Synth sound of Cory Henry's solo on Lingus

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Synth sound of Cory Henry's solo on Lingus

Post by Gioppo »

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the world of analog synths; I've just bought a Nord Stage 2 with its synth panel and I'm struggling to understand it.

Last time I asked for how to recreate a Sly Stone tipe of synth. Today something new.
I'd like to recreate a sound similar to the lead synth that Cory Henry plays in this solo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

I understand this is some "standard" sound of Moog, is this true?
Someone could help me? Waves form and everything else?
Thank you all and good synhtesis
Gioppo
New here

Re: Synth sound of Cory Henry's solo on Lingus

Post by BJG145 »

Solo starts here...

https://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc?t=312

I'll be interested to hear what the experts say. In the lower section it has the reedy, hollow quality I associate with a square wave...? Low-pass filter to give it that almost muffled-Hammond sound, but with the unnatural pitchbend/vibrato giving it a synthy edge...?

He's tweaking the controls a bit as he goes. At 5.00 you can see him adjusting the filter to take the brighter sound down to a mellow, darker one, changing it until he gets it where he wants it.

https://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc?t=295

What do I get out of 10? :D
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

This was slightly harder than I thought it would be. I spent a little time on the modular but although I could get the 'synth' part of the lead sound with a couple of saw oscillators and a low-pass filter with some resonance it didn't sound as 'keyboardy' as the lead does.

So I put the modular aside and got out the same synth he's using in the video (the KingKORG).

He doesn't appear to be using a preset but I was able to get a fairly reasonable approximation of the lead. The KingKORG has 3 oscillators per voice, each of which can be one of 4 types. One of the types is PCM and amongst those is one called 'Wurly EP' which I'm pretty sure is the component of the sound that gives it the 'electric piano' feel.

I set the second oscillator to be of the 'Analogue' type (the KingKORG is a virtual analogue) and set it to a Unison Saw, with the level mixed slightly lower than the Wurly EP oscillator.

Passing these through an emulated Oberheim band pass filter with the cutoff set to about 60 out of 127 and the resonance set to about the same, adding a little delay and a smidgeon of portamento gets pretty close.

Tweaked the filter envelope to have an attack time of 20 (again, out of 127), zero decay, max sustain and a release of 45 gives it a bit of life and finally I added a bit of warmth using the tube boost.

The result is not far off at all. I don't know how you get that using a Nord but maybe there is a clue or two in the above you can use.

I really liked the performance in the video by the way :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8822 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by BJG145 »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:02 pmTweaked the filter envelope to have an attack time of 20 (again, out of 127), zero decay, max sustain and a release of 45 gives it a bit of life

That's an interesting observation, and quite subtle. So, @Gioppo, I don't know if you're familiar with envelopes...? In analogue synth terms, an envelope is most often used to describe the dynamics of a patch (eg, slow attack for strings, fast attack for guitar) but can also apply to other aspects like the filter. The sound has a kind of "bark" to it, with the filter closing down on the note once it sounds; I think that's what Eddy's referring to. ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) is a common standard.

https://www.soundonsound.com/glossary/a ... in-release
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Indeed I am, and I didn't mention the amplitude envelope at all as I thought that was fairly obvious but assumption is not always a good thing.

The educational and informative 63-part epic Synth Secrets series of articles has been linked to many times in the forum here, and rightly so.

For anyone asking 'how do I get that sound?' it's definitely worth the time to read in full. It thoroughly covers the general principles involved in sound design using synthesizers as well as a number of more in-depth things aside.
Eddy Deegan

Post by BillB »

Hey Eddy

I thought about doing the same thing. But you did it! I'll try following your description on the KK - which is a highly under-rated VA, due to having a few weaknesses - which include the keyboard, but that doesn't stop Cory, does it?! However, its basic sound is excellent. If it's good enough for Cory, it's way too good for me.

Got to hope, Gioppo, (welcome, by the way) that if you get the sound, you won't be too disappointed that you still don't sound like Cory.... Crikey - what a performance from him and the band - one of my all-time favourites. It raises a smile every time it pops up on my playlist.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Martin Walker »

BillB wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:19 pm Got to hope, Gioppo, (welcome, by the way) that if you get the sound, you won't be too disappointed that you still don't sound like Cory.... Crikey - what a performance from him and the band - one of my all-time favourites. It raises a smile every time it pops up on my playlist.

Yep, Cory Henry's solo in that track is not only stunning , and also drooled over by musicians around the world (including me! ;) )

And welcome to the SOS Forums from me Gioppo! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Martin Walker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:28 pm ...Cory Henry's solo in that track is not only stunning , and also drooled over by musicians around the world (including me! ;) )

He's a very talented performer indeed. I was especially impressed with his left hand mirroring his right towards the end of the solo. On the basis of that track I bought the album :-)

BillB wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:19 pm ... the KK - which is a highly under-rated VA

It is. I think the name didn't do it any favours but as a synth it's really, really good and will always be a keeper in my studio.

BillB wrote:... a few weaknesses - which include the keyboard

Well, perhaps ... but it's not a weakness that's ever bothered me. Given it's amazing capability for soaring leads and bouncy arpeggiations I've found the light synth-action keyboard to be more of a good thing than anything else. It's amazing for playing fast solos on!

BillB wrote: However, its basic sound is excellent.

I couldn't agree more. It's a wonderful instrument and extremely capable, as I hope I show a glimmer of in the description I made above about how I recreated the sound in question.

Sure, it's digital but that doesn't make an iota of difference because it sounds so good. With 4 different oscillator types (and many variations of each), 3 oscillators per voice, modelling of a bunch of filter types from Moog, through Korg to Oberheim and much in between, 'knob-per-parameter' layout (for the most part) and some very usable and easy effects it's a wonderful addition to my studio and I've always valued it highly.

It is also a superb machine for EDM sounds; it can do that 'high fizzy punchy arpeggiated poly-synth sound' trick better than most anything I've played.

There's a track I created a while ago which shows this off in spades and I think I should upload a demo to Soundcloud at some point. I'll need to dig it out and clean it up first but it really does show how good the KingKORG can handle those duties ;)
Eddy Deegan

Post by BillB »

Please do that, Eddy, and share. :thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

King Korg, f*****g wonderful, and what’s more, I want one, and can’t get one.
That sound, like my Mini Moog, with pulse waves, very similar.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:04 am King Korg, f*****g wonderful, and what’s more, I want one, and can’t get one.

2 on Gumtree at the moment £495 (cash and collect) and £550 will post.
Both black :geek::geek: Just saying.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

BillB wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:46 pm
Arpangel wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:04 am King Korg, f*****g wonderful, and what’s more, I want one, and can’t get one.

2 on Gumtree at the moment £495 (cash and collect) and £550 will post.
Both black :geek::geek: Just saying.

Damn!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster