Who's the old style producer who recorded one note at a time and had a 'special box' that he'd use for his productions?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Who's the old style producer who recorded one note at a time and had a 'special box' that he'd use for his productions?

Post by TomQ »

If anyone knows, tell me. I thought it was so interesting.
TomQ
New here

Re: Who's the old style producer who recorded one note at a time and had a 'special box' that he'd use for his productio

Post by Rene Asologuitar »

TomQ wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:43 pm If anyone knows, tell me. I thought it was so interesting.

WOW!
One note at a time.
A very long project?
Or, am I misunderstanding something?
Rene
Rene Asologuitar
Poster

Re: Who's the old style producer who recorded one note at a time and had a 'special box' that he'd use for his productio

Post by Forum Admin »

One note at a time implies Step-time Recording into a Sequencer, to me. Popular approach in the '80s.

Can't think of anyone recording on tape back then one note at a time!
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Sam Inglis »

Mutt Lange is said to have recorded distorted guitars one note at a time for Def Leppard's Hysteria -- is that what you had in mind?
Sam Inglis

Post by Johnsy »

Sam Inglis wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:33 am Mutt Lange is said to have recorded distorted guitars one note at a time for Def Leppard's Hysteria -- is that what you had in mind?

... and I believe the 'special box' would be the Tom Scholz Rockman.
Johnsy
Regular

Post by Forum Admin »

You could well be right!

And here's a pic of the Rockman from Wikipedia.

Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SOS Podcasts

Post by jaminem »

Sam Inglis wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:33 am Mutt Lange is said to have recorded distorted guitars one note at a time for Def Leppard's Hysteria -- is that what you had in mind?

There's a documentary kicking around about this somewhere, apparently they did it for one specific song (which could have been Hysteria) rather than the whole album, can't remember the reason but there is definitely one.

I heard that Max Norman also did a similar things on Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction to get a specific effect, and that they also ran everything going in and coming out through a tuner...for each string!

But hey whatever works right? Angus Young uses wireless guitar systems in the studio as that's part of his sound...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

Found this insight video about the note by note recording...

https://youtu.be/bskD1iS-qto
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by resistorman »

Forum Admin wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:46 pm Found this insight video about the note by note recording...

https://youtu.be/bskD1iS-qto

Very interesting, thanks!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by MOF »

BBC radiophonic workshop did that kind of thing, ‘music concrete’, where individual notes were recorded and spliced together.
Effectively I sometimes do the same using the pencil and piano roll editor.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Traxman »

At the time Def Leppard explained that on one track a guitar was recorded one note at a time in order that a chord could be spread across the stereo mix.

Phil Collen talks refers to one note at a time recording, the use of the Rockman, Mutt Lange and the Hysteria album in this interview: https://www.guitarworld.com/gw-archive/ ... s-hysteria
Traxman
New here