jupiter X ?

Post by Arpangel »

I posted about the Jupiter XM awhile back, still haven’t done anything about it.
It would make an excellent one-box jamming keyboard, but there are a couple of issues with the XM, the keyboard size is compact, but can I put up with it for playing pianos? Also the operating system, it seems over-complicated.
Enter the Jupiter X, a bigger more usable keyboard, but the OS is the same.
I’m drawn to this keyboard from the sounds I’ve heard, and it does have good pianos, Rhodes etc, I like the character of them.
After reading the SOS review of the JX, it stopped me moving forward, the OS did seem to be a major issue.
I like the sounds of this keyboard, and I’m having trouble thinking of any other contenders in a similar ball park, sound wise, there are a few things, like the easily accessible arpeggiator, and general layout.
The XM is expensive, and the JX is a serious purchase, it’s not my Prophet, it’s not like anything I already have, it would be primarily for jamming, it has a versatility that isn’t in anything else I own.
I do need a good all round keyboard, I have to take all sorts of things to jams, having just one keyboard would be ideal, I could look for something older, like a Triton, or similar, that would be cheaper, and the sounds are good, but not as good as the piano and EP sounds in the JX, and the JX has a great synth engine.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Jupiter X ?

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I'm not going to give you any deep insights into the Jupiter X but a friend of mine has one, I've played it a lot, and I think it sounds fantastic.

Other people may disagree but I really like it. It's not something I'm likely to buy because my existing collection covers the ground I'd ask of it but if I was starting with an empty room and a budget it would be high on the list. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out grabbing one for myself if the price was right.

Reviews are well and good, and in the case of SOS exceptionally so, but when it comes down to it it's all about you and an instrument. I found it inspiring, intriguing, delightful and with hidden depths I'd like to explore even though currently I feel I have it covered between the dozens of synths I already own.

If I could swap my Korg M3 + Radias for it, I would in a heartbeat. The Radias, especially, is capable of superb sounds but I find it difficult to program and navigate and for the purposes I'd use it for I find my KingKORG covers all of them.

The KingKORG has a silly name but it's a hugely under-rated synth and sounds fantastic. It has one arpeggiator and no step sequencers but I have a Korg SQ-64 hardware sequencer which more than makes up for that. The M3 is a very capable board and sounds wonderful but it's a subset of the Kronos, which I also have.

I'm mulling over selling my Korg M3+Radias in the 73-note keyboard frame in order to get some more Eurorack modules or to minorly offset the cost of an OB-X8. I don't think I need any of those, but hey: it'll be the first gear I've sold in decades if I do.

I am as of yet undecided as to the best course of action for me but I'm in no hurry. If I do sell the M3+Radias, I might just get a rush of blood to the head and grab a Jupiter X after all. I'm not a big fan of the 'Roland' sound but having played my friend's my worries are qualmed on that front.

It's more about space than budget as I'm now operating the 1-in-1-out policy although of course cost is a consideration to factor in.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8829 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:10 am I'm not going to give you any deep insights into the Jupiter X but a friend of mine has one, I've played it a lot, and I think it sounds fantastic.

Other people may disagree but I really like it. It's not something I'm likely to buy because my existing collection covers the ground I'd ask of it but if I was starting with an empty room and a budget it would be high on the list. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out grabbing one for myself if the price was right.

Reviews are well and good, and in the case of SOS exceptionally so, but when it comes down to it it's all about you and an instrument. I found it inspiring, intriguing, delightful and with hidden depths I'd like to explore even though currently I feel I have it covered between the dozens of synths I already own.

If I could swap my Korg M3 + Radias for it, I would in a heartbeat. The Radias, especially, is capable of superb sounds but I find it difficult to program and navigate and for the purposes I'd use it for I find my KingKORG covers all of them.

The KingKORG has a silly name but it's a hugely under-rated synth and sounds fantastic. It has one arpeggiator and no step sequencers but I have a Korg SQ-64 hardware sequencer which more than makes up for that. The M3 is a very capable board and sounds wonderful but it's a subset of the Kronos, which I also have.

I'm mulling over selling my Korg M3+Radias in the 73-note keyboard frame in order to get some more Eurorack modules or to minorly offset the cost of an OB-X8. I don't think I need any of those, but hey: it'll be the first gear I've sold in decades if I do.

I am as of yet undecided as to the best course of action for me but I'm in no hurry. If I do sell the M3+Radias, I might just get a rush of blood to the head and grab a Jupiter X after all. I'm not a big fan of the 'Roland' sound but having played my friend's my worries are qualmed on that front.

It's more about space than budget as I'm now operating the 1-in-1-out policy although of course cost is a consideration to factor in.

Thanks Eddy, interesting.
Your view was unexpected, it’s made me think more about it, I think it’s a mistake for me to think about the OS negatively, I like the sounds so much, I can imagine wanting to really get into it.
It’s not so much the Roland sound, it’s just a "good sound"! I’ve been looking for a deep synth, plus, some good pianos etc, for ages, and this seems right, I think I don’t need to open the horses mouth any further!
Knowing my luck, the day I go to buy it it’ll be discontinued!

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Arpangel wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:06 am Knowing my luck, the day I go to buy it it’ll be discontinued!

:)

This has been an affliction of mine for decades.

EMU Proteus Keys PK6 - Discontinued the week I picked up mine
Alesis Fusion - Discontinued within 3 months of getting mine
Roland Fantom G7 - Discontinued just BEFORE I picked mine up*

*OK the G6 and G8 soldiered on for another year but the ARX supernatural expansion program just stopped dead after the brass and EP boards, and all the good stuff they teased at NAMM when they launched it like the tone wheel organ and orchestra boards just never happened nor did OS V2.0 that was planned to fix a few bugs (like the infuriating lack of debounce on the 2nd pedal switch input!)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2740 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Arpangel »

Also, have you seen the way prices are going up? It’s really scary, not just by a few pounds, but by a few hundred in some cases.
For instance, the Yamaha YC61 has increased by about £300 in the space of a couple of months.
You’re tempted to buy now, in case things get completely crazy, and that’s, if you can actually find what you want in stock.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Richard Benn »

The Jupiter X software has evolved considerably since Gordon Reid's original review. This should hopefully list the changes: https://www.roland.com/uk/support/by_p ... 4868d7e07/

Part of the perceived complexity in the Jupiter-X comes from the fact that you can have up to four parts layered at once, and in this situation it can be confusing to know what you are tweaking when twiddling the knobs. The v1.5 update last year added a single model mode which gives just one layer and makes it feel much more like an emulation of the original models. It is surprisingly compelling.

The v3 software that came out earlier this year is even better. As well as making it much easier to get ordinary arpeggios (as opposed to the strange i-Arpeggio), it added a new synth model - the Jupiter-X. This is a four partial virtual analogue synth that maps almost exactly to the front panel controls. It's the synth that the Jupiter-X always promised to be. OK, you could probably do this via much menu diving previously, but mapping it to the hardware makes it so much more accessible. It's pretty much a new synth and wonderful sounding - imagine the Jupiter 8 updated to 2022. Probably the first time a synth gets an update to do what it looked like it did all along :D

The keypad is beautiful but the aftertouch requires a very firm pressure.

One downside thing the original review didn't delve into is the claim of Roland's marketing department that the Jupiter-X has 256 voices. It may have at a technical level but not in any way that an end user would understand it. I won't go into it here as it has been covered extensively on the thread over on Gear Space, but basically the way resources are allocated means the polyphony of the analogue models is way below that. The Juno and SH models are the worst for this. I find it's not ordinarily an issue, but if you are playing chords with layered sounds with long release tails and using unison, note stealing can still be a thing.

Overall, I love it and wouldn't be without it, but try and get a demo of a machine running the latest firmware to see for yourself.
Richard Benn
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Richard Benn wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:14 am The Jupiter X software has evolved considerably since Gordon Reid's original review. This should hopefully list the changes: https://www.roland.com/uk/support/by_p ... 4868d7e07/

Part of the perceived complexity in the Jupiter-X comes from the fact that you can have up to four parts layered at once, and in this situation it can be confusing to know what you are tweaking when twiddling the knobs. The v1.5 update last year added a single model mode which gives just one layer and makes it feel much more like an emulation of the original models. It is surprisingly compelling.

The v3 software that came out earlier this year is even better. As well as making it much easier to get ordinary arpeggios (as opposed to the strange i-Arpeggio), it added a new synth model - the Jupiter-X. This is a four partial virtual analogue synth that maps almost exactly to the front panel controls. It's the synth that the Jupiter-X always promised to be. OK, you could probably do this via much menu diving previously, but mapping it to the hardware makes it so much more accessible. It's pretty much a new synth and wonderful sounding - imagine the Jupiter 8 updated to 2022. Probably the first time a synth gets an update to do what it looked like it did all along :D

The keypad is beautiful but the aftertouch requires a very firm pressure.

One downside thing the original review didn't delve into is the claim of Roland's marketing department that the Jupiter-X has 256 voices. It may have at a technical level but not in any way that an end user would understand it. I won't go into it here as it has been covered extensively on the thread over on Gear Space, but basically the way resources are allocated means the polyphony of the analogue models is way below that. The Juno and SH models are the worst for this. I find it's not ordinarily an issue, but if you are playing chords with layered sounds with long release tails and using unison, note stealing can still be a thing.

Overall, I love it and wouldn't be without it, but try and get a demo of a machine running the latest firmware to see for yourself.

Thanks a lot Richard Benn, the single model mode sounds what I would like to work with, I have to try this out, I’ll try and locate one today.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Ha Ha! none available, earliest times about two months.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by IAA »

There was one advertised in the selling gear section of the site…
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

IAA wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:17 pm There was one advertised in the selling gear section of the site…

1400 quid!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Arpangel »

resistorman wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:45 pm
IAA wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:17 pm There was one advertised in the selling gear section of the site…

1400 quid!

That sounds cheap, too cheap, and it’s a long way from me, wouldn’t trust shipping it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Guido3 »

The ad is legit. The chap doesn’t live far away from me. I nearly bought it a while ago but had a change of heart/plan. At that price, it’s worth a trip out IMHO.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by resistorman »

Guido3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:49 am The ad is legit. The chap doesn’t live far away from me. I nearly bought it a while ago but had a change of heart/plan. At that price, it’s worth a trip out IMHO.

Almost an excuse for a trip to Jolly Old for me :lol:

C'mon Arpy, go get it! You've been hemming and hawing over a synth for a long, long time!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

resistorman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:41 pm
Guido3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:49 am The ad is legit. The chap doesn’t live far away from me. I nearly bought it a while ago but had a change of heart/plan. At that price, it’s worth a trip out IMHO.

C'mon Arpy, go get it! You've been hemming and hawing over a synth for a long, long time!

Yes, I know I should, but diplomatically, regarding my partner, it’s a bit tricky,
boxes come in this house and no questions are asked, but a trip like this is pretty obvious, if you know the guy, I could get him to post it, but I’m not really happy with that.

:(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Guido3 »

Arpangel wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 am
resistorman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Yes, I know I should, but diplomatically, regarding my partner, it’s a bit tricky,
boxes come in this house and no questions are asked, but a trip like this is pretty obvious, if you know the guy, I could get him to post it, but I’m not really happy with that.

:(

Whereabouts are you located in the UK?
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by Arpangel »

Hi, I’m in mid Kent.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:10 am ... It's not something I'm likely to buy because my existing collection covers the ground I'd ask of it but if I was starting with an empty room and a budget it would be high on the list. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out grabbing one for myself if the price was right.

My friend is having a gear-shuffle and gave me first refusal on the Jupiter X today. Turns out the price was right. Picking it up in a couple of hours :tongue:
Eddy Deegan

Post by resistorman »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:06 pm
Eddy Deegan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:10 am ... It's not something I'm likely to buy because my existing collection covers the ground I'd ask of it but if I was starting with an empty room and a budget it would be high on the list. Having said that, I wouldn't rule out grabbing one for myself if the price was right.

My friend is having a gear-shuffle and gave me first refusal on the Jupiter X today. Turns out the price was right. Picking it up in a couple of hours :tongue:

LOL
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:06 pmMy friend is having a gear-shuffle and gave me first refusal on the Jupiter X today. Turns out the price was right. Picking it up in a couple of hours :tongue:

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. I had one here for a short while and it didn't gel with me - and my S8 sounded better as a (what I was looking for, TBH) JP8-alike.

But it's a powerful beast if you have the patience to work through that OS. The new JD-800 model should be a good 'un.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20029 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

The Elf wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:00 am
Eddy Deegan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:06 pmMy friend is having a gear-shuffle and gave me first refusal on the Jupiter X today. Turns out the price was right. Picking it up in a couple of hours :tongue:

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. I had one here for a short while and it didn't gel with me - and my S8 sounded better as a (what I was looking for, TBH) JP8-alike.

But it's a powerful beast if you have the patience to work through that OS. The new JD-800 model should be a good 'un.

It's certainly not the friendliest or most intuituive synth to navigate and I've not had time to give it any proper attention yet but I do like the way it sounds (despite a large number of 'orrible presets!) and I think it's got a lot of potential, especially in a mix.

I'll add some thoughts in due course once I've got to know it a bit better and actually used it for something, which is probably going to be quite soon as there are two sounds in there I stumbled across which, with a bit of tweaking, are exactly the sort of thing I need for an up-coming track.
Eddy Deegan