Keyboard EQ

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Keyboard EQ

Post by MarkOne »

Mike Stranks wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:15 am I once had the privilege (yup, I know I've told this tale before!) of sitting in on a rehearsal with a world-renowned (in church circles) composer, performer and worship-leader. I knew her long before she became all those things and she always struck me as a gentle and gracious person. it was a revelation to see her leading her church group in practice for just an ordinary service. She retained her graciousness but was very firm. No, 'keys', you do not play those notes, they're for the bass; 'drums': no fills required, thanks, we just need the steady rhythm to stop the song dragging. Etc etc. No-one could enter the group without an audition and she had a strict 'no practice then no service' rule. The icing on the cake for me as a soundie was that on Sunday, soundcheck was just that - not another thinly-disguised practice!

I did a training day a number of years back with a similar person with I suspect a similar background and was blown away by:
a) how tightly they controlled the session
b) how nice they were wile doing it

Also, showing how much nicer it sounded if you all simplified what you were playing. You don't need a Chris Squire bass part and a Joe Satriani shred when your role is to LEAD THE SINGING
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Crash006 »

I wanted to let everyone know we found a partial solutions to this.

Through a practice session we discovered that our Yamaha TF3 board has the compressor turned on by default on all outputs with the setting be a 6-1 ratio. Once I disabled the compressor everything changed, not sure why it is on by default.
Crash006
Regular

Post by SoundArfa »

Glad you identified a problem and resolved it.

I'm new here (first post) but my observation/comments, apart from agreeing with the point about the band members needing to play in the right ranges at the right time, are as follows:

-Keys are a full range instrument with a significant low end so you don't necessarily have to engage high pass filters to the individual channel (as you also wouldn't for kick drum or bass), and certainly not as high as 150. The full range of the instrument needs to be able to come through FoH
-Does your FoH have a subwoofer to handle low end? If so, you need to select the appropriate cross over frequency on your speaker tops and sub(s) - these are also sometimes labelled as high pass or low pass
-As you are monitoring with wedges rather than in ears you might need to discuss with the keyboardist that it's not ideal to have a lot of low end on stage near to microphones as this will cause feedback. Powered monitors often have a DSP setting for monitoring which does cut low end. This is best for the band, but you could assure the player that her low end will be coming through FoH so she will still hear that, just not from her monitor.
-If she insists on having low end on stage could she purchase a small keys amp with a DI out feature from which you could take a send to FoH, via a passive DI box which is designed to take amp direct out signals? That way she gets what she wants and you get a signal that you can shape for FoH.
SoundArfa
Poster

Post by tacitus »

Most “normal pianists”, especially ones who’ve taken ABRSM exams every couple of terms at school, use far too much left hand in a band situation. You get lessons emphasising the equality of left and right hand, but usually anything more than a right-hand part clogs something up; guitar, bass, vocals or whatever. We always reckoned the ideal rock keyboard player would have a maximum of one arm …
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Post by shufflebeat »

Sorted.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by MarkOne »

tacitus wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:08 pm We always reckoned the ideal rock keyboard player would have a maximum of one arm …

But how would I do the full Mellotron choir and the epic Moog lead then?

Not to mention holding down the hammond chords while sticking the daggers into the keybed? :mrgreen:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by sonics »

MarkOne wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:41 pm
tacitus wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:08 pm We always reckoned the ideal rock keyboard player would have a maximum of one arm …

But how would I do the full Mellotron choir and the epic Moog lead then?

Not to mention holding down the hammond chords while sticking the daggers into the keybed? :mrgreen:

I wasn't going to respond to that slur, but it just so happens that I've been playing one-handed Hammond palm glides this month, due to the temporary unavailability of my left hand.
That and a lot of other things I play need both hands...and for me it used to be Solina and ARP. :)

And try holding up an L-100 with one arm. (R.I.P. Keith)
sonics
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1582 Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Canada

Post by Sam Spoons »

Just when I was starting to think that playing a bit of blues/rock Hammond wasn't entirely beyond me, :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19589 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.