Eddy Deegan, meet Nina, and then get your credit card out

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Eddy Deegan, meet Nina, and then get your credit card out

Post by Martin Walker »

New analog synth coming to NAMM 2022

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lmrAHSgHwdM

Nina is a 12-voice analogue polysynth with motorised knobs - when you select a preset, all of them will immediately move to their correction positions. As you can see and hear, patch morphing is an option, too.

See what you think Eddy, and of course everybody else ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Eddy Deegan, meet Nina, and then get your credit card out

Post by BJG145 »

Martin Walker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 pmNina is a 12-voice analogue polysynth with motorised knobs

...motorised...knobs...

Sensory overload. :lolno::crazy:
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by resistorman »

BJG145 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:41 pm
Martin Walker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 pmNina is a 12-voice analogue polysynth with motorised knobs

...motorised...knobs...

Sensory overload. :lolno::crazy:

Just try to replace them when they go bad :mrgreen: It would make finding obsolete ICs seem trivial.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2692 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ajay_m »

But why? If behringer could put 32 rotary encoders with led collars in the bcr2000 for £150 why not just go that way and have no moving parts. Even if the underlying circuitry is analogue you could drive that with those digital pot chips and have a design that has almost no failure points.
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by muzines »

Internet forums: "Where's all the innovation? Why aren't companies trying something new? Why are they falling back on the same old things?"

Company tries something new.

Internet forums: "What's the point? Who needs this? Who asked for this? Why don't they just use this other thing that other companies have already done that was fine?"

I'm all for companies trying stuff, especially if they genuinely think it works well. And many of the people who demand innovative products just don't realise how conservative this segment is. Innovation has often done very poorly in the market (eg, "Wavestation? Meh, it doesn't even have a piano sound...").

Is this particular feature genuinely useful, or just a gimmick that isn't that great? No idea - but when a few more people use it, I'm sure we'll find out. It's not something that has never been thought of before, it's just a tricky one to implement well, and reliably, and is probably expensive too.

Honestly, I'm fine with people trying out more experiments in the user interface of these things (especially in the softwaresynth controller space, which is... dire...)
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I love the concept! I'd prefer the teaser not to have wild panning on the sound but of course that's not a reflection on the product at all, just the choices of the demo creators.

I will be watching this with interest, thank you Martin :D
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8845 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Folderol »

Quite honestly I'm not impressed. The same can be readily done with MIDI-learned setups on any decent soft-synth - so there's your visual with no actual moving parts to wear out.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18208 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by OneWorld »

Sounds like a glorified wah-wah pedal - there's a whole lotta wee-wahin' goin' on

Sounds like a bit of a one trick pony sort of thing
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

OneWorld wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:46 pm Sounds like a glorified wah-wah pedal - there's a whole lotta wee-wahin' goin' on

Sounds like a bit of a one trick pony sort of thing

A demo does not a synth make, as we saw (and sadly heard) with the Andersons video on the Behringer UB-Xa.

What I took from the Nina short teaser wasn't the sound or the capabilities of the engine but the fact that someone has designed and implemented automated motorised knobs.

This could be a huge thing and with respect I think some previous repliers to the topic are overlooking the implications.

I could waffle on as to why but I'll raise two salient points:

1) Look at what fader automation did for mixing desks
2) Analogue synth hardware suffers from a limitation that when recalling a preset the physical knobs on the control surface don't reflect the current settings

This is why features such as a dot next to a parameter value on an LCD indicates the knob not matching the preset value, and why we have global settings to determine whether a knob is going to jump to a new value when turned or whether to remain ineffective until the existing value is met during the operation of turning it.

Of course plugins/softsynths can do it already but for those of us with analogue (and even digital-with-knobs) synth hardware the potential is a very exciting prospect indeed.

All the above aside, I still want to know more about the synth that is Nina and will keep a weather-eye (ear?) open!
Eddy Deegan

Post by BJG145 »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:11 pmLook at what fader automation did for mixing desks

...yep, I was thinking that if they implemented a record/playback feature it could encourage a new approach to modulation; a bit like the Mod Sequencer on the MS2000, but with continuous values instead of steps. But I think you'd need touch-sensitive controls to do it effectively, like the touch-sensitive motorised faders on a desk that can flip into write-mode when you adjust them. Definitely an interesting innovation though.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by t-sun »

On the one hand, 12-voice all analog with what looks like nice, chunky build quality and plenty of features is always nice.

On the other hand, motorized anything are both guaranteed to fail and to be expensive or difficult to both produce reliably and to later replace.

Given that this is full analog, I'm thinking this was their solution to the fact that a full analog synth can't actually have patch memory because it would require digital control of the knobs to some degree. Seems to be a complaint with some DAW people who buy an analog monosynth and then don't understand why it's not controllable by MIDI. If you absolutely, positively have to have a completely analog synthesizer with modern conveniences...

Over/under on price? I'm thinking 4K local currency units. Could be up there in Moog One territory, or maybe they manage to get it priced around Polybrute.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

t-sun wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:02 am ... motorized anything are both guaranteed to fail and to be expensive or difficult to both produce reliably and to later replace.

I gently disagree. Not insofar as I'd go so far as a motorised fader or pot will match the life expectancy of a dumb fader or pot but we've had motorised faders for a long time now and they seem extremely reliable.

Where I would possibly agree with you is that the life of motorised controls of any sort is a bit of an unknown: I'm sure many of us have had a floppy drive fail after 20 years for example. But overall the fader solutions seem fairly robust and long-lived. I've also resurrected floppy drives with a new rubber belt more than once.

To my way of thinking the biggest issue with longevity is capacitors as opposed to mechanics. But I agree that if there are rubber belts involved they should be spec'd for decades of use. If the motors are well made they should last for as long as the capacitors and should also be replaceable in 20 years although one suspects that by then there should be replacement models to choose from.

BJG145 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:49 pm ... I was thinking that if they implemented a record/playback feature ...

Now you're talking my language :)
Eddy Deegan

Post by zenguitar »

https://reverb.com/uk/item/1403837-sold ... s-rare-slo

Guitarists had something along these lines decades ago ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12560 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Martin Walker »

Well Nina has certainly generated a lot of interest!

Let's hope future demos highlight her strengths in a more obvious fashion.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by pax-eterna »

Martin Walker wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 pmNew analog synth coming to NAMM 2022

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lmrAHSgHwdM

Nina is a 12-voice analogue polysynth with motorised knobs - when you select a preset, all of them will immediately move to their correction positions. As you can see and hear, patch morphing is an option, too.

See what you think Eddy, and of course everybody else ;)

Martin

This is going to be BIG dollars!
pax-eterna
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

Want it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:16 am

BJG145 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:49 pm ... I was thinking that if they implemented a record/playback feature ...

Now you're talking my language :)

I can't see it being much use without the ability to record the movements. For me the demo left me a bit non-plussed, I thought ok, we have some filter sweeps and such - so what next? But yes if there is the addition of recording, then wow, it would be like having 8 hands, all making changes simultaneously, yo could go crazy with that, not modulation but madulation.

In a more general sense, it is good to see new developments coming along and this might be something the more established marques, Yamaha, Korg, Roland et al might licence and use in their products
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

It's clever, I'll give them that. But, there's a difference between being innovative and just bolting on some motorized pots to a moldering paradigm.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

As far as motorized synths go, I'd call the Gamechanger Audio MOTOR Synth Mk2 innovative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81RCOBrrcM&t=61s
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Post by Ian Shaw »

zenguitar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:42 amhttps://reverb.com/uk/item/1403837-sold ... s-rare-slo

Guitarists had something along these lines decades ago ;)

Andy :beamup:

I had a Yamaha rackmount thing that had motorised knobs many moons ago. I think Alan Holdsworth used one. My band mates were well-impressed:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/54003713-vin ... 0-s-1990-s

PS. Not by my guitar sound or playing, it has to be said
Ian Shaw
Regular
Posts: 179 Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:00 am Location: Somerset
'...and when we got bored, we have a world war...'