Is my PC Dead? No BIOS Screen

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Is my PC Dead? No BIOS Screen

Post by Baldo »

Thanks Merlyn,

Just o clarify, I have a total of 24GB as 6 x 4GB sticks. One of the sticks AND one of slots on the mobo are faulty, slot 3.

I have put in 5 of the sticks into slots 1,2,4,5 & 6. So now the system can see 20GB. I have issues starting the machine up. It seems to stuggle a few times at the POST screen and halts at the RAM section. maybe that will resolve itself once it knows the system is now stable.

I am wondering whether to just buy a replacement Mobo, same model and model and just replace that. All the other compoents are working fine. This would certainly be the cheapest option. I really am happy with the machine as it is. As long as it starts up I really dont need a super fast system, for now.

If I do upgrade then that could cost a bit because I would have to get new; Mobo, Ram, CPU & Soundcard.
Baldo
Regular
Posts: 273 Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:00 am Location: Germany
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Post by OneWorld »

Baldo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:55 pm Thanks Merlyn,

Just o clarify, I have a total of 24GB as 6 x 4GB sticks. One of the sticks AND one of slots on the mobo are faulty, slot 3.

I have put in 5 of the sticks into slots 1,2,4,5 & 6. So now the system can see 20GB. I have issues starting the machine up. It seems to stuggle a few times at the POST screen and halts at the RAM section. maybe that will resolve itself once it knows the system is now stable.

I am wondering whether to just buy a replacement Mobo, same model and model and just replace that. All the other compoents are working fine. This would certainly be the cheapest option. I really am happy with the machine as it is. As long as it starts up I really dont need a super fast system, for now.

If I do upgrade then that could cost a bit because I would have to get new; Mobo, Ram, CPU & Soundcard.

And you could probably offset the cost a little by publishing a booklet - How to Bust a Motherboard :bouncy:

Seriously, make sure you are fully aware of the issues when building a system - a motherboard/CPU/RAM etc can be rendered useless in a matter of seconds once you start adding the various components - clear the bench/table, have all the components laid out before you, before you connect the power, check and double check everything. I have seen one brand new motherboard ruined when it was switched on, on seeing the board not booting the user pressed down on the motherboard to ascertain that everything was plugged in properly, on pressing down on the motherboard at where a connection was made, the 'give' in the motherboard meant that the connections on the underside shorted out when they made contact with the bare metal of the case - zap!!!! 1 motherboard friend

When adding components, try adding them one by one where it is practical (except the memory is in pairs as you know by now) don't bother adding soundcards, graphics cards, extra HDDs/SSDs at first, confirm the board is working as it should do in the first instance, and don't bother overclocking, get it working and settled down first
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by merlyn »

Baldo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:55 pm I am wondering whether to just buy a replacement Mobo, same model and model and just replace that. All the other compoents are working fine. This would certainly be the cheapest option. I really am happy with the machine as it is. As long as it starts up I really dont need a super fast system, for now.

Sure, that's an idea. You could pick up the same Gigabyte motherboard on ebay. It will be a bit of work to swap them over, if you feel confident with that.

If you do this it would be an idea to apply new thermal transfer compound. It's a paste that goes between the CPU and cooler. Clean the old stuff off and apply new stuff.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Baldo »

Thanks again Merly for the heada up.

"the user pressed down on the motherboard to ascertain that everything was plugged in properly, on pressing down on the motherboard at where a connection was made, the 'give' in the motherboard meant that the connections on the underside shorted out when they made contact with the bare metal of the case - zap!!!! 1 motherboard friend"

Been there and done it!!! Now I just place some kind of thin insulation material on the underside to avoid this kind of thing happening.

It seems that my best bet is to get a modo off ebay and just sway them over. I assume that I will not have to reinstall the OS. All I will be doing is taking out my current mobo and putting all the compoents onto the new one.

I have built systems before so I am confident I should be able to get it done ok. You are right. one needs a nice clean space and methodical way of working.
Baldo
Regular
Posts: 273 Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:00 am Location: Germany
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.